Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: What level of supervision is required of providers?
Direct supervision - within sight and sound 27 51.92%
Indirect supervision - within sight OR sound 25 48.08%
Allow children to free play and get an adult when they need one 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Direct Supervision
Crystal 04:52 PM 08-20-2013
In light of some recent threads, I am wondering what level of supervision is necessary to protect the children in our care, our property from being destroyed and our livelihoods from being destroyed. Maybe it is just me, but I believe it is my UPMOST responsibility to directly supervise, constantly, while children are in my care. Without referring to any one thread specifically, I am getting a horrible feeling that many providers do not take their role as seriously as they should. This SERIOUSLY frightens and concerns me and I really wonder what, if anything can and should be done about it.

So, please share with me, what do you think is the level of supervision necessary for anyone caring for other people's children?
blandino 05:17 PM 08-20-2013
We rent a home just for the daycare. We seperate the children into two groups, infants and toddlers in one room with a caregiver. Room dividers seperate the pack and plays for napping, and that is as out of sight as they get. If everyone is sleeping, the caregiver may leave the room. But times when all infants & toddlers are sleeping are few and far between.

The bigger kids go back and forth between two different playrooms, with a kitchen in between. The children are always all in the same room. I am either in the room with them or cooking/cleaning in the kitchen. So I am within sight most of the time, and sound always.

When they are napping is the only time I leave the room, and am still within hearing distance.
Familycare71 05:25 PM 08-20-2013
I am almost afraid to post... But here I go-
I am required to have direct supervision in all situations except: when children are napping they can be in another room with the door not closed completely and a baby monitor. And my school age children can be out of direct sight as long as they are on my property and checked on every 15min.
I do have a separate room for nap that I check visually occ and I do allow SA children that prove they can make good choices play outside without me.

I also am allowed to potty alone- but kids have to be set up before- generally I usually put infants in pnp and toddlers tend to come in or stand just outside the door.
Crystal 05:29 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I am required to have direct supervision in all situations except: when children are napping they can be in another room with the door not closed completely and a baby monitor. And my school age children can be out of direct sight as long as they are on my property and checked on every 15min.
I do have a separate room for nap that I check visually occ and I do allow SA children that prove they can make good choices play outside without me.

I also am allowed to potty alone- but kids have to be set up before- generally I usually put infants in pnp and toddlers tend to come in or stand just outside the door.
Don't be afraid to post. I really think this is a discussion that needs to be had. We all have our own philosophies of care and our own set of regs to follow. I just really want to know where everyone stands on this issue, and hopefully some who allow children to "free range" might reconsider, as it becomes a major liability issue when someone gets hurt under our watch, when we aren't actually watching, KWIM?
Play Care 05:29 PM 08-20-2013
Direct, eyes on supervision is required in my state for children who are not school aged. They are more lenient with school aged children. They can legally play outside a providers direct supervision as long as the provider physically checks on them every 15 minutes.

I do utilize this for school aged children but only after they show they can follow the rules, play safely, etc. Typically it happens if we are outside and I have to go in to change diapers or assist with toilet training the school aged kids can, providing they have proven trustworthy, stay outside while I attend business inside. If for any reasons they do not follow the rules (stay in the yard, play nicely with each other and toys, no screaming, etc.) they lose out on that privilege. My kids try very hard to follow the rules because a school aged child does not want to have to come in for diaper changes/ toileting. But even with this reg, I still find eyes on is the best way to go.
Play Care 05:34 PM 08-20-2013

We are in the same state and I forgot about naps! My kids do nap in their own room, but we have to physically check on them every 15 minutes in addition to the monitor and have the door open enough so you can pop your head in. I tried to have them nap in the playroom when I started but it was a disaster. Too open of a floor plan
I actually see nothing wrong with anything you posted. I get to know my kids very well. I know who needs to be "put up" when I use the bathroom and who can stay where they are because they play nicely. I know what school agers are capable of being outside without me and which ones will never have that privilege.
MamaBearCanada 05:35 PM 08-20-2013
I answered indirect - however, only indoors & when direct is absolutely not possible and only for children capable of being left out of arms reach. My kids are in direct supervision for the majority of the time but depending on circumstances I think carefully planned indirect is acceptable.

To clarify, I work alone and have a max of 5 children, usually 3, 2 of which are my own, and no babies. If I have to go to the bathroom I might take my youngest with me but leave my oldest & the DCK playing in a safe area close by where I can hear them. None of the children I have are aggressive or biters. If I had an infant I would take them with me. Also, I have the 2 youngest sleep in 2 separate rooms & have any older children resting in a 3rd room during nap. I have monitors although I can hear without them, and check regularly on those sleeping but they are not in sight every minute. They are in direct supervision for the majority of the time.
daycare 05:38 PM 08-20-2013
even though the state I provide care in does not require 100% supervision with in-home daycare, I do Provide 100% supervision at all times. I train my employees that this is a MUST.

