Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charities Kids Dig
midaycare 01:59 PM 09-07-2015
I take some of the daycare money each week and have the "kids" donate (by working around the daycare), to two different charities. One is local and for $10 a week it provides a backpack of food for four families for a weekend (Blessings in a Backpack). About $2.50 feeds a family. We give it to a local school and it stays within the school.

Then we do a non-local charity. Last year it was Heifer International. The kids had fun saving for different animals, and I love the concept, but we are ready for something new.

Any ideas? I was thinking animal or child related...but need suggestions on good charities. ???
permanentvacation 06:46 PM 09-07-2015
These are not all just money donations, but you could use the money to purchase items and donate the items as well.

Local animal shelters - donate money, dog food, cat food, pet beds, pet toys

I don't know how cold it gets in your area, but at my local elementary school, people can donate winter hats, gloves, and coats for the kids in the school. At the beginning of the school year, people can donate book bags full of school supplies.

You could donate food to food pantries if there are any near you.

You can donate books (maybe money too) to the library.

You can donate to a leukemia (cancer that most often affects children) fund or other specialized health fund, local hospital, or nursing home.

You can donate to a zoo, aquarium, Save the Whales, ASPCA, etc. You can get ideas if you Google 'donate to animals'

You can donate to Red Cross

You can donate to Habitat for Humanity

If you Google 'where to donate money' you can get ideas.

You can donate to Women and Children shelters and homeless shelters. For them, you can usually donate money, clothes, toiletries such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, shampoo/conditioner, toilet paper, children's books, etc. You would have to call your local shelters (if you have any near you) and ask what type of donations they take.

You can see if you have a Toys for Tots toy drive around you.

You can be a Secret Santa for a family in need.

You can donate money and/or items to the Ronald McDonald Houses. If you pull them up online, you can donate money online. Many people really don't know what they are. If a child is extremely ill ( I think they might have to be terminally ill) and has to be admitted to a hospital far away from their home for a while, their parents can stay for free at a Ronald McDonald house. It's sort of like a hotel. It has many rooms, a cafeteria, laundry room, etc. But the family members have to help take care of their room and stuff. They don't have a real maid service and all (from what I understand). Years ago when I lived in Georgia, my older daughter had to go to the children's hospital in Florida. I happened to drive past a Ronald McDonald House and went in to ask about it. The next time I drove to that hospital, I donated things like blankets, toiletries, and such. They were very appreciative.
permanentvacation 06:51 PM 09-07-2015
By the way, what you are doing is AWESOME! It's teaching the children about other people and animals' situations and to care about others in the world. It is also teaching them that even though they are young, they can help others and make a difference in someone's life. I absolutely love that you are teaching your children to donate to charities!
permanentvacation 07:01 PM 09-07-2015
You can donate to WWF (World Wildlife Fund). You can simply donate money or 'adopt' an animal.
permanentvacation 07:10 PM 09-07-2015
Please know that I am just throwing ideas out there. I don't know how much of your money will actually go to the people or animals that these charities are for or if all of the ones that I am mentioning are legit or not. You would have to research them and see which ones you feel comfortable with.
permanentvacation 07:12 PM 09-07-2015
You could also look into charities that are more about saving the planet. I don't know how old your kids are and whether or not that type of charity would interest them.

Or you could look into things like disaster relief funds, or helping kids overseas if you want something more international.
midaycare 07:21 PM 09-07-2015
Thanks PV for all the ideas!

I've been looking at WWF and I'm also considering one called Osman Hope. Osman Hope gives education to students in Honduras. Most of the kids drop out early there, especially girls. Osman Hope build schools and keeps the kids on sight and provides food and shelter for them. They donate 100% of their donations, so I think: awesome! But then I think the dck's would have a difficult time understanding that charity.

WWF seems easier to explain, and I love your ideas about donating to our local schools and animal shelters.

Part of me wants to make one of the charities international - like last year. The other part thinks I should make both local so the kids understand it more. Decisions, decisions.
permanentvacation 07:26 PM 09-07-2015
You're welcome. I just think it's so great that you are teaching your kids about charities!
midaycare 07:30 PM 09-07-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
You're welcome. I just think it's so great that you are teaching your kids about charities!
Thanks!
racemom 07:45 PM 09-07-2015
Our local children's zoo let's you "adopt"an animal. Each animal costs a different amount, depending on size. You get to have a behind the scenes meeting with a zookeeper and the animal, and then they send you a monthly update on your animal. If you do field trips the shelter would also be a place where you could take the kids so they could see what their money is helping. Let them pet and play with the animals and learn about feeding and caring for animal.

Children charities I would support are make a wish, and team jack, which is supports pediatric brain cancer research and families affected by it. Also, children's hospitals usually have a place you can donate things for the kids who are there.
MsLisa 06:15 AM 09-08-2015
This is a great thread cause I was just researching to do the same thing!
I found this on another YMCA's page and wanted to implement it here in mine. Maybe it'll spark some ideas here too. I love the zoo idea! I might add that instead in Feb.

January: Pet donations- food, toys, blankets, litter, etc (Pet Friends)
February: Youth empowering Youth (youth as resources- helping others, posters)
March: Y Campaign: My Y Week- basket raffles, Relays and Runs(Strong Communities Campaign)
April: Shoe box surprise (Jacobs Heart)
May: Bouquet of kindness (Cards/paper made flowers to school personnel, garden)
August: Campus Clean up (School campus)
September: Pennies in Piggies (United Way)
October: Trick or Treat for Toiletries (Homeless Shelter)
November: Decorate a Tree (Downtown association- donate to local family), Collect food (Local Food Bank)
December: Holiday Placemats (Nursing center or Meals on Wheels)
butterfly 08:00 AM 09-08-2015
One that we do is Operation Christmas Child through Samaritan's purse.

We fill a shoebox size box with toys, school supplies, etc for children.

The kids could each bring one small item to contribute. My kids love doing it every year. We've already started filling our boxes for this year.
Pepperth 10:21 AM 09-08-2015
A canned food drive
Presents for Nursing Home patients at Christmas time.
Sponsor a family at Christmas Time
Mittens & winter hat drive
midaycare 11:00 AM 09-08-2015
I don't know why, but it hadn't occured to me to change our 2nd charity every so often. I like the idea of doing different ones! Then when the kids need a change, it is very easy to do.

So many great ideas here
crazydaycarelady 08:13 AM 09-09-2015
I love that you do this also - it teaches the kids so much!

I do something similar with the kids every year around the holidays. One year we made and sold dog biscuits and then donated the money to the local animal shelter ($237!) Another year we collected items and sent boxes to deployed military. One year we made goodies and delivered them to police/fire and a shelter.
Reply Up