Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle Swapping Days?
aDCProvider 09:09 AM 04-22-2014
I have a DCM who has her child enrolled 3 days per week. She just asked if they could swap one day for another. I said she can add the 4th day but she will be charged for the additonal day (even discounted it and offered her my daily rate instead of drop in which is quite a bit higher). She questioned why she can't just swap days, because she doesn't want to pay for the extra day when she doesn't need her regularly schedule day that week. I told her tuition is based on enrollment not attendance, so therefore she's still responsible to pay for her regularly scheduled days and if she needed an additonal day she would have to pay extra for the extra day. She said okay and that she would find other coverage.

How do you handle a part timer adding or swapping days?
NoMoreJuice! 09:13 AM 04-22-2014
Love your policy, and that's exactly how it should be.
daycarediva 09:16 AM 04-22-2014
I don't allow it. She contracted for 3 set days, she gets 3 set days. Additional days are billed EXTRA. It's in my contract and handbook as well.

I believe BC has a policy for a higher regular rate for part time varying days? Might have the wrong person, but if she regularly needs different days, that's something I would consider.

eg. 105= 3 set days 135=3 variable days
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 04-22-2014
Originally Posted by Asmithdaycare:
I have a DCM who has her child enrolled 3 days per week. She just asked if they could swap one day for another. I said she can add the 4th day but she will be charged for the additonal day (even discounted it and offered her my daily rate instead of drop in which is quite a bit higher). She questioned why she can't just swap days, because she doesn't want to pay for the extra day when she doesn't need her regularly schedule day that week. I told her tuition is based on enrollment not attendance, so therefore she's still responsible to pay for her regularly scheduled days and if she needed an additonal day she would have to pay extra for the extra day. She said okay and that she would find other coverage.

I do the same thing.

I have a minimum of 3 days of attendance. The rate is based on whether or not the 3 day are the same 3 days each week or varying days.

If the days vary, they pay a full time rate since they need access to a full week.

If someone who contracts for 3 set days per week is allowed to add additional days at an additional cost but the 3 days they originally contracted for are paid each week regardless.
Play Care 09:22 AM 04-22-2014
I don't allow swapping of days. I think your policy is fine.

ETA: I used to allow swapping but it got really ugly, really quick.
jenn 09:32 AM 04-22-2014
I think your policy is fine! If you have your policy in writing, give her a copy of it. If it's not it writing, I would add it to your handbook or contract.

I allow part timers at a minimum of 3 days per week, with set days.

I have one that comes 4 days per week. She swaps Mondays and Tuesdays from week to week, but we agreed upon that at enrollment/signing of contract.
Laurel 09:36 AM 04-22-2014
I let them swap for no extra charge IF it is convenient for ME. I get paid for 3 days and I don't care which 3. Mine have never constantly changed though. If they did, I would charge a higher weekly rate for a 'movable' day schedule as opposed to a 'fixed' day schedule. That has never come up though. An occasional day and I don't mind EXCEPT if it is a holiday that their day falls on. For example, I have a M,W, F child and if a holiday falls on Monday then they have to pay for that day like everyone else and not substitute a Tues. or a Thurs. for it.

Laurel
snbauser 09:45 AM 04-22-2014
I don't do part time anymore but when I did, my policy was the same as yours. If you don't stick to it, you end up with schedules all over the place, parents conveniently not needing a scheduled day because their child is sick, or because their scheduled day falls on a holiday that they would otherwise have to pay for.
melilley 10:18 AM 04-22-2014
I allow them to swap days if I have an opening, I don't really mind.
Meyou 10:32 AM 04-22-2014
I allow them to add an extra day but I don't allow swapping.
Crazy8 10:15 AM 04-23-2014
I will allow it if I have the space and if it works for me. I have had parents ask where I say yes and times where I've said no. It has never become a problem of people expecting it all the time, I wouldn't allow it to get to that point.
Cradle2crayons 10:18 AM 04-23-2014
I Allow it with a advance notice IF it works for me. And if it doesn't mess up ratios etc.
butterfly 10:38 AM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by Asmithdaycare:

You handled it perfectly!
TwinKristi 10:51 AM 04-23-2014
I have one family that comes 4 days a week and the 5th day is usually a Tuesday but this week he kinda screwed me up. He didn't tell me they weren't coming Monday and I was up ready for them (first arrival) and they didn't show. I texted and got a reply but it really annoyed me and I realized this whole revolving day off isn't working well for me. They told me it was almost always going to be Tuesdays so I scheduled a dental appt for my son that day knowing I wouldn't have kids until 11ish and ended up having to take her with me because they swapped Mon for Tues. Soooo yeah, this can get really old really fast if you allow it this one time.
Reply Up