I should not jinx myself, but I have NEVER had to file a incident report, NO accidents of any kind and NOTHING of mine has ever been destroyed.
MamaBearCanada 05:39 PM 08-20-2013
Ok so I just read the other posts who basically said the same as me. Direct except for bathroom and nap... But voted differently. Now I'm really confused although that's not anything new
Familycare71 05:42 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
We are in the same state and I forgot about naps! My kids do nap in their own room, but we have to physically check on them every 15 minutes in addition to the monitor and have the door open enough so you can pop your head in. I tried to have them nap in the playroom when I started but it was a disaster. Too open of a floor plan
I actually see nothing wrong with anything you posted. I get to know my kids very well. I know who needs to be "put up" when I use the bathroom and who can stay where they are because they play nicely. I know what school agers are capable of being outside without me and which ones will never have that privilege.
Yes- reading your post I noticed!
I actually didnt know we had to check on nappers every 15 min- not sure how I missed that one! I actually just made my nap room into a play room too- I was nervous having nap and play happen in the same area but so far so good! . We "set up" for nap before lunch to help with the mental transition-
I also use SA outside play as a privilege! They do NOT like coming in for diaper, potty or staying in all of nap . It's been effective and I am grateful we are allowed to do it!
blandino 05:43 PM 08-20-2013
If I have to go to the bathroom, and te other caregiver has her hands full, I will have everyone sit on their bottoms (2 yo and up), and tell them to yell if anyone gets off their bottom). I usually will make it as fast as possible, and run out and check on them between using the bathroom and washing my hands.
Willow 05:47 PM 08-20-2013
I voted indirect because I and those old enough potty alone, my 3/4's that have shown consistent good behavior on up are allowed to play in the playroom "alone" (I can still hear them 100% of the time and they are 5 steps from where I am at all times -it's a bedroom off the open floor plan of my home), and my infants nap there as well (Angelcare monitors on and I check on them every 15/20 minutes or so).

If I came across a kiddo that needed direct line of sight supervision I would provide that or term.

I am always on my own but keep a small group of 6 or less under the age of 6.
Childminder 05:47 PM 08-20-2013
Depends on the age. If under 2.5 direct, over 2.5 to school age is indirect and school age they can be more on their own. If an infant and sleeping they must be checked every 15 minutes.
Familycare71 05:48 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Don't be afraid to post. I really think this is a discussion that needs to be had. We all have our own philosophies of care and our own set of regs to follow. I just really want to know where everyone stands on this issue, and hopefully some who allow children to "free range" might reconsider, as it becomes a major liability issue when someone gets hurt under our watch, when we aren't actually watching, KWIM?
Yes I agree- there are sometimes when I read a post and happens! But I have also had (10+ years ago) my DS and a DCG play "show and tell" il with body parts in a box that they were playing in while I was sitting right there! So- I also understand sometimes things happen even with the best intentions...
I do believe dck require more supervision than our own because of liability and they are being entrusted to us by their parents-
Familycare71 05:49 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
If I have to go to the bathroom, and te other caregiver has her hands full, I will have everyone sit on their bottoms (2 yo and up), and tell them to yell if anyone gets off their bottom). I usually will make it as fast as possible, and run out and check on them between using the bathroom and washing my hands.
That's a good idea!!! . They love to tattle!!! I will be using this!
blandino 05:49 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I voted indirect because I and those old enough potty alone, my 3/4's that have shown consistent good behavior on up are allowed to play in the playroom "alone" (I can still hear them 100% of the time and they are 5 steps from where I am at all times -it's a bedroom off the open floor plan of my home), and my infants nap there as well (Angelcare monitors on and I check on them every 15/20 minutes or so).

If I came across a kiddo that needed direct line of sight supervision I would provide that or term.

I am always on my own but keep a small group of 6 or less under the age of 6.
I should definitely clarify that. My kids are out of my sight when going potty. We don't have dedicated potty times, so they walk to and from alone. Luckily the bathroom is in between the two playrooms.
crazydaycarelady 05:51 PM 08-20-2013
Our regs say within sight OR sound to account for naptime, when a provider most likely isn't going to sit and watch a child sleep.
Familycare71 05:52 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Ok so I just read the other posts who basically said the same as me. Direct except for bathroom and nap... But voted differently. Now I'm really confused although that's not anything new
Sorry! That's probably me!! I guess I voted direct because majority of the time it is...
jenn 05:52 PM 08-20-2013
Depends on the age and maturity of the child. During play times, I will allow some of my older ones (3, 4, 5) to play in the kitchen by themselves. Our art area is in the kitchen and right off of the play room. I can hear them at all times and depending on where I am in the playroom, I can see them. I prefer to keep babies, 1 & 2 year olds within sight. During sleep times, pack and play sleepers will sleep in a separate room, within hearing distance, and are checked on at least every 10 minutes.
nannyde 06:03 PM 08-20-2013
My State says careful supervision at ALL times.

I do direct visual supervision when they are up out of their beds. The only time I'm not watching them with my eyes is during nap when the little ones are confined in equipment they can't get out of. The older kids (over three and a half) are trained to STAY in bed until I or my helper tell them they can get up. I have my house set up that I can hear them if they move around. I also NEVER allow the older kids near the babies. I have three separate napping areas to keep the bigger kids completely away from the babies.

I check the babies during nap every time every ten minutes. I set a timer and do rounds. The kids are all used to me coming into the room every ten minutes. They sleep thru it.

We are not allowed to have any age kid outside without a provider. We aren't allowed to even have a staff assistant outside with them alone. The only person that can watch them outside besides the provider is a co provider who has at least five years experience and approved by the dhs.

If I am caring for them alone and have to leave the room I confine them all and run quick to do what I need to do. I have everything I can do done before they get here. I set up my routine and physical set up for maximum supervision.

These kids are OTHER people's children. They have to be WATCHED at a way higher level than our own kids. The days of "I can't be everywhere all the time" is over. Now when they are on our clocks we have to watch them.

