Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Even a Merry Christmas :o(
godiva83 07:14 AM 12-22-2011
I would like to believe I am appreciated for all the hard work, love, and time I devote to my DCF's but not even one parent wished me a Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas. I wasn't expecting anything from these parents, but I am a little disappointed and at a time where I have been so sick and stressed out it would have been SO nice to get a card or a simple 'Merry Christmas, enjoy your time with your family.'

This is the first year in 10 that I haven't received anything!
Although I used to be Supervisor in a large centre, this is only my 2nd Christmas running a home daycare
Springdaze 07:24 AM 12-22-2011
Merry Christmas!
I fight feeling like I don't do a great job sometimes too, but you have to know that sometimes the only appreciation you will get is a check for the kids to come back the next week! I can beileve ONE parent might neglect to say it, but ALL of them! anyway, Im sure you are doing a terrific job and the kids love you! And hey, now you have one more thing you can teach the kids......MANNERS!
MarinaVanessa 07:39 AM 12-22-2011
I don't expect anything from any of my families and that includes a "Merry Christmas". It's silly of me to take something like that personal if they forget to wish me a happy holiday or just simply don't want to. Personally it's not a big deal to me. Some people simply don't get into the holiday spirit as much as everybody else and I take into consideration that not all people celebrate the same holidays. Some are just too involved in their own problems, lives, finacial difficukties etc. to even thinnk about things like that. Some just simply forget.

Most of family's have been great and have at least wished me a happy holiday during the year but not all and I take it with a grain of salt. The only person that controls how I feel is me and refuse to allow myself to get upset and ruin my own holiday spirit because someone else forgot to wish me a Happy Holiday.

So cheer up, shrug it off and just know that here .... I WISH YOU A MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

PS I'll throw in a Happy New Year!!, Happy Valentines Day, Happy St. Patricks Day etc.
Meeko 08:00 AM 12-22-2011
This is the place where we all can relate!

If parents want to be Scrooges.....well.. so be it. Their problem.

Be proud of the job you do even if you don't get thanks. The kids are better off for your love and care and that's what's most important.!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

momma2girls 08:03 AM 12-22-2011
I totally agree!! Merry Christmas to everyone and have a Happy New Year!!!!
We are all together on this!! It is sure great to feel appreciated and loved!!!
godiva83 08:20 AM 12-22-2011
thanks everyone!

You are right, I am totally in charge of my own feelings and how I act on then- just a little disappointed and shocked-- however, my Christmas spirit is still in full force and it won't be spoiled!

Manners will be my theme first week of the New Year and will post in my news letter we will be working on the importance of manners lol

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone I wish us all the best for 2012
And thanks for your support this past year it has been a great source for me!
Cheers
MarinaVanessa 08:36 AM 12-22-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
thanks everyone!

You are right, I am totally in charge of my own feelings and how I act on then- just a little disappointed and shocked-- however, my Christmas spirit is still in full force and it won't be spoiled!
And THAT'S the spirit. Who cares if THEY are inconsiderate and unthankful, at least you know you do a great job. People are so absorbed in their own lives that they fail to realize that a simple Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas can totally make our day.

You know, as strange as it seems when I feel undervalued and underappreciated I do something nice for someone and give them the opportunity to do something nice for someone else.

My DD and I have gotten into the habit of going to the store and buying 2 of something small. It only costs a few dollars (usually not more than $2 for both) and we give one to the checkout person and tell them that it's because we appreciate what they do and wish them a happy day. We ask the checkout person to then give the other item to a person who looks like they need to have their day brightened and then we wish them a Happy Holiday.

