Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Often Do You Send Kids Home Sick?
Live and Learn 10:16 AM 12-01-2010
I have one lil guy who I have had to send home with a fever four times since sept. The fever is always apparent after first nap. none of my other dck have had to go home midday due to illness. if the other lil guys are sick their parents stay home with them. No problem. I feel these parents are doping their kid up on motrin or something and pawning off their sick kid on me.
So I am just wondering....how many times a winter on average do you have to call parents at work to come and get their sick kid.?
I wish I had some sort of scanner on my front door that would trip a siren and flashing lights if it detected fever reducers on a kid....I have a bad nose and can never smell these meds!
DancingQueen 10:17 AM 12-01-2010
2 times all year. 2 different kids.
SandeeAR 10:22 AM 12-01-2010
None, sinced I started in Jan.
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 12-01-2010
Only one kid... but I've had to send him home twice because he sounds exactly like yours.....he only seems to get a temp 4-6 hours after he arrives. He is 3 so I asked him if he got meds and he says yes if he did. After he said yes once, I told DCM that it will NOT happen again. I'd like to term but am low on kids right now so I deal...but Grrrrrrr! atleast if he gets a temp in the afternoon, I still get paid and she can't use the day as a sick day.
MarinaVanessa 10:35 AM 12-01-2010
Twice this year. same kid, same symptom (fever), and same situation as you. Kid would arrive around 9 and after nap he'd have a fever. What can you do right? If you can't smell it or have proof that they're doping the kids up there's not much you can do except call right after nap and have him picked up. Don't forget to tell them that he can't come back until he's been fever free without meds for 24 hours!
TGT09 11:12 AM 12-01-2010
3 times, 2 different children in the 18 mos I've been open.
Live and Learn 11:45 AM 12-01-2010
In the six years I have been doing this I would estimate that I have sent kids home sick midday approximately 10 times.......this one kid four times this school year and the same kid three times last school year. It is hard for me to imagine how on seven different occasions they couldn't tell their own child was sick. My policy is the same as the school policy under 100.0 without meds for 24 hours. In October in one week they brought the child on Monday...home by noon. Stayed home Tuesday. Brought child Wednesday....home by noon. Stayed home Thursday. Brought child for an hour in the afternoon Friday so that parent could go to his classroom. The child screamed bloody murder for an hour so I took temp ....can you guess? Over 100 degrees. Each time they brought the child back here they said child had no fever at all just a little cranky maybe....probably teething!! yah right! It has gotten to the point where I really don't trust these parents. I feel like I am being taken advantage of and that they are risking the health of the other youngsters...and myself.
Live and Learn 05:42 PM 12-01-2010
Ok so **** went home with a fever yesterday. Will ****come tomorrow and then wake from morning nap with a fever? We shall see. I am running out of patience.
misol 07:05 PM 12-01-2010
Been in the business for a little over a year and have never sent anyone home sick.
Rachel 10:39 PM 12-01-2010
Fever tends to get higher in the afternoon / evening. I only have aftercare now, but my kids go to school / preschool until 1:30. It's happened more than once that I dropped off a kid who was acting fine and picked up a kid with fever. No medicine given, I didn't know the child was sick.

In answer, because I have after care this year I rarely send kids home sick. It happened once last year. When I start doing full time daycare next year I expect I'll send home kids more based on friends of mine who send out to daycare and always seem to be picking up kids who seemed fine in the morning, but are sick by 1.
boysx5 02:42 AM 12-02-2010
well in the last two weeks three children everyone in daycare has had the stomach virus. Yesterday one of my families who never stays home when their children are sick was the one who got sick well it took three hours for them to pick her up. I also suggested that they take her to the dr. since one of the children had strep along with the vomiting and to make sure all the other parents did this but I know this family won't and two years ago this happenend and I ended up with strep right at Chrismtas time I did tell him she could not come back today but I'm' sure the mom will try today to bring her back they hate taking time off.
Live and Learn 09:17 AM 12-02-2010
Well, ***** stayed home sick again today. Thanks to all of you who responded to my question. Sometimes when you spend the days with only lil people you start to wonder what is normal sick frequency. Some people get sick more often then others I know that. My problem is when they show up HERE sick.
I have decided that the freqency that lil **** shows up here sick is really outside of the norm. In six years I have only had to send other kids home midday sick 3 TIMES TOTAL!
I have been a parent for 17 years and in that entire time I have only had to pick my own children from school early due to illness 3 times total.
So maybe they aren't doping ***** up with fever reducers but at the least they aren't very observant. Just one look at this kid in the morning and I asked, "is ***** feeling ok?"...answer...little fussy this morning-must be teething! ****'s eyes were all glassy and face all chapped around the nose and mouth and bottom all rashy..... hmmmmm.....when I say not very observant I am being very generous with my "benefit of the doubt" philosophy!!!
FYI this is an only child of older highly educated parents. What does this kid need to do to get the parent's attention?
Gosh, sorry this turned into a rant please forgive me!
Unregistered 11:36 AM 05-16-2014
I have a two year old that has been sent home midday from his center over 15 times in the last three months for claims of a temp over 101. He showed no signs of sickness when dropped off or picked up 90% of the time. We have had to pay for two Dr visits in order to get a note to allow him back the next day (which we received both times) and inquired unnecessary medical bills because of it. Today was his last day at this center due to the growing frustration we have from this situation and in true form I was called at 11am by the center director and my son needed to be picked up right away due to a temp. I got there and had them take his temp in front of me...it took them 3 times but they managed to squeak out a 101.2 on the thermometer. Pretty sure if you ran mine 4 times you would get the same result. I have urged other parents in the center with similar complaints to yank their kids as well. Most parents cannot afford to stay home from work and pay providers on top of it. My suggestion to all providers is to keep a clean daycare and also make sure a child is actually sick/contagious before interrupting a parents work day.
Blackcat31 11:41 AM 05-16-2014
So your son did or didn't have a temp of 101.2F?

If he did, then he should have been sent home.

I am not understanding what the issue is?

If he had a temp any of the times he was sent home, then the center is doing what it is suppose to do.

If you feel they were lying about the temp, I would have pulled my child the first time I had trust issues and called it good.

I certainly wouldn't have continued to bring him back for 3 more months.

I also wouldn't encourage other parents to pull their child because of an experience YOU had.

As adults, those parents are plenty old enough to make up their own minds.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a two year old that has been sent home midday from his center over 15 times in the last three months for claims of a temp over 101. He showed no signs of sickness when dropped off or picked up 90% of the time. We have had to pay for two Dr visits in order to get a note to allow him back the next day (which we received both times) and inquired unnecessary medical bills because of it. Today was his last day at this center due to the growing frustration we have from this situation and in true form I was called at 11am by the center director and my son needed to be picked up right away due to a temp. I got there and had them take his temp in front of me...it took them 3 times but they managed to squeak out a 101.2 on the thermometer. Pretty sure if you ran mine 4 times you would get the same result. I have urged other parents in the center with similar complaints to yank their kids as well. Most parents cannot afford to stay home from work and pay providers on top of it. My suggestion to all providers is to keep a clean daycare and also make sure a child is actually sick/contagious before interrupting a parents work day.

Second Home 11:56 AM 05-16-2014
In most states we are required by law to send a child home with a fever . So that is what responsible providers do.

If we let a sick child into care then they may make all the other kids and provider sick . Every parent will be forced to keep their child home when the provider is too ill to care for the children . Parents would be calling out of work much more due to their child getting sick more often .

Maybe it is the parents who need to keep their home clean to avoid their child getting sick and spreading it to the daycare .
Tags:send home, sick policy
Reply Up