Don't take kids you don't have the room for and kids you can't properly supervise. If you can't watch them then don't take them. No amount of money is worth it.
Hunni Bee 06:16 PM 08-20-2013
I feel the same way. I honestly couldn't imagine allowing kids (who don't belong to me) to play outside unattended. But its the same way I can't imagine people not locking their doors...I guess its the area you live in.
cheerfuldom 06:21 PM 08-20-2013
I dont know the particulars of my licensing area because I am legally unlicensed, however, it never occurred to me to not supervise all kids at all times. For naps, I do separate the kids but I put everyone in a pack n play for as long as possible age wise partially due to the fact that I am not directly supervising during nap time. Every now and then I will have to run to another room to grab something but I even hate to do that. If the kids are up, I feel it is my job to be supervising. I dont even allow my 4 and 5 year old bio. children play in the backyard alone. even when we are outside, the rule is that if you cannot see me, you have to come closer or come out (if they are hiding somewhere). I need to see the kids and they need to see me (that rule keeps them from going to far off in our big fenced backyard or from hiding from me if they are trying to be funny or sneaky.
Familycare71 06:30 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I feel the same way. I honestly couldn't imagine allowing kids (who don't belong to me) to play outside unattended. But its the same way I can't imagine people not locking their doors...I guess its the area you live in.
I can totally understand that- I am in a fairly rural area and my dck (sa)are not allowed to be outside without a buddy. I have had very little problems with it but I also am careful with who I allow the privilege
MCC 06:42 PM 08-20-2013
"The Family Day Home standards do not require sight and sound
supervision because it is impossible for a single provider to do that.
Whether the provider is smoking, on the telephone, in the bathroom, changing a diaper, etc., § 560 A requires a caregiver to be on site and to provide direct care and supervision of each child at all times.
If a provider is smoking on the porch, they are ―on site,‖ but the provider must ensure the safety of children while she is outside.
What are the ages of the children? Can she hear them? Are they all asleep?
Are babies and toddlers in cribs or play pens and not on the floor or in a high chair? In other words, what is she doing to secure the children while she
is unavailable for a few minutes smoking or using the bathroom, etc.
The provider may not leave infants and preschoolers alone in the family day home while she gets a school-aged child off the bus."

This is directly from our regs. I was when I read this.

I am set up on the entire lower level of my home. We have a large playroom with a bathroom, a large sleep room, and we've converted our storage room into a large motor playroom. The only room the kids are ever alone in is the sleep room. I have a video monitor in there to watch them, and usually check on them 2-3 times during their 2 hour nap. I would NEVER step foot outside my house to "smoke" (not that I smoke) while I had daycare kids here.

I do, however, use the bathroom alone. I just leave the door open. I put the infant in a gated off area, and just go. Most of the time I am joined by at least 3 of the children. I can't let daycare kids under 5 use the bathroom alone, but I do let my own 2.5 yo use the potty and wash her hands alone.
blandino 06:47 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I can't let daycare kids under 5 use the bathroom alone, but I do let my own 2.5 yo use the potty and wash her hands alone.
Is the under 5, a licensing regulation ?

I am just curious because all my kids go potty alone. I only go in if they have been gone longer than usual. Now the bathroom is central to the daycare rooms, so they aren't going far.

How would one accompany a 3 year old to the bathroom, and keep direct supervision of all the other children ?
Play Care 07:10 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
Is the under 5, a licensing regulation ?

I am just curious because all my kids go potty alone. I only go in if they have been gone longer than usual. Now the bathroom is central to the daycare rooms, so they aren't going far.

How would one accompany a 3 year old to the bathroom, and keep direct supervision of all the other children ?
Exactly. My potty trained kids use the bathroom independently. Now, I pay attention to who is in the bathroom and how long they've been in there, but I don't go in unless they call and need assistance. When I worked in a preschool we were not allowed to be in the bathroom with the kids.
Cradle2crayons 07:23 PM 08-20-2013
I voted indirect supervision. First off, I'm legally unlicensed, and registered because I take state pay. However, if I were licensed, the regs would be indirect.

I allow all completely potty trained children to go potty independently.

My sleeping room, when my two nap peers are in there, has a video monitor connected to a live feed on my laptop and iPad.

My special dcg girl sleeps in a pnp in my bedroom on the opposite side of the house from the kids hallway with the door open with a video monitor. I also check on her CONSTANTLY when she's asleep.

My newborn dcb sleeps on a PNP in the main living room where I am, in the dedicated infant section of my living room.

As far as outside goes, my son ( age 5), and dcb (sa) are allowed to play outside without me. However, I can see them from the window in the main area.

So, the rules say indirect. But what I actually do is pretty direct.
blandino 07:24 PM 08-20-2013
Exactly. My potty trained kids use the bathroom independently. Now, I pay attention to who is in the bathroom and how long they've been in there, but I don't go in unless they call and need assistance. When I worked in a preschool we were not allowed to be in the bathroom with the kids.
That's where I feel like it is a double edged sword. You go in, and you can be blamed for privacy/molestation, etc. / Don't go in and they are unsupervised.

Same with making bottles. I used to prepare them at the daycare. Then I thought it less responsibility on me to have parents send them prepared and we just warm them (that way I couldn't be held responsible for the contents), but then I ran into a situation where mom was preparing bottles incorrectly.