Usually it's a candy bar or something but even that small gesture sure puts a smile on people's faces. Making someone smile makes me feel happy and brightens up my day, well worth the $2. My DD loves going up and down the checkstands to pick out the checker that looks like he/she needs it the most and then we wait in their line .
caring4kidsinSD 08:44 AM 12-22-2011
You read my mind - I am in the same train of thought right now. I am feeling so unappreciated by 75% of my DCF. And just trying not to take it out on the kids. They have always been very generous on Christmas to me. Well not this year and yes I am upset about it(Yes i know it's not what Christmas is about but still) When you've given me $*** for the last 4 christmas for 1 child, why this year did you cut it down by 90% when you h ave 2 full time children. Yes I said 90% decrease with an increase of 1 child. My other family with 2 full time kids gave me a popcorn ball - really? I actually had to eat it to see if there was a gift card hiding inside it - nope there wasnt. (and just to clarify - these families have 2 full time working parents and live in the nicer parts of town)

My pt families have way outdone the full time families this year but not by much.(and that's not saying much as the FT families set the bar really low)

ok vent over - time to try to put on a happy face for the christmas party later today
Ariana 09:26 AM 12-22-2011
I would like to believe I am appreciated for all the hard work, love, and time I devote to my DCF's but not even one parent wished me a Happy Holiday or Merry Christmas. I wasn't expecting anything from these parents, but I am a little disappointed and at a time where I have been so sick and stressed out it would have been SO nice to get a card or a simple 'Merry Christmas, enjoy your time with your family.'

Although I used to be Supervisor in a large centre, this is only my 2nd Christmas running a home daycare
I know how it feels to not even get a thank you. It's really not about the gifts but when people are giving cards to the mailman you'd think you'd give a card to your DCP. I find it really insensitive to say the least. We take care of their precious children and yet they can't muster up a "Merry Christmas". No wonder the world is the way it is. It doesn't affect me at all and it certainly doesn't affect the quality of care they receive it just stings a little.

One family did give me a card with a very nice "Thank you" inside and I know they will be bringing by a gift for my daughter so at least one family remembered me
dave4him 05:38 AM 12-23-2011
Im simply reminded that when the God of the whole universe came down to earth to be born in a manager, the only people he could get to show up were some shephards, and thats only after an angelic announcement. Meanwhile the whole Nation slept while their King cried out.

If i had your address i would send you a card
mismatchedsocks 05:41 AM 12-23-2011
Merry Christmas! I really dont understand how someone who cares for their children for most of their waking hours, someone who they trust their childs lives with, they cant wish someone a great holiday season. Makes me sad to hear, but we all understand and wish you a great holiday season!
CheekyChick 06:42 AM 12-23-2011
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU!!!

I realize gift giving is NOT what Christmas is about, but it hurts when you devote 10 hours per day to someone's child and the parent can't even take the time to write a simple note or card. Thankfully, most of my parents were very sweet and gave myself and my staff lots of gifts and goodies. Of course there was a small handful of parents who couldn't bother to acknowledge us whatsoever. It baffles my mind how they could be so thoughtless, but it is what it is.
DBug 09:00 AM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by dave4him:
Im simply reminded that when the God of the whole universe came down to earth to be born in a manager, the only people he could get to show up were some shephards, and thats only after an angelic announcement. Meanwhile the whole Nation slept while their King cried out.
Thank you. This whole crazy holiday is to celebrate the birth of a baby that didn't even have a bed to call his own. Sometimes we need to get back to the reason for it all. The reason we even expect to be appreciated is because we have an incredibly merciful God that blesses us SOOO much, that we expect that from everyone else too.

I LOVE being told how much I'm appreciated, how much people love me and how they would be lost without me (all things people have said -- one dc dad even told my husband "I don't know WHAT I would do without your wife!". Poor hubby had no idea what to say ), but really Christmas is about understanding the Gift we've already been given, and then going out and loving people in the same way. It's not about us -- it's about everyone else.

Just think of all the gifts God has given us that we've never thanked Him for . And when we're not thanked or appreciated, we get a tiny glimspe of how He must feel each and every day.

That said, I appreciate each and every one of you for spending countless hours teaching kids right from wrong, changing 25 to 30 to many more diapers every day, for washing your hands til they're raw, and for spending your "break time" doing paperwork, all for the good of the little ones in your care. You all do an AMAZING job!
Kaddidle Care 12:46 PM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
My DD and I have gotten into the habit of going to the store and buying 2 of something small. It only costs a few dollars (usually not more than $2 for both) and we give one to the checkout person and tell them that it's because we appreciate what they do and wish them a happy day. We ask the checkout person to then give the other item to a person who looks like they need to have their day brightened and then we wish them a Happy Holiday.

