Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Air Sanitizer in Daycare Facility
momma2005 09:04 PM 11-18-2011
I had a question about sanitizing? We live in Florida and my son attends a childcare center here. Every time I go to drop him off or pick him up the director is spraying, spraying, spraying canned air sanitizer. I am not sure if he is spraying it when the kids are in the room or not, but I can barely breath when I walk in. Is air sanitizer ok to use in a daycare facility? The weird thing to me is it is just the smelly stuff, not Lysol brand or anything that kills germs? Seems to me he is just covering up smells. If anyone has some insight I would love to hear what you know about this subject. I am nervous that my 2-year is having a hard time breathing, since I do when I walk into the school.
Abigail 10:45 PM 11-18-2011
I would just walk up and ask. You're a concerned parent who has a child attending and want to look at the spray. You won't get in trouble if you walk up and ask. How long has your child been attending? Is it when you drop off or pick up when it is being sprayed? If it's when you drop off in the morning are you the first one in the doors? Don't be shy and make sure you ask why they spray it and see what it is and express your concern now before you find more and more to be concerned about and explode. JMO
Michael 10:46 PM 11-18-2011
We use Dr. Schulze's Air Detox: https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php?op...&Itemid=42&c=1
Herbal Ingredients: 100% pure essential oils of Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lime, Lemon, Orange

small_steps 06:32 AM 11-19-2011
maybe covering up smells of poopy diapers? In larger centers we had automatic deodorizers that would go off every 15/20 minutes to mask the odor.
Cat Herder 05:42 AM 11-22-2011
I remember the Director doing that as parents approached the front door. It was expected of her by the owners wife. It was about "creating an inviting atmosphere".

The problem was that she used it so much she no longer smelled it. It was overwhelming, especially the nasty potpourri stuff.

Many places have switched to the motion dispensers for this, but IMHO the problem persists, just too much scent with that many people filtering in and out all day. A timer system may be better..

I would recommend using the suggestions box (if they have one) or mentioning having a sensitivity to it in casual conversation. It is VERY possible she does not realize how strong it is and really is doing it for your "benefit".
kendallina 09:16 AM 11-22-2011
When I worked in a center in California we were not allowed to use any kind of air sanitizer. I'm not sure if it was against licensing regulations or just against the company's regulations. If it is so strong that it's unpleasant I would definitely ask about it.
youretooloud 08:20 AM 11-23-2011
I don't even use scented candles in my house or daycare. I don't use cleaners like 409 or anything with chemicals in them.

So.... Honestly, I'd have a fit if someone were spraying a deodorizer while the kids or parents are on the property.

The label probably says it's a hazard to humans and animals. I think all of those cleaners are highly toxic and wouldn't allow them around my child.

Originally Posted by :
Inhalation Dangers
Accidentally inhaling the product for an extended period may result in health problems. You may feel drowsy or tired and experience a cough. The product may also cause a severe headache. These problems are a result of the ethanol in disinfectant spray. The carbon dioxide in the Lysol may also cause problems when inhaled, such as an increased breathing rate or difficulties concentrating. In severe cases, inhaling the carbon dioxide in the spray may even cause suffocation and death.

Read more: The Dangers of Disinfectant Spray | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7424037_dan...#ixzz1eXvw1u97
I think I'd buy them a book about being "green" and attach a nice note about the spray air freshener, and how you feel it is unsafe. (if you want to be passive agressive..which is totally the approach I would take since I'm nonconfrontational)
Unregistered 10:34 AM 08-16-2012
Spraying anything scented, using scented candles, etc is not recommended for children who have asthma. Some children & some parents are chemically sensitive and these deodorizers, etc make them sick and irritate their respiratory passages. This also affects peoples thinking and may cause what is known as foggy thinking. This is probably why they are not legal in California. No daycare (in-home or center) should be spraying any of these things.

There are natural ways to remove bad odors - baking soda, cleaning with vinegar, etc.

Check them out. Also natural, concentrated herbal scents also make people sick too.

We need to remember that we are taking care of children and do not want to impact their health negatively.
crazydaycarelady 12:56 PM 08-16-2012
It seems like my house constatnly smells like poop. I keep the messy diapers outside but it takes a while for each incident to disapate from inside, just in time for someone else to go. I keep the windows open as much as possible but with Montana winters I end up using Scentsy warmers.
Fruitloops1 02:09 PM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
We use Dr. Schulze's Air Detox: https://www.herbdoc.com/index.php?op...&Itemid=42&c=1
  • DESTROYS airborne bacteria, viruses, pathogens and antigens on contact
  • DELIGHTFUL eucalyptus/citrus scent lifts the spirits and clears the mind
  • 100% pure essential oils, not diluted
  • GREAT for your home, car or office
Herbal Ingredients: 100% pure essential oils of Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lime, Lemon, Orange

OHHHHHHH!!!!! I was just thinking what I could do to make it smell *nice* in my daycare!! I don't like Lysol sprays or the chemically stuff. I tried googling an all natural spray but no luck!! I am going to check this stuff out!!
itlw8 06:17 PM 08-16-2012
In Mo you can not use ANY spray of any kind when children are around. They breath it into their lungs. Every state has different regulations
MrsSteinel'sHouse 06:59 PM 08-16-2012
In Ohio you can't use any aerosol sprays when children are present. I can't use any - asthma!
JuJubug 08:04 PM 08-17-2012
We have a hidden pluggin middle ways of our preschool facility. The wall goes in and there are 2 water faucets and a plug beside it. I poped a airwick apple/fall pluggin and we get compliments all the time of how nice our facility smells. They airwick is hidden and kids are never in the halls alone. So I dont worry about them messing w/ it
Tags:air quality, air sanitizer, asthma, cologne, perfume, sanitizer, scented body spray
Reply Up