There are some issues that I feel like you just can pick a completely safe way.
Laurel 07:35 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont know the particulars of my licensing area because I am legally unlicensed, however, it never occurred to me to not supervise all kids at all times. For naps, I do separate the kids but I put everyone in a pack n play for as long as possible age wise partially due to the fact that I am not directly supervising during nap time. Every now and then I will have to run to another room to grab something but I even hate to do that. If the kids are up, I feel it is my job to be supervising. I dont even allow my 4 and 5 year old bio. children play in the backyard alone. even when we are outside, the rule is that if you cannot see me, you have to come closer or come out (if they are hiding somewhere). I need to see the kids and they need to see me (that rule keeps them from going to far off in our big fenced backyard or from hiding from me if they are trying to be funny or sneaky.
I've always done that too. I say "If you can't see me then you are in the wrong place. Come where you can see me."

Laurel
Laurel 07:41 PM 08-20-2013

The only different thing I do is that if I have school agers (which is rare nowadays...mostly just grandkid school agers), I 'sometimes' let them go in the fenced in backyard without me but I MUST be able to see them at all times when I look out the window. So they can't go around a corner or behind a tree. If they do, they come in. I also keep the window open so I can hear them. Mostly they stay on the patio which is right outside the window.
Lyss 07:52 PM 08-20-2013
My regs say sight and/or sound but I'm always in direct sight unless they are napping (I check every 10 minutes) or I'm in the bathroom (I make sure everyone is at the table or in pnp/super yard for toddlers).

I guess I never thought about when the kids go to the bathroom, I can hear them but I don't stand and watch them.

Admittedly I let DD (20mo) play alone in her room sometimes and out back alone if she wakes up from nap early while I get snack ready or clean up dishes but I can hear her in her room (its off playroom) and see her through the window when she's out back. I'd never do this with a DCK! There is too much that could go wrong and it only takes a split second for something to happen.
JoseyJo 09:10 PM 08-20-2013
I voted sight OR sound- BUT I think that there are many times when it needs to be sight AND sound- with any child under 2, any new child, any child with disciplinary issues, when doing anything that has a higher level of danger (like eating, art, etc). I don't see how anyone could say sight AND sound ALL time time unless they have a full time assistant- how do you go pee???
CedarCreek 10:02 PM 08-20-2013
I voted indirect also.

I let my kiddos potty by themselves and I don't directly supervise constantly during naps.

I will say though, i've had a couple of accidents this year when I was right there with them! A couple were just poor clumsy toddlers falling down after tripping over their own feet. Then today,ds's feeding tube coming out at the hands of a dcb happened so quickly, all I had time to do was reach and say "no!" But it was already done.
Leanna 10:05 PM 08-20-2013
I voted direct supervision because this is both what my state requires and what I believe is best.

The only exceptions NYS allows:
My state allows children who are fully capable of going potty, wiping, and washing hands to go to the potty alone (I also allow this when I know a child can handle it and can be 100% trusted).

My state allows children to nap in a separate room with the doors open and a monitor on (I do NOT allow this. All children nap in a room with me supervising. The only time I leave the room when they are napping is to use the restroom myself. I make sure everyone is sleeping and I take a monitor with me and HURRY).

My state allows school-age children to be in a different room or outside without the provider as long as they are physically checked on every 15 minutes. (I do NOT allow children of any age to play outdoors without me but I do allow some of my trusted school-agers to be in the playroom during nap.

My house is very small and I can see the children in the living room from the kitchen.When we are in the playroom or outside I am DIRECTLY supervising them. I have been doing family child care for six years and I have never had any destruction of property or accidents/injuries occur out of my supervision. Property damage is one thing, but if one of these children got hurt and I didn't see it, know exactly what happened, and be able to respond right away I wouldn't even wait for the state, I'd close up shop myself!

I noticed a few NYS providers posted that they (the provider) can use the bathroom by themselves. I have been told that this is a no-no and that we must take the kids with us. This is why I wait until nap!
Play Care 03:52 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I voted direct supervision because this is both what my state requires and what I believe is best.

My state allows children who are fully capable of going potty, wiping, and washing hands to go to the potty alone (I also allow this when I know a child can handle it and can be 100% trusted).

My state allows children to nap in a separate room with the doors open and a monitor on (I do NOT allow this. All children nap in a room with me supervising. The only time I leave the room when they are napping is to use the restroom myself. I make sure everyone is sleeping and I take a monitor with me and HURRY).

My state allows school-age children to be in a different room or outside without the provider as long as they are physically checked on every 15 minutes. (I do NOT allow children of any age to play outdoors without me but I do allow some of my trusted school-agers to be in the playroom during nap.

My house is very small and I can see the children in the living room from the kitchen.When we are in the playroom or outside I am DIRECTLY supervising them. I have been doing family child care for six years and I have never had any destruction of property or accidents/injuries occur out of my supervision. Property damage is one thing, but if one of these children got hurt and I didn't see it, know exactly what happened, and be able to respond right away I wouldn't even wait for the state, I'd close up shop myself!

I noticed a few NYS providers posted that they (the provider) can use the bathroom by themselves. I have been told that this is a no-no and that we must take the kids with us. This is why I wait until nap!
I will get the exact reg later on (I just started my coffee! ) but it does allow for a provider to use the bathroom without the kids! It does say that it would PREFER that another adult supervise the children while the provider uses the bathroom, but understands this isn't always the case. They know we are mostly here alone, they gave us a license for it. Now, does this mean we can leave kids where ever to use the bathroom? No. If someone gets hurt you are still liable. So years ago I developed my "potty plan" Infants and young toddlers are always "put up" for safety in an area they can't be reached by the other children. Older toddlers and young preschoolers are put up in the high chairs/booster seats with special "table toys" specifically for this purpose. Older preschoolers who can handle it are able to continue to play where they are - but this is something that I make clear is for kids who can handle it. And then I go quickly!

