Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thanks to My Cat
Kym2098 06:48 AM 04-10-2013
Grrrrrrrr! One of my 3 cats decided to pee in a pack in play! It looks like they peed in it allllllllllll night!!!!!
He/she is down one life today in their 9 lives!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have this happen? I already scrubbed with bleach/water... Any chance I can salvage it???
ABCDaycareMN 07:00 AM 04-10-2013
When my cat was peeing outside the litter box it turned out he had flutd. He had crystals so bad it was causing him to pee blood because they would cut him on the inside.

If this is not a common occurrence for you I would change his water to distilled only in a fountain and water downed can food. No need for the expensive prescription food. He may need antibiotics if this is what he has.

I don't know how to clean it. I threw a lot of stuff away that had cat pee on it because I couldn't wash it or get rid of the smell.
slorey 07:09 AM 04-10-2013
Hope everything is ok with the cat and this was just a one time occurrence! That being said, I would get rid of the pack n play. Cat pee is such a hard smell to get out. Plus, no matter how much scrubbing you do, it's not like you can thoroughly clean it all the way through. As a parent, I would not want my child sleeping in a pack n play that had previously been peed on by an animal. Blankets and bedding can be washed in a machine but the pack n play can not. As a provider, I understand the need to keep costs low, but this is one area I wouldn't chance it and would spend the money to replace it. Good luck either way!
Luna 07:15 AM 04-10-2013
Do you know which cat it was? You should probably see a vet. If a cat is peeing outside its litter box it is sending a message...something hurts or something is disturbing him.
I would just tell the cat he is responsible for paying to replace the pack n play
Sorry, I don't think you could ever fully clean it and it should be discarded.
mema 07:38 AM 04-10-2013
I would get a new one. I had a cat that when we moved decided for whatever reason he didn't like this place and peed on almost everything in our downstairs storage including a new pnp. I had to throw away hundreds of dollars worth of stuff, but that is a smell that will not come out and they will keep going back to it. I say throw it.
Brooksie 07:44 AM 04-10-2013
I don't think it can be saved. But I had a cat who had a horrible UTI that cause her to pee all over the house. A lot of my stuff couldn't be saved. I think I still have one of the towels that she peed on that I bleached and now use to clean up messes and every once and a while I can still smell the pee (This was over 2 years ago). I would definitely NOT put a child in that pack n play.
LK5kids 12:00 PM 04-10-2013
The only thing that will KILL cat urine odor is vinegar! It is the bacteria that is attacking the urine that makes it smells so horrible and you have to declare war on that bacteria! My cat wet on brand new carpet in a brand new house! Ugh!

Commercial stuff will rarely if ever work! A large amount like you said was in the pack in play might be way too much to ever conquer. Especially since other people's kids use it. You could give a try I guess.
Starburst 01:08 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
The only thing that will KILL cat urine odor is vinegar!
White vinegar works really well. The last time we moved we had a pile of clothes that the cats (we also have 3) peed on and I washed the clothing like normal but just added a small cup of white distilled vinegar to the wash and they didn't smell like it anymore! I need to get some because our couches smell really bad.

White vinegar is also supposed to help get bad smells out of the washing machine. I also knew someone who used it whenever her dog had an ear infection.

In the future, try maybe spritzing all the fabric furniture with lemon/citrus juice or a citrus fruit scented fabreeze (I heard that cats hate the smell of lemons, oranges, and other acidic fruit).
Oneluckymom 01:08 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by slorey:
Hope everything is ok with the cat and this was just a one time occurrence! That being said, I would get rid of the pack n play. Cat pee is such a hard smell to get out. Plus, no matter how much scrubbing you do, it's not like you can thoroughly clean it all the way through. As a parent, I would not want my child sleeping in a pack n play that had previously been peed on by an animal. Blankets and bedding can be washed in a machine but the pack n play can not. As a provider, I understand the need to keep costs low, but this is one area I wouldn't chance it and would spend the money to replace it. Good luck either way!
I know it's probably not what you want to hear. But I was leaning towards this answer too. Just get a new one...the odor is so strong and the cat will ALWAYS smell where he last peed and will likely pee there again in the future.

Good luck !
jenny31052 01:12 PM 04-10-2013
I agree that if the cat peed outside the litterbox there is a reason.. I have 6 cats and have been through it before -

I would take him/her to the vet to make sure its not UTI - it can lead to blockage can be deadly if not cured.

Then it can be stress, dirty litter box, territorial issues... One of my cats was peeing by the window and I couldn't figure it out - then I noticed that another cat who was roaming outside was peeing outside my window. Apparently that was the trigger that made my cat spraying right there to let the other cat know that it was his place...
Oneluckymom 01:24 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by jenny31052:
I agree that if the cat peed outside the litterbox there is a reason.. I have 6 cats and have been through it before -

I would take him/her to the vet to make sure its not UTI - it can lead to blockage can be deadly if not cured.

Then it can be stress, dirty litter box, territorial issues... One of my cats was peeing by the window and I couldn't figure it out - then I noticed that another cat who was roaming outside was peeing outside my window. Apparently that was the trigger that made my cat spraying right there to let the other cat know that it was his place...
Oooh, spraying is ANOTHER big issue. Has he since been fixed?
Kym2098 01:50 PM 04-10-2013
I appreciate everyone's responses!
This is a FIRST time occurrence for any of the cats!!!
I think it was the youngest cat as he sometimes thinks its his bed (not during daycare hours and I shoo him out when I catch him in there)
All cats have been to the vet recently and all ckd out fine, that doesn't mean that someone isn't sick now... Ugh...
Anyway the cats seem fine today, but I am going to monitor things..

As for the pack n play.. I did attempt to clean it but realized how difficult that smell is to eliminate.. Fortunately my neighbor as 4 of them (has twins) and she is going to give me one

I hope, hope, hope this was a freak accident.. I'd hate for one of my kitties to be sick

Thanks again for the responses!
jenny31052 02:17 PM 04-10-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Oooh, spraying is ANOTHER big issue. Has he since been fixed?
Yes, but it took a loooong time - it was not fun... I think is because that cat didn't show up anymore...
Reply Up