Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Child and Naps
spud912 04:20 PM 12-06-2011
I have a new child (12 month dcg) who apparently takes one 2-3 hour nap at home and with the past provider, but not at all here. In the meantime, she manages to wake everyone else up in the house (we have a small house with thin walls). I was wondering if you all had any suggestions or at least tell me that she will adjust and take a nap within a couple of days. Otherwise, this will not last because hearing 5 children cry and whine due to lack of sleep will either cause me to terminate her or quit myself (ok, exaggeration on the last comment, but I feel like I will go insane, and this is only after 2 days!).
caring4kidsinSD 05:11 PM 12-06-2011
How long has she been in your care? It takes time. I am still working on one of mine i got a month ago. I moved her as far away from the kids as I could.

Did you ask mom how she takes the nap at home? Is she rocked to sleep? Does she sleep with a certain blankie, use a paci? etc I had one who needed soothing music to fal asleep for a while. Is the room too light or too dark? I have one who doesn't sleep if the room is too dark - wakes up totally scared. Just some suggestions for you that I've learned over the years.
spud912 05:26 PM 12-06-2011
Thanks so much for the response!

It's her second day. I will be putting her in a room alone tomorrow in hopes that prevents her from waking up the others. She seems to be in a good mood the entire time (talking and playing), so she doesn't seem scared. I did ask her parents today about their rituals and have not received a response yet.

So I guess it can take awhile? I was hoping it would only take a couple more days .
Meyou 12:51 AM 12-07-2011
It's probably going to take a couple of weeks. Get set up so she can be separate and you have as much white noise going as you can to block her crying from the other kids. It took 3 weeks for my last 12 month old that started to settle at naptime and get into the routine.
cheerfuldom 06:05 AM 12-07-2011
if the parents are not communicating well with you, it is very possible that she was not that great of a napper as they described. perhaps there was no "ritual". perhaps they put her down whenever she passed out, which might not be the same times that you need her to nap. perhaps she just screamed during nap time but it didnt bother the last provider. anyway, i would hang in there for two weeks and then decide.
Tags:anxiety, new child, new daycare, training, transitioning
Reply Up