I know where the OP is coming from, I cringe when I hear providers say "but I just turned my back for a minute!" with kids they admit are having issues. I am here on a daily basis by myself, so I'm not going to try to blow smoke up anyone's behind about how I have eyes and ears everywhere as if I'm omnipotent. I think what providers absolutely need to plan for is those times when they CAN'T be eyes on. Because to say it *never* happens is unrealistic. Even providers on this thread who said they "always" are eyes on/direct supervisors admit that there are times they can not or won't directly supervise (older children using the bathroom independently). I will say I have NEVER had a child injured on my watch or had property destroyed and had no idea what happened! Mostly because of eyes on supervision, but also a plan for when I can't!

Just looked up the reg it says:

*If there is no other adult in the family day care home, the office recommends the provider interest the children in an activity in a location close enough to the bathroom that would allow the provider to hear the children. If the children are close enough in location that the provider can temporarily supervise the children through auditory means, this will be considered an acceptable alternative to visual supervision for this single purpose. the children should always be told where the provider will be in case they need her/him immediately.

ETA: My "potty plan" has the kids at the kitchen table and dining room, both of which are right by the bathroom. The older kids are on one side, the youngers are on the other and I have the door slightly open. Completely within regs!
Cradle2crayons 04:03 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I voted indirect also.

I let my kiddos potty by themselves and I don't directly supervise constantly during naps.

I will say though, i've had a couple of accidents this year when I was right there with them! A couple were just poor clumsy toddlers falling down after tripping over their own feet. Then today,ds's feeding tube coming out at the hands of a dcb happened so quickly, all I had time to do was reach and say "no!" But it was already done.
On a rare day I only had special dcg and her newborn brother, and because mom paid transportation and extra, I took the special one to three doc appointments yesterday. They were ones that couldn't be scheduled around mom.

And the special needle stick team came to draw blood cultures on her with an ultrasound... These people know girl very well. Anyway, they grabbed her out of my lap and snatched her Mickey j feeding tube right out of that tummy!! So not only was she mad they were gonna stick her but I had to out her feeding tube back in as well. She just had it upsized a few weeks ago and they never told mom they out 5cc in the balloon instead of her usual 3 cc and also never gave mom a 5cc syringe to replace the 3cc syringe with. Luckily I always have new sterile extras in my own bag. Because I used her standard 3cc syringe to deflate the balloon and it didn't completely deflate so I had to improvise and thank goodness I had a 5cc syringe lol. Dcg was NOT a happy camper lol
Familycare71 05:00 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:

I actually had a registrar look into it for me- it is 100% allowed. In addition to our regs there is a book of "sub regs" that go into more detail- that is where she found it. I think I still have it- pm me your email address if you want me to forward it to you
Play Care 05:07 AM 08-21-2013
I actually had a registrar look into it for me- it is 100% allowed. In addition to our regs there is a book of "sub regs" that go into more detail- that is where she found it. I think I still have it- pm me your email address if you want me to forward it to you
My licensor came out and told me that legally they can't tell us we can't use the bathroom. But they can make us have a plan for it.
Familycare71 05:08 AM 08-21-2013
I will get the exact reg later on (I just started my coffee! ) but it does allow for a provider to use the bathroom without the kids! It does say that it would PREFER that another adult supervise the children while the provider uses the bathroom, but understands this isn't always the case. They know we are mostly here alone, they gave us a license for it. Now, does this mean we can leave kids where ever to use the bathroom? No. If someone gets hurt you are still liable. So years ago I developed my "potty plan" Infants and young toddlers are always "put up" for safety in an area they can't be reached by the other children. Older toddlers and young preschoolers are put up in the high chairs/booster seats with special "table toys" specifically for this purpose. Older preschoolers who can handle it are able to continue to play where they are - but this is something that I make clear is for kids who can handle it. And then I go quickly!

I know where the OP is coming from, I cringe when I hear providers say "but I just turned my back for a minute!" with kids they admit are having issues. I am here on a daily basis by myself, so I'm not going to try to blow smoke up anyone's behind about how I have eyes and ears everywhere as if I'm omnipotent. I think what providers absolutely need to plan for is those times when they CAN'T be eyes on. Because to say it *never* happens is unrealistic. Even providers on this thread who said they "always" are eyes on/direct supervisors admit that there are times they can not or won't directly supervise (older children using the bathroom independently). I will say I have NEVER had a child injured on my watch or had property destroyed and had no idea what happened! Mostly because of eyes on supervision, but also a plan for when I can't!

*If there is no other adult in the family day care home, the office recommends the provider interest the children in an activity in a location close enough to the bathroom that would allow the provider to hear the children. If the children are close enough in location that the provider can temporarily supervise the children through auditory means, this will be considered an acceptable alternative to visual supervision for this single purpose. the children should always be told where the provider will be in case they need her/him immediately.

ETA: My "potty plan" has the kids at the kitchen table and dining room, both of which are right by the bathroom. The older kids are on one side, the youngers are on the other and I have the door slightly open. Completely within regs!
. THANK YOU!! - exactly what my registrar sent
MCC 05:13 AM 08-21-2013
Under 5 is a reg.
LK5kids 05:17 AM 08-21-2013
My state allows sight or sound. I did put sight and sound, but then I realized I have the baby in a pnp in one room and the toddler in a pnp in the other room. So I can see all kids at all times except when I or they use the bathroom and these two nappers.

