Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Adjusting to Daycare
Jdy2222 07:02 AM 03-12-2018
Last week I added a 23 MO old and 6 MO old to my home daycare. Little one is doing great, big sis is not. At all. Constant crying and whimpering. Won't talk, won't eat, won't play, not engaging despite lots of silliness and other kids here. I'm willing to give it some time, but what's the pattern you've seen? So far she's been a bit "worse" each day. Any suggestions to ease this? I've never had one have this rough a time. 🙁
Mike 07:43 AM 03-12-2018
Have you tried letting her help you with her little brother/sister?
What about letting her talk to mom or dad on the phone for a few minutes?
Others here likely have better ideas, but these are things I've done before.
Blackcat31 07:53 AM 03-12-2018
Originally Posted by Jdy2222:
Last week I added a 23 MO old and 6 MO old to my home daycare. Little one is doing great, big sis is not. At all. Constant crying and whimpering. Won't talk, won't eat, won't play, not engaging despite lots of silliness and other kids here. I'm willing to give it some time, but what's the pattern you've seen? So far she's been a bit "worse" each day. Any suggestions to ease this? I've never had one have this rough a time. 🙁
Has the child been in care before?
Is the family full or part time?

I think past experiences with being left in someone else's care and the parenting style in each family impacts the adjustment period for all children.

I've had kids that took a long time to fully adjust to care and have had some just fit right in after only a couple days. I've also had kids that never fully adjusted at all so its definitely a different and unique experience for all
Jdy2222 08:17 AM 03-12-2018
This is her first time in daycare and she's very attached to mom, from what grandma said. She's also used to having a bottle in her mouth whenever she wants, which is definitely part of the adjustment here.
Tags:adjusting to daycare
Reply Up