Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Check Isn't Going to Clear
CountryRoads 09:44 AM 01-29-2019
I just had a dcm (she's a drop-in, so payment is due upon drop-off) call and tell me that a check she wrote me on the 7th hasn't cleared yet. I told her I still have it and am going to deposit it with my other checks on Friday. Well, she wrote me another check yesterday for care and told me that one will not clear and to wait until the 7th to deposit it. She miscalculated and only one of the checks will clear. She was super apologetic, and set up an account on Venmo so she can pay me that way from now on.

I have a returned check policy in my handbook, but since I haven't deposited the checks yet, I have not incurred any fees. I'm glad she called because I would have deposited them this both this week and gotten charged.

I think I'm just going to let it go since she signed up for Venmo right after I set her the invite. BUT...I'm obviously not happy that I have a check from her for care already provided that I can't deposit this week.

WWYD?
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
WWYD?
Nothing, as well.

I have never sat on a check that long, either, though. It would mess up too many peoples accounts. Few keep up with accounts like that anymore. You have to special request checkbook registers at my bank, now.

I stopped taking checks back in 2001, when online payment became so much easier. I only take online payment or cash, both in advance. I also do not pay bills from my deposit account. I transfer it to my payment account.

I once had a parent check clear, paid my bills, then had it detracted from my account before my bills cleared. It could have caused some real issues. It was not the parent, the bank reordered. Never again.
storybookending 10:04 AM 01-29-2019
I typically do drop offs as cash only paid at drop off (although I have been lax at the “at drop off” part as my only drops ins are typically my neices/nephews/goddaughter). You could adopt this policy in the future as I can’t see how Venmo will solve this problem as she has to have money in the account for it was transfer.
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 01-29-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I just had a dcm (she's a drop-in, so payment is due upon drop-off) call and tell me that a check she wrote me on the 7th hasn't cleared yet. I told her I still have it and am going to deposit it with my other checks on Friday. Well, she wrote me another check yesterday for care and told me that one will not clear and to wait until the 7th to deposit it. She miscalculated and only one of the checks will clear. She was super apologetic, and set up an account on Venmo so she can pay me that way from now on.

I have a returned check policy in my handbook, but since I haven't deposited the checks yet, I have not incurred any fees. I'm glad she called because I would have deposited them this both this week and gotten charged.

I think I'm just going to let it go since she signed up for Venmo right after I set her the invite. BUT...I'm obviously not happy that I have a check from her for care already provided that I can't deposit this week.

WWYD?
I wouldn't charge her any return check fees as it hasn't been returned yet but I would charge late payment fees as technically she hasn't or isn't going to "pay" for services until the 7th.
Tags:bounced check
Reply Up