Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does It Offend You When...
Imagination's Creations 11:07 AM 03-07-2014
A daycare parent want s to take their child to a preschool even though you teach preschool? I feel like it's saying "You dont know what you're doing". Ive taught preschool before at the nursery school in my high school's child care classes. All my curriculum is based off of how I learned to teach from being in that class. With the exception that I go beyond just that. I have a 4 year old daughter who can read AND write, no thanks to a "preschool", but to my program! My 22 month old daughter can name all the colors, shapes and count to ten! She has a full vocabulary also. I know for a fact preschool programs in my area dont teach the kids to read, yet alone write! Its annoying and insulting IMO.
Naptime yet? 11:11 AM 03-07-2014
I'm not offended because by that time, I'm ready for them to leave
butterfly 11:15 AM 03-07-2014
Yes! But I try to shrug it off. I've learned that I can't please everyone.

I've also learned to be a better communicator about what we are actually learning and working on. In the past, the parents didn't even realize how much "preschool" we do here. Once I started communicating what we are learning, there seemed be much less talk of removing kids from my care to get them into a traditional preschool.

I do have one family who also takes their kids to preschool in addition to my care, but only because they feel that their children would feel like they missed out since their older siblings had gone to this same preschool (before they started in my program). They have told me on several occasions how advanced their child is in the preschool program, but they are sweet enough to give ME all the credit for it.
cheerfuldom 11:17 AM 03-07-2014
I dont think you should take it personally. A LOT of parents want the comfort and status of an official preschool with the structure, center feel, the actual building with the name on it. Sure they usually want their child to learn but most parents want something more. They like getting a little backpack, seeing their baby head off to preschool like a big kid, the activities and number of children and school feel of an actual preschool.

You can't provide that nor am I saying you should. Just keep in mind that the preschool thing is rarely about just learning, its more about the parents getting the experience.....not even so much about the kids.
Imagination's Creations 11:20 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
This is actually one of my favorite clients. Im sure its more of a money thing. They think that because she will be here for two hours less a day, three days a week for preschool that their rate will go down. Ive explained to the parents about five times since asking about it that they need to refer to the handbook for my rates. It's still considered full time. I dont think they understand what part time and full time mean. I even sent home a copy of my rates and they still insist on enrolling her in preschool for the fall.
Scribbles 11:23 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont think you should take it personally. A LOT of parents want the comfort and status of an official preschool with the structure, center feel, the actual building with the name on it. Sure they usually want their child to learn but most parents want something more. They like getting a little backpack, seeing their baby head off to preschool like a big kid, the activities and number of children and school feel of an actual preschool.

You can't provide that nor am I saying you should. Just keep in mind that the preschool thing is rarely about just learning, its more about the parents getting the experience.....not even so much about the kids.

Before I opened my child care I sent my kids to daycare. Even though the provider did educational activities, I still sent my kids to preschool.

My provider was great and I really liked her but I personally wanted my kids to have a teacher that taught kids of one age group.

I also wanted a teacher with a college degree.

Please don't flame me for that as I mean NO disrespect but it is how I felt at the time.
melilley 11:25 AM 03-07-2014
My thoughts to a T!!!!! I prefer the 3 and under crowd, and I mean the day they turn 3...lol
Imagination's Creations 11:27 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Yes! But I try to shrug it off. I've learned that I can't please everyone.

I've also learned to be a better communicator about what we are actually learning and working on. In the past, the parents didn't even realize how much "preschool" we do here. Once I started communicating what we are learning, there seemed be much less talk of removing kids from my care to get them into a traditional preschool.

I do have one family who also takes their kids to preschool in addition to my care, but only because they feel that their children would feel like they missed out since their older siblings had gone to this same preschool (before they started in my program). They have told me on several occasions how advanced their child is in the preschool program, but they are sweet enough to give ME all the credit for it.
I have a child that has been with me since he was six months old. When he started Kinder, his teacher asked his mom where he went to preschool because he was advanced, and the mom was like "Oh, he goes to Imagination's Creations Daycare. She teaches preschool" It is a nice feeling when the parents give you the credit you deserve!
Imagination's Creations 11:29 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Scribbles:

Before I opened my child care I sent my kids to daycare. Even though the provider did educational activities, I still sent my kids to preschool.