My state allows kids to be outside if you are inside and can watch them, which I would never, ever do!
LaLa1923 05:35 AM 08-21-2013
Here in MD they require you to be within sight OR sound. I have cameras set up and can see from every point inside and out. (except my room and bathrooms)
I can also hear everything in my home, it's all on one floor and it isn't very big. For the most part, I rotate my kiddos from one playroom to another playroom. This keeps them busy and mixes up my trouble makers...lol

If I go to the bathroom I put the babies in the superyard. My SA kids can play outside without me. I do get a permission slip for this. They are only allowed to go in the yard with the cameras. I can see and hear them even without the camera. They all nap in separate rooms and I check on them during nap.

I can't be in both playrooms at once, but I can still see and hear everything.
Cat Herder 05:40 AM 08-21-2013
My State is a direct supervision state (sight and/or reasonable sound). This can be open to interpretation to each inspector. Always go for more, less WILL backfire, badly.

Naptime is supervised. Yes, I watch them sleep. All in one room, everyday. The playroom has permanent half-walls that divide Infant areas from Toddler areas. I do not keep school aged kids.

I cook in advance (up at 5am, open at 8am) and keep warm to minimize time in the kitchen during daycare hours. Drinks are ready (3 per child for milk, water, juice) in color coded cups in the playroom fridge. Bottles the same. The kitchen must be within view of the playroom or I'd have to bring them with me to plate food.

I am allowed potty breaks (mine and theirs) with "reasonable accommodation". Infants in cribs, toddlers behind locked gates in an approved child proofed room. Power Pee is the name of the game.

Playground must be fenced, no child allowed outside of the approved play ground area during daycare hours... mine included. Direct supervision is a huge deal outdoors.
Leanna 05:41 AM 08-21-2013

Where did you find this? If this is true my bladder thanks you! (PMing you!)
Heidi 05:43 AM 08-21-2013
My state says sight OR sound, and this is what I do, except outside, where unless they are school-age, it's sight AND sound.

My house is very small, so occasionally the children are in the playroom, and I can start lunch (in the kitchen about 15 feet away). I keep my ears open and check frequently. If I have a child with behavior issues such as hitting or biting, I modify.

I have 4 kids, and right now all are under 2. The youngest stays by me at all times.

When I had a larger group, and a bigger age mixture, I'd bring them all into the kitchen and have them do puzzles or color something similar while I made lunch. My current group just throws everything on the floor, and one-by-one start wailing for lunch, making very unpleasant, to say the least.

Bathroom; I leave the door partly open (and the light off), unless there is another adult in the house.
Play Care 05:44 AM 08-21-2013
I do allow school aged kids who have shown themselves to be responsible/trustworthy to play/ stay outside without me. To me, this is about knowing your home and the kids. My playroom is at the front of my house. If I'm in the kitchen making lunch, I can't see anyone in there. I usually close off the playroom and bring out a rotation of toys to the family room which is open to the kitchen. But I can see my backyard completely from the kitchen/ family room. My trustworthy school aged kids can and do play safely outside while I change diapers, assist with toileting,make lunch, or occasionally during naps. Mostly because I can see them. And they know they need to stay in the areas I can easily see/ supervise them. Furthermore, I'm not breaking regs in any way.

Everyday I make a plan as to who can be outside, what will be a available to them, and review the rules with them beforehand. Kids who show they can't handle it would lose the privilege permanently. Every single day I evaluate the kids, their behavior, mood, etc. to determine if they are able to be out without me. A child who was having a tough day listening/ following directions would be designated my helper and expected to be with me all day long. I wouldn't chance anything. But at the end of the day, if I couldn't see my backyard easily from the area of the house I'm in, they wouldn't be outside. Oh, and anytime I need to "pop" in the house, every single underage child comes with me - no matter what. Because leaving them out is against regs.
SilverSabre25 06:02 AM 08-21-2013
I say indirect but that comes with the caveat that the environment needs to be controlled to minimize the chances for severe misbehavior, such as access to inappropriate materials.
Cradle2crayons 06:05 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I say indirect but that comes with the caveat that the environment needs to be controlled to minimize the chances for severe misbehavior, such as access to inappropriate materials.
I agree that's important. I have a dcp who is constantly bringing in their kids and the 2 year old and 3 year old are covered in marker and make up do to lack of supervision. WHY OH WHY do people leave those things laying around anyway??

About the only thing a child can get into while I'm peeing here are some extra puzzles and books. NOTHING other than appropriate things are accessible to ANY child here. And I mean nothing.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 08-21-2013
I am in MN. My state statutes say:

Subp. 29a.

Supervision.

"Supervision" means a caregiver being within sight or hearing of an infant, toddler, or preschooler at all times so that the caregiver is capable of intervening to protect the health and safety of the child.

For the school age child, it means a caregiver being available for assistance and care so that the child's health and safety is protected."

MN requires sight OR sound. For school age children, we can allow them to play off our property as long as we are available to them so if they need something they know who to come to and where.

IMHO, the supervision requirements in my state have never been an issue for me.

I don't take SA kids and the way my program is set up...I am within sight AND sound of the children no matter which room I am in.

