Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"Bathroom Talk"
gkids09 09:27 PM 11-16-2010
Okay...I have a question...What, if anything, do you do when your daycare kids start talking "bathroom talk" as we call it at my daycare...Obviously not like when they need to go to the bathroom, but when they are just playing and look at each other and to be funny, they say things like peepee or poopy or whatever they think of. I know it doesn't sound like a horrible situation, but I have several kids who think it's hilarious to talk about these things (smells, appearances, etc.) as soon as we sit down to eat lunch. It's really gross, and I have one 3 year old boy who has a VERY weak stomach..He gags almost every day because of the other kids talking like that! I've even got one who sits down at the table and just LITERALLY says "BATHROOM TALK! HAHAHA!!" (She's ONLY TWO.) lol
I have finally come to the point where, when the kids start it, I tell them they will have to go talk to the potty if they use potty words at the table. I have sent two to the bathroom and told them to say all the potty words they want to TO the potty, and then they can come back out with the rest of us because we don't care to hear it.
Any other advice, or opinions on this???
TIA.
misol 04:58 AM 11-17-2010
Oooooh, we have the same problem here! I guess once they hit 3 1/2 the potty humor light bulb goes off in their head and it's non-stop from there. If I hear it I'll give them a warning and say "OK, that's enough". If it continues, I'll remove the offender from the group and let them do individual play until they are ready to use nice words. I don't tolerate it at the table at all though. The kids know that if I hear it at the table, the offender will be be removed from the table and can return to eat lunch alone once everyone else has finished. I only had to make an example out of one person and that seems to have nipped that in the bud. I do like the idea of sending them to the potty if they start using potty talk. I'll try that one today to see how it works for us.
QualiTcare 05:06 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Oooooh, we have the same problem here! I guess once they hit 3 1/2 the potty humor light bulb goes off in their head and it's non-stop from there. If I hear it I'll give them a warning and say "OK, that's enough". If it continues, I'll remove the offender from the group and let them do individual play until they are ready to use nice words. I don't tolerate it at the table at all though. The kids know that if I hear it at the table, the offender will be be removed from the table and can return to eat lunch alone once everyone else has finished. I only had to make an example out of one person and that seems to have nipped that in the bud. I do like the idea of sending them to the potty if they start using potty talk. I'll try that one today to see how it works for us.
lunch alone is what i was going to say. something extreme to let them know you're serious. it's perfectly normal and even expected that kids will start doing this, but yeah, they def. have to learn not at the table.
TGT09 05:56 AM 11-17-2010
I think "going to talk to the potty" is a great way to handle it and just might even pull this one with my school agers (whom are the worse ones here for that).
melskids 05:59 AM 11-17-2010
oh, my SAgers too....and it seems the more i correct it the more they do it. and when i ask them if they talk like that at home they tell me yes.
Gurdy 07:24 AM 11-17-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
Okay...I have a question...What, if anything, do you do when your daycare kids start talking "bathroom talk" as we call it at my daycare...Obviously not like when they need to go to the bathroom, but when they are just playing and look at each other and to be funny, they say things like peepee or poopy or whatever they think of. I know it doesn't sound like a horrible situation, but I have several kids who think it's hilarious to talk about these things (smells, appearances, etc.) as soon as we sit down to eat lunch. It's really gross, and I have one 3 year old boy who has a VERY weak stomach..He gags almost every day because of the other kids talking like that! I've even got one who sits down at the table and just LITERALLY says "BATHROOM TALK! HAHAHA!!" (She's ONLY TWO.) lol
I have finally come to the point where, when the kids start it, I tell them they will have to go talk to the potty if they use potty words at the table. I have sent two to the bathroom and told them to say all the potty words they want to TO the potty, and then they can come back out with the rest of us because we don't care to hear it.
Any other advice, or opinions on this???
TIA.
LOL. I love the way you handled this!! I would stick to your approach!!
countrymom 07:29 AM 11-17-2010
I'm going to use that too, I just hollar, 'no potty talk"
laundrymom 10:32 AM 11-17-2010
Here if someone is being upsetting at the table they get one warning,... if it happens again they leave the table, sit on their cot until lunch os over, then return to the table when others are done. While the offender is eating we do something fun like,.. putting on loud music and dancing, or if its nap time I get a "special book out" (I have pop ups with sound!!) and we read that so the child can hear,.. but not see the book. They hate it and are the best behaved at the next meal. Im keeping the talk to the potty idea in my arsenal though,.. I think that will come in handy!!
Tags:bad words
Reply Up