My provider was great and I really liked her but I personally wanted my kids to have a teacher that taught kids of one age group.

I also wanted a teacher with a college degree.

Please don't flame me for that as I mean NO disrespect but it is how I felt at the time.
I understand what you're saying. I dont have a degree yet, but Im working on it slowly by taking night classes.
Scribbles 11:37 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Imagination's Creations:
I understand what you're saying. I dont have a degree yet, but Im working on it slowly by taking night classes.
Now that I am on this end of things I dont feel that way anymore because I know what we do as providers and how kids learn but at the time I thought only someone with an actual degree is a teacher so maybe that is how patents think too...kwim?
Imagination's Creations 11:44 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Scribbles:
Now that I am on this end of things I dont feel that way anymore because I know what we do as providers and how kids learn but at the time I thought only someone with an actual degree is a teacher so maybe that is how patents think too...kwim?
There are some child care providers that probably DONT do as much as I do with them. Also, if I weren't in this field, I would probably be sending mine to a traditional preschool as well. Just to make sure they're learning what they need to. I just think that based on what their daughter already knows, and how advance my own children are, that they can see Im preparing them. It just bothers me I guess. Like Im spending all this extra time/ money planning, making games and collecting materials and teaching them for it to not even count in the parents eyes. It kind of crushes my love of teaching it, you know?
Blackcat31 11:49 AM 03-07-2014
There are some child care providers that probably DONT do as much as I do with them. Also, if I weren't in this field, I would probably be sending mine to a traditional preschool as well. Just to make sure they're learning what they need to. I just think that based on what their daughter already knows, and how advance my own children are, that they can see Im preparing them. It just bothers me I guess. Like Im spending all this extra time/ money planning, making games and collecting materials and teaching them for it to not even count in the parents eyes. It kind of crushes my love of teaching it, you know?
THAT is the problem.

WE (providers) put that much into our relationship with a child/family and everything we do with them (the kids) but fail to remember that families don't invest that much into us...kwim?

That is why we (providers) are the ones left with hurt feelings when parents want to send their kids to preschool.

It doesn't really have anything to do with us personally from a parents' perspective. We just take it personal.

Hope that makes sense.
melilley 11:49 AM 03-07-2014
POOEY on those parents who don't think you're "teaching" them. At least you know in your heart that you are making a difference., and I'm sure the children do too!
Imagination's Creations 11:59 AM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
THAT is the problem.

WE (providers) put that much into our relationship with a child/family and everything we do with them (the kids) but fail to remember that families don't invest that much into us...kwim?

That is why we (providers) are the ones left with hurt feelings when parents want to send their kids to preschool.

It doesn't really have anything to do with us personally from a parents' perspective. We just take it personal.

Hope that makes sense.
I totally agree. I probably over think these things and shouldnt take it personal, but it's hard not to.
Imagination's Creations 12:02 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
POOEY on those parents who don't think you're "teaching" them. At least you know in your heart that you are making a difference., and I'm sure the children do too!
Or when this same child "suddenly knows how to write her name"! Uhh, no. She's been doing that for six months now! I just smile and say "Yeah, we practice every day in PRESCHOOL".
melilley 12:07 PM 03-07-2014
Or when this same child "suddenly knows how to write her name"! Uhh, no. She's been doing that for six months now! I just smile and say "Yeah, we practice every day in PRESCHOOL".
Uhh.....love when that happens..
dalman 12:28 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

This generation really seems to fall prey to this mentality. They want their child to go to "preschool" because they see it as a separate milestone that comes complete with pictures and a graduation to kindergarten ceremony. I have two parents with this same mindset, even though I have been recognized as an honorary teacher at the University of Rochester. They recognize what I do here with their children, but they want the school setting a couple of times a week.