I can pee freely behind a closed door without worrying about being sanctioned or cited for it.
MsLaura529 09:07 AM 08-21-2013
I do sight AND sound majority of the day, except for my the bathroom, naps, and preparing meals, which are then sight OR sound. (My kitchen is right off of the playroom, but gated off from the kids).

Bathrooms times, I make sure everyone is set up with something safely. Naps, I go into my own family room/kitchen, but am checking on them every 15-20 minutes.
WImom 09:14 AM 08-21-2013
I'm the same. I also have no babies or toddlers, just preschoolers. I also have a daycare only space and if they are all sitting at the table coloring I may go in my own kitchen to get a snack or my laundry room to change over laundry. I can not see them but can 100% hear them as my daycare is right next to these rooms. If I had a new child or one that was newly 2y I wouldn't do that. Right now I have 3, 4, and 5y olds. I can trust them for 2 minutes while I grab something from the other room as long as I can hear them. Also preparing meals I am only doing sound for some of it. That is are only tv time for the day so I've never had problems. They all know to stay on their mat and watch tv or read books in the book area. I can also hear them and I'm in and out setting up lunch so it's mostly sight AND sound.
Lavender 09:51 AM 08-21-2013
I'm in New York so it's direct. I work in a facility, however, so it's direct for sure. My kids are in my room or outside with me at all times. Napping is done there too in cribs or on cots for the older one who will transition soon. I have the luxury of having people who can come in my room for me when I need to potty.
daycarediva 10:09 AM 08-21-2013
I voted direct sight/sound supervision. I am in NY. To clarify how I do things;

I have everyone sit outside the bathroom while I go potty on their tushes with a busy bag, someone moves and everyone else tattles. I have used this method DURING an inspection and my registrar loved it. Then the children take turns using the potty/I change diapers. The kids who are fully potty trained (almost all of mine) use the restroom alone, door cracked with me right outside the door.

I do not nap them in the same room as me during the summer/school breaks (my own SA children are home) but I do nap them in the same room when school is in session, so I have a separate nap room with a video monitor and do checks every 15m. Nap room is right off the play room so I can almost see everyone anyway. I have mostly 2+, youngest child I have accepted into care in the last 4 years was 18m, all on mats, all sound asleep before I leave the room.

I do allow my long time, very trustworthy, SA dcb to play with DS on the back deck in our fenced in yard (with no gate), or in DS's rooms with every 15m checks, per licensing regulations. I do NOT allow my young SA'er, as he cannot be trusted. I do this on a kid by kid basis. So far in 7 years, only 2 have ever been allowed out of my direct line of sight for other than restroom use.

My biggest issue is lunch prep, which takes under 15 minutes, the way my house is, I can't see the playroom from the kitchen. I have everyone go into the dining room (which I can see) and do gross motor activities or bring out a special game, or puzzles to keep them occupied and in line of sight.

I WILL NOT have anything preventable happen on my watch. I would NEVER forgive myself. I think of the regulations as the minimum requirements, and strive to meet or exceed them in all aspects.
Familycare71 10:23 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I voted direct sight/sound supervision. I am in NY. To clarify how I do things;

I have everyone sit outside the bathroom while I go potty on their tushes with a busy bag, someone moves and everyone else tattles. I have used this method DURING an inspection and my registrar loved it. Then the children take turns using the potty/I change diapers. The kids who are fully potty trained (almost all of mine) use the restroom alone, door cracked with me right outside the door.

I do not nap them in the same room as me during the summer/school breaks (my own SA children are home) but I do nap them in the same room when school is in session, so I have a separate nap room with a video monitor and do checks every 15m. Nap room is right off the play room so I can almost see everyone anyway. I have mostly 2+, youngest child I have accepted into care in the last 4 years was 18m, all on mats, all sound asleep before I leave the room.

I do allow my long time, very trustworthy, SA dcb to play with DS on the back deck in our fenced in yard (with no gate), or in DS's rooms with every 15m checks, per licensing regulations. I do NOT allow my young SA'er, as he cannot be trusted. I do this on a kid by kid basis. So far in 7 years, only 2 have ever been allowed out of my direct line of sight for other than restroom use.

My biggest issue is lunch prep, which takes under 15 minutes, the way my house is, I can't see the playroom from the kitchen. I have everyone go into the dining room (which I can see) and do gross motor activities or bring out a special game, or puzzles to keep them occupied and in line of sight.

I WILL NOT have anything preventable happen on my watch. I would NEVER forgive myself. I think of the regulations as the minimum requirements, and strive to meet or exceed them in all aspects.

Angelsj 10:31 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am in MN.

I can pee freely behind a closed door without worrying about being sanctioned or cited for it.
LOL Me too, but I rarely do. (Pee alone.. )
I remember my licensor going over the regs and thinking good grief..well I will at least never be out of compliance.
Angelsj 10:32 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I agree that's important. I have a dcp who is constantly bringing in their kids and the 2 year old and 3 year old are covered in marker and make up do to lack of supervision. WHY OH WHY do people leave those things laying around anyway??

About the only thing a child can get into while I'm peeing here are some extra puzzles and books. NOTHING other than appropriate things are accessible to ANY child here. And I mean nothing.
Right? I had a parent make THREE trips to the ER in one month due to the child drinking or eating some type of medication. Seriously??
laundrymom 10:37 AM 08-21-2013
I'm a sight AND sound provider. Even when I use bathroom. A half door and strategically placed convex mirrors make it possible
Angelsj 10:44 AM 08-21-2013
In light of some recent threads, I am wondering what level of supervision is necessary to protect the children in our care, our property from being destroyed and our livelihoods from being destroyed. Maybe it is just me, but I believe it is my UPMOST responsibility to directly supervise, constantly, while children are in my care. Without referring to any one thread specifically, I am getting a horrible feeling that many providers do not take their role as seriously as they should. This SERIOUSLY frightens and concerns me and I really wonder what, if anything can and should be done about it.