Usually it's a candy bar or something but even that small gesture sure puts a smile on people's faces. Making someone smile makes me feel happy and brightens up my day, well worth the $2. My DD loves going up and down the checkstands to pick out the checker that looks like he/she needs it the most and then we wait in their line .
That's a cool thing to do!

I have to admit that at the bank today I deposited my check and then I put a little ornament I had in my car into the drive up box, pushed the button and drove off. I figured the teller would be surprized when she opened the box. Then I cringed... erm... was that angel on the ornament glass? Rutro! I hope it made it there in one piece.
blueclouds29 01:09 PM 12-23-2011

I didn't get one thing either, just 'merry christmas'.
Michelle 02:03 PM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:
Thank you. This whole crazy holiday is to celebrate the birth of a baby that didn't even have a bed to call his own. Sometimes we need to get back to the reason for it all. The reason we even expect to be appreciated is because we have an incredibly merciful God that blesses us SOOO much, that we expect that from everyone else too.

I LOVE being told how much I'm appreciated, how much people love me and how they would be lost without me (all things people have said -- one dc dad even told my husband "I don't know WHAT I would do without your wife!". Poor hubby had no idea what to say ), but really Christmas is about understanding the Gift we've already been given, and then going out and loving people in the same way. It's not about us -- it's about everyone else.

Just think of all the gifts God has given us that we've never thanked Him for . And when we're not thanked or appreciated, we get a tiny glimspe of how He must feel each and every day.

That said, I appreciate each and every one of you for spending countless hours teaching kids right from wrong, changing 25 to 30 to many more diapers every day, for washing your hands til they're raw, and for spending your "break time" doing paperwork, all for the good of the little ones in your care. You all do an AMAZING job!
just think of all the gifts God has given us that we've never thanked Him for . And when we're not thanked or appreciated, we get a tiny glimpse of how He must feel each and every day.

wow! you are exactly right!!!
thank you for posting this
SandeeAR 03:22 PM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by DBug:

I couldn't agree more!!!!
PitterPatter 03:44 PM 12-23-2011

I'm sorry you were made to feel unappreciated! I have that happen often so I just want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year! May God bless you with good health and hapiness! HUGS!
PitterPatter 03:48 PM 12-23-2011

If i had your address i would send you a card
AMEN!!

PitterPatter 03:50 PM 12-23-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
And THAT'S the spirit. Who cares if THEY are inconsiderate and unthankful, at least you know you do a great job. People are so absorbed in their own lives that they fail to realize that a simple Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas can totally make our day.

You know, as strange as it seems when I feel undervalued and underappreciated I do something nice for someone and give them the opportunity to do something nice for someone else.

Oh my gosh how wonderful!! I am sooo stealing this idea! Kinda little pay it forward! Bless your heart! ty for sharing!!

godiva83 05:03 PM 12-23-2011
Thanks all

I agree that the true meaning of the holiday is missed by many and I have been blessed in many countless ways that I am thankful for each day.

I love the idea of buying something little like that and leaving it for the cashier and someone who needs a little pick me up- people don't realize that sometimes the smallest gesture even a simple smile, well wish or hello can do wonders for the other person.

For DH 30th bday on NYE I am taking him out to do 30 random acts of kindness and this will be added to the lust
Kaddidle Care 06:27 AM 12-24-2011
Thanks all

For DH 30th bday on NYE I am taking him out to do 30 random acts of kindness and this will be added to the lust

I just had to quote it before you caught it and changed it!
godiva83 06:42 AM 12-24-2011
Sometimes it is hard to type on a phone lol
Good catch
PitterPatter 07:10 AM 12-24-2011
Thanks all :

Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

I just had to quote it before you caught it and changed it!
I totally missed that when I read it!! Good catch Kaddidle!
Tags:christmas cheer, christmas spirit, feeling unappreciated, parents - don't appreciate, scrooge, unappreciated
Reply Up