I used to feel very offended, but now I look at it as a break from their kids a few hours a week. They still pay the full time rate and have to deal with transportation issues. I tested one of the children last week and he has fallen behind in some of his skills because he is missing our preschool two times a week. I let the mom know so she could work with him at home. But it also let her know that the "preschool" really isn't doing much in the way of teaching. I tell the parents its nothing more than a two hour daycare inside of the school building.

Parents are going to do what parents are going to do.
Imagination's Creations 12:39 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by dalman:
This generation really seems to fall prey to this mentality. They want their child to go to "preschool" because they see it as a separate milestone that comes complete with pictures and a graduation to kindergarten ceremony. I have two parents with this same mindset, even though I have been recognized as an honorary teacher at the University of Rochester. They recognize what I do here with their children, but they want the school setting a couple of times a week.

I used to feel very offended, but now I look at it as a break from their kids a few hours a week. They still pay the full time rate and have to deal with transportation issues. I tested one of the children last week and he has fallen behind in some of his skills because he is missing our preschool two times a week. I let the mom know so she could work with him at home. But it also let her know that the "preschool" really isn't doing much in the way of teaching. I tell the parents its nothing more than a two hour daycare inside of the school building.

Parents are going to do what parents are going to do.
Yes! I also told her I will not transport. My daughter starts kindergarten in the fall as well, and her school drop off and pick ups are all Im going to do. She may pull when I dont give her another break on my rate, but if she does, so be it. Ill be sad to see her go, but Im done short changing myself (Already gave them a hefty break on rate when they lost their subsidy and started paying cash) No more miss pushover daycare lady! I may love all these kids, but the bottom line is this is my job! I ultimately do this to provide for my family. Not to toot my horn, but I feel like Im worth every penny of my weekly rate, if not more! Oh well. I guess Ill see what happens!
KSDC 12:46 PM 03-07-2014
It doesn't bother me - but I think pre-school is different for my little town.

I live in a very tiny rural town. (Only about 20-30 per grade in the entire town.) The pre-school is in our little grade school. Most children go, but it is only for a couple of hours during the day, 4 days a week and I absolutely LOVE the teacher and her program.

My 3-5's all go. But, their parents still pay me for the full-time slot. And, they are not gone for that long, so I still get to do my pre-school program here too.

The public transportation van even comes and takes them to and from so that I don't have to do the transport.

And, my favorite part is that the oldest children go during naptime! So, I don't have to continually redirect my non-nappers to quiet activities during quiet time!
Imagination's Creations 12:48 PM 03-07-2014
Originally Posted by KSDC:
It doesn't bother me - but I think pre-school is different for my little town.

I live in a very tiny rural town. (Only about 20-30 per grade in the entire town.) The pre-school is in our little grade school. Most children go, but it is only for a couple of hours during the day, 4 days a week and I absolutely LOVE the teacher and her program.

My 3-5's all go. But, their parents still pay me for the full-time slot. And, they are not gone for that long, so I still get to do my pre-school program here too.

The public transportation van even comes and takes them to and from so that I don't have to do the transport.

And, my favorite part is that the oldest children go during naptime! So, I don't have to continually redirect my non-nappers to quiet activities during quiet time!
Perfect for you!
Shell 01:09 PM 03-07-2014
THAT is the problem.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it offends me tremendously that kids leave my program for preschool. It's probably because I was a Preschool/Kindergarten teacher for decades, and have a degree plus experience teaching. But, there really is nothing I can do to stop it.
The other part that is rough for me is that once one goes off to the land of preschool, the other parents start thinking theirs should go, too, and then I worry for days about how I am going to fill their spots, and then the 3 year olds think about leaving because there are only 2 year olds here, and on and on.
I have taught my kids here all the things you mention, and I know they get a better education here (social, cognitive, etc),. but I can't stop parents from feeling their kids aren't getting enough since I don't have lots of kids here. My teacher mom has said over and over that she has no plans on moving dcg before K- it's like those of us in the field understand preschool isn't always necessary, but others feel they have to.
daycare 01:26 PM 03-07-2014
yup It happens here often. I am going through an issue right now that parents pulled their older child for private preschool academy and is now trying to put their kid back into my preschool program because the childs learning regressed while at the other school.