So, please share with me, what do you think is the level of supervision necessary for anyone caring for other people's children?
I am not going to vote, but just wanted to point out that the poll question and the question YOU are asking are different. My state allows sight OR sound for under school age, and free play/roam for school agers.
*I* have different standards.
Out of curiousity, what threads are you referring to in this post, if you don't mind sharing?
Michelle 10:44 AM 08-21-2013
I personally think it's inappropriate to use the restroom in front of other peoples children... and I would never do it... but if parents are o.k. with it and so is licensing that's fine.

When we are out in public, I never have to worry about supervising them while I use the restroom or take them in with me because I always have an assistant with me but I saw this lady with a great idea at the museum.

She had a little girl around 7 years old and the lady used the restroom privately and she had the girl stand on the outside of the stall but really close to the door so that her shoes can be easily seen while she was going to the bathroom.
I thought this was awesome! and would be awesome for boys that are too young for the mens room and you have nobody to watch them outside the bathroom.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:46 AM 08-21-2013
I have my childcare area blocked from the rest of the house. I am always within hearing. I may have them blocked in the playroom and I am in the kitchen which is attached. The playroom would form an L with the kitchen and breakfast nook. But, I always make sure it is children that can play.
Crystal 10:57 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I am not going to vote, but just wanted to point out that the poll question and the question YOU are asking are different. My state allows sight OR sound for under school age, and free play/roam for school agers.
*I* have different standards.
Out of curiousity, what threads are you referring to in this post, if you don't mind sharing?
The questions are the same. I wasn't asking what state regs are in the poll, but I can see where it might have been thought that I was. I was asking what do provider's feel is necessary. But, I like hearing the State Regs. too.
Cradle2crayons 11:38 AM 08-21-2013
The questions are the same. I wasn't asking what state regs are in the poll, but I can see where it might have been thought that I was. I was asking what do provider's feel is necessary. But, I like hearing the State Regs. too.
I answered according to regs because the polls asked "WHAT LEVEL IS REQUIRED OF PROVIDERS" not "what kind of supervision do you, as a provider, give"

T me, two different questions, so that's why I answered the poll what is required and then explained.
Angelsj 11:45 AM 08-21-2013
Ahh..in that case, I would vote in the middle. But honestly, it truly depends on the child. I have one 10 year old and an eight year old (girls if that matters) that I allow in my fenced back yard alone with 5 min checks. They are incredibly trustworthy kids.
I have several school age boys that, pardon the french, but no way in hell would I allow them out there alone.
I carry all infants or have them at my arms reach at all times. Toddlers and preschoolers generally line of sight, though I do go to the restroom (open door) and if they follow, fine. If not, I just don't stay long. The bathroom is huge, so I typically have a full entourage of toddlers trailing behind me to play in there. There are toys that are only in there, so it is fun and that is the only time they get them, other than diaper changes.
Crystal 11:52 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I answered according to regs because the polls asked "WHAT LEVEL IS REQUIRED OF PROVIDERS" not "what kind of supervision do you, as a provider, give"

T me, two different questions, so that's why I answered the poll what is required and then explained.
Yeah....like I said, I can see where the confusion might have come from, as I could have worded it differently. At any rate, I am loving the responses and think it has been a great discussion.
mom2many 11:59 AM 08-21-2013
I'm sight or sound...However, it depends upon the dcks and the ages as to how much direct supervision I give. My house is a fairly small open floor plan, so I'm "almost" always within constant sight and always within constant sound. However, there are times when I am in the kitchen and have an older preschool or S/A playing in the other room or when using the restroom, that I don't have my eyes on them.

I learned years ago with my own children that if someone becomes very quiet, they are usually up to something and need to be checked on! If I do leave the direct sight of a child, I am vigilant about checking on them...even the older ones when they are coloring or using glue sticks.

I have S/A that come home and have snack and sit at the kitchen table to do h/w, while the younger ones play in the adjacent room. I can sit and watch the younger ones and listen to what the older ones are doing w/o actually being in the same room.

I have never had anything destroyed in 27 years and have never had any injuries either- other than an occasional bump or bruise from falling down...Knock on wood!
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:02 PM 08-21-2013
Mine are never allowed to play without direct supervision, which includes both indoors and outdoors, according to my own standards.

The only time they do not have my eyes on them the entire time is during nap (when they are in the room with me while I eat and do paperwork/get online/etc. OR are in the room next to me across a half wall and big open area ... no actual door), if I am grabbing lunch or snack out of the kitchen (they are required to sit on the circle time carpet in their spot and read a book ... they will tattle if someone gets out of their spot), or if they are going potty (I can see them walk to the restroom and only can't see them inside ... only ONE child is allowed to go at a time and that area is gated off so they HAVE to ask) or if I am going potty (mostly during designated times when they are occupied with a book or all waiting to do a mass potty break with me right there as well or asleep).
Some might consider these three times unacceptable but it works well for me and I feel comfortable. I'd be far less strict with my own kids than these kids that aren't mine.
Tags:poll, supervision - active vs. passive
Reply Up