Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Qris and toothpaste
284878 07:37 PM 05-23-2015
Any one here have any stars? Is it worth it? How many?

Do you do the tooth-brushing?
I was going to do this but trying to find away not to buy 5 tubes (or have parents do that either) Any suggestions on how to share the tube without wasting a plastic cup?

--- Worker said they could share if I put the paste on bottom of cup then on brush. but having to throw away the cup, having to use one cup per child/ brush. ----
Baby Beluga 07:50 PM 05-23-2015
What if you used a paper plate and put a small dab of toothpaste on the plate for each child? Is that acceptable? Or even a regular plate and then you could just toss it in the dishwasher after use.
heyhun77 07:53 PM 05-23-2015
I think you can put a dab on a piece of wax paper and then they can scoop it up from there.
Unregistered 08:34 PM 05-23-2015
i have gotten a s-load of free toothbrushes, toothpastes and flosses from a local dentist. They love to market themselves. SO I just say, I where I work and that I am teaching brushing etc, and would they be interested in coming and doing a presentation for the kids and if yes or if no, would they be interested in donating enough for each kid.
spedmommy4 08:41 PM 05-23-2015
I use these. They run about $5 for 250 cups on amazon. I put a dab of toothpaste on one (per kid) and toss them. They double as mini disposable cups to rinse

Paper Medicine Cups - 3/4 oz.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UHYD28..._Kxuyvb09FY4ZJ

I also bought this. It came with 10 toothbrushes and 10 toothbrush covers that can be washed in the dishwasher.
Plak Smacker Toothbrush Holder
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042SWRMK..._9Euyvb1W54VK5
Leigh 07:09 AM 05-24-2015
How about using craft sticks (popsicle sticks) and putting the paste on them, then wiping onto the toothbrush?
Annalee 12:15 PM 05-24-2015
Providers here use water no toothpaste for QRIS to avoid these issues
284878 05:57 PM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Providers here use water no toothpaste for QRIS to avoid these issues
I asked and was told no, after a year old it had to be paste. Gauze before year.

I do like the Popsicle stick idea. The cup seems a little akaward.
momtomany74 06:11 PM 05-24-2015
What about using trial sized rubes of toothpaste? Small investment when you think about how little you put on their brushes.
spedmommy4 09:08 PM 05-24-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I asked and was told no, after a year old it had to be paste. Gauze before year.

I do like the Popsicle stick idea. The cup seems a little akaward.
I actually never would have considered the cups. I worked for head start for awhile and they used them. They made my job so much easier that I decided to use them myself. And it saves me from having to get big cups for kids who want to rinse out the toothpaste flavor.
melilley 10:43 AM 05-26-2015
I have 3 Stars right now and am reassessing at a 4, but I decided to stay at a 3. Right now, in MI, the only benefit to the star program is that the more start that you have, the more dhs pays for dhs clients. I don't accept dhs so it really doesn't benefit me, I did it for personal reasons. I don't want a 4 because then they have to come observe for 8 or so hours and right now I'm pregnant and don't want to deal with it. Oh and one other benefit is the more stars that you have, the higher up you are on the GreatStart listing.

I do tooth brushing and each child has their own tube of toothpaste, supplied by the parents.
Unregistered 01:57 PM 05-26-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
What if you used a paper plate and put a small dab of toothpaste on the plate for each child? Is that acceptable? Or even a regular plate and then you could just toss it in the dishwasher after use.
Cut a paper plate into small pieces
Febby 02:19 PM 05-26-2015
The last two centers I worked at did tooth brushing. Both were in Kentucky's STARS program. They just had parents provide the toothbrush and toothpaste. Each child had their own brush and tube of toothpaste.

At the first center (2 star center), the toothbrushes were stored in a plastic toothbrush holder (the one Lakeshore sells) and the toothpaste tubes were stored in one of those over the door shoe organizer.

At the other center (1 star center), the toothbrushes were stored in a toothbrush holder made from an old egg carton and toothpaste tubes were stored in a plastic bin.

Both centers label everything with the child's name and the date it was brought in (so you know when to replace toothbrushes and so you can tell parents how long it's been since they last brought in toothpaste when they complain that they "just brought some in")
Reply Up