I was a little hurt, because as BC said we put our all into this, parents see us as a service like they see jiffy lube. Ok most do. They don't think twice about our feelings, or anything else for that matter. They will also do what they feel is best for their children.

AND as provider, I want what is best for the child/parent. So if they feel they are better off else where, then please go find it.
Crazy8 02:28 PM 03-07-2014
same here! I don't really teach preschool so I wouldn't be offended at all and I actually encourage them to go to at least one year of preschool before kindy but I've had a few who have stayed and I really prefer my 3 and under group!!
cheerfuldom 02:52 PM 03-07-2014
THAT is the problem.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes that is what I was trying to say in my post. It normally isn't about the provider. It is about what the parents want, what they want to experience, what they feel like they are receiving.

they don't know (and frankly, some dont even care) how much time you are putting into creating curriculum, activities, money spent on supplies. They have no idea about any of that part.
ashleyh 07:51 AM 03-08-2014
I don't get offended. Places like head start and programs can offer a lot more in an educational environment than I can.
nannyde 11:14 AM 03-08-2014
I realized about five years ago that it was useless to try to circumvent this now cultural norm. I think it's important to really look at what services you offer to try to get parents to keep their child in care until age five. If it isn't working stop offering it. If the kids are going to a center regardless of the educational program you offer then rethink offering any. Have confidence the parents will give them everything they need and stay out of it. If you enjoy schooling them then carry on but if it is work that doesn't retain kids then rethink it.

There's a lot of value in being a babysitter. It's a lot less work and the end game is the same whether you do schooling or not. It's not personal. It's business.
Shell 11:40 AM 03-08-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I realized about five years ago that it was useless to try to circumvent this now cultural norm. I think it's important to really look at what services you offer to try to get parents to keep their child in care until age five. If it isn't working stop offering it. If the kids are going to a center regardless of the educational program you offer then rethink offering any. Have confidence the parents will give them everything they need and stay out of it. If you enjoy schooling them then carry on but if it is work that doesn't retain kids then rethink it.

There's a lot of value in being a babysitter. It's a lot less work and the end game is the same whether you do schooling or not. It's not personal. It's business.
This is a great point.
Imagination's Creations 12:12 PM 03-08-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

True. This is the first family that has left to go to a traditional preschool. They family all works for the district, so that may be why. Who knows!
Starburst 01:52 PM 03-08-2014
Well at the daycare I used to work at she had a dedicated daycare area (in addition to the rest of her house) and had lots of preschoolers enrolled. I was once at the bank cashing my check and over heard a grandmother telling the banker that her daughter was interested in enrolling the granddaughter to my boss's preschool; she has been in business for over 30 years and has a very good reputation in that city. I do however remember one family that enrolled both their children into a church preschool down the street 3-5 days a week for a few hours a day but that was only because they worked for the catholic private school district and they got free preschool there, and it helped them reduce their daycare bill (she charges one of the highest rates in town).
jenn 02:06 PM 03-08-2014
Most in my area leave at age 3 or 4 to go to preschool. It's just the thing to do, KWIM?

Since this has become the norm, I have quit stressing myself out preparing activities that aren't going to convince the parents to stay anyway.

I am not a preschool. I am a daycare. I do work with the kids on colors, shapes, numbers, letters,...whatever academics they are ready for, but we do it through play. I offer a home away from home where we learn social and life skills. We play.

I think you have to find the right fit for you and for the needs of your area.
NoMoreJuice! 03:56 PM 03-08-2014
I just posted this same dilemma a few weeks ago! Here's the link to all the great advice:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68768
Reply Up