Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>5 Month Old Breastfeeding
lovemykidstoo 10:17 AM 09-12-2013
I have a 5 month old dcb that is really a pistol. If you're not holding him, talking to him etc, he is throwing a tizzy. Seriously, I've never seen a 5 month old throw a temper tantrum, but I swear he does. I'm working with him on that. now this week he is turning his nose up at his bottle. I know that he must be hungry because he's here for 10 hours and he only has 2 six ounce bottles all day. She is not starting him on solids until he's 6 months old. I've been having this problem with the bottle all week so it occurred to me that maybe he just doesn't want the physical bottle but mommas breast instead to feed. Now I don't want this to sound creepy or anything, but I have to figure out what's going on, so I tried to give him bottle, big struggle, tried to give pacifier, big struggle. I got desperate so I took my pinky finger that literally has no nail and wanted to see if he would suck on that and bingo. He did. Now I figure that my little tiny pinky is about the same size as a breast nipple (I now this probably sounds really weird). As soon as he sucked on my tip of my pinky for a couple seconds he started throwing a fit again. Probably figured out that no milk was coming out. I finally was able to get him to take the bottle. I asked mom about it when she came. Asked her if she was feeding him at all at home or anywhere with a bottle and she said no. He's here 3 days a week. So here is the only place he's getting a bottle. has anyone had any issues with this? Is there anything other than what I'm doing? Also, I've had a lot of moms breastfeeding, but this is the first time I've had anyone wait 6 months to introduce solids. I believe that this is what's recommended. Maybe he's getting tired of just milk?
Luvnmykidz 10:24 AM 09-12-2013
If it were me I would tell dcm that she must get him used to the bottle first before bringing him back to you. I'm assuming that he is new. Its her job to prepare him for daycare, and for his comfort/needs as well as yours, he needs to be able to take the bottle.
lovemykidstoo 10:28 AM 09-12-2013
The thing is, he's been fine with the bottle up until about a week or two ago. His temperament has always been bad. I'm hoping he outgrows it. If he's not being entertained, he gets pissed. BIGTIME!

I've had him for 2 months.
SSWonders 10:47 AM 09-12-2013
Is he getting breast milk in the bottle?
Heidi 11:02 AM 09-12-2013
Mom needs to hand him to dad, gma, the neighbor, and the mailman with a bottle on the days he's not there. He needs to drink from a bottle, and he'll probably not do it for her when the real thing is in sight and smell.

As for the temper tantrum thing, I've definitely seen it. The 9 mo I have here has been the same way since day 1. He's usually sweet, but if he doesn't like something, he bucks and screams like nobody's business!
lovemykidstoo 12:09 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
Is he getting breast milk in the bottle?
Yup, breastmilk in the bottle while he's here.
lovemykidstoo 12:11 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Mom needs to hand him to dad, gma, the neighbor, and the mailman with a bottle on the days he's not there. He needs to drink from a bottle, and he'll probably not do it for her when the real thing is in sight and smell.

As for the temper tantrum thing, I've definitely seen it. The 9 mo I have here has been the same way since day 1. He's usually sweet, but if he doesn't like something, he bucks and screams like nobody's business!
That's what I was thinking. Doesn't dad ever want to have that time with his baby? Seems like once in a great while he would want to feed his son.
MarinaVanessa 12:16 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That's what I was thinking. Doesn't dad ever want to have that time with his baby? Seems like once in a great while he would want to feed his son.
This is what I was thinking. My DH bottle fed my now 2yo DS and currently now our 6 week old DS and its great bonding time. Our 2yo has a great bond with my DH and i absolutely believe that its because my DH bottle fed him (shirtless for that skin on skin contact) during the night about half the time.
Lyss 01:00 PM 09-12-2013
Can mom bring in a shirt or blanket she's worn/used? I had provider friend that was struggling with an infant not taking a bottle (her DCM refused to let anyone else at home feed DCG with a bottle) so she had mom bring a blanket that she had slept with (they co-slept) and my friend would drape the blanket over herself then offer the bottle to DCG. It worked and after a few times she took a bottle no problem.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This is what I was thinking. My DH bottle fed my now 2yo DS and currently now our 6 week old DS and its great bonding time. Our 2yo has a great bond with my DH and i absolutely believe that its because my DH bottle fed him (shirtless for that skin on skin contact) during the night about half the time.
DH did this as well and DD (21 months) is definitely a daddy's girl!
Cradle2crayons 02:29 PM 09-12-2013
I have a 5 month old dcb that is really a pistol. If you're not holding him, talking to him etc, he is throwing a tizzy. Seriously, I've never seen a 5 month old throw a temper tantrum, but I swear he does. I'm working with him on that. now this week he is turning his nose up at his bottle. I know that he must be hungry because he's here for 10 hours and he only has 2 six ounce bottles all day. She is not starting him on solids until he's 6 months old. I've been having this problem with the bottle all week so it occurred to me that maybe he just doesn't want the physical bottle but mommas breast instead to feed. Now I don't want this to sound creepy or anything, but I have to figure out what's going on, so I tried to give him bottle, big struggle, tried to give pacifier, big struggle. I got desperate so I took my pinky finger that literally has no nail and wanted to see if he would suck on that and bingo. He did. Now I figure that my little tiny pinky is about the same size as a breast nipple (I now this probably sounds really weird). As soon as he sucked on my tip of my pinky for a couple seconds he started throwing a fit again. Probably figured out that no milk was coming out. I finally was able to get him to take the bottle. I asked mom about it when she came. Asked her if she was feeding him at all at home or anywhere with a bottle and she said no. He's here 3 days a week. So here is the only place he's getting a bottle. has anyone had any issues with this? Is there anything other than what I'm doing? Also, I've had a lot of moms breastfeeding, but this is the first time I've had anyone wait 6 months to introduce solids. I believe that this is what's recommended. Maybe he's getting tired of just milk?
This post here is exactly why I require ALL breastfed babies to be nipple trained BEFORE starting the first day of daycare. I also require in day one mom to prove the baby will take a bottle.
Unregistered 07:29 PM 09-12-2013
OMG I totally thought you were going to say you whipped yours out to see if that was the problem!!! After you said you had to figure it out and didn't want to sound creepy, That is what came to mind. So glad it was just your pinky. Years ago a provider about 30 min from here lost her license when a dcm walked in and she was nursing her child, the dcm's not her own.
Familycare71 08:12 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OMG I totally thought you were going to say you whipped yours out to see if that was the problem!!! After you said you had to figure it out and didn't want to sound creepy, That is what came to mind. So glad it was just your pinky. Years ago a provider about 30 min from here lost her license when a dcm walked in and she was nursing her child, the dcm's not her own.
I had the thought that she skin to skinned with him!
But I do agree with a pp to get a shirt or something that smells like mom
lovemykidstoo 03:14 AM 09-13-2013
OMG you guys are hilarious!! No, I did NOT whip out my own bwawhahahaha!!!! That is NOT gonna be happening hahaha!!!

The weird thing is, he was doing fine, then all of a sudden he's been acting like this. My husband thinks that he's just tired of the bottle and wants real food since he's 5 months old and is a good size baby. I've never had any infants that waited 6 months to introduce solids.

having a blanket or shirt might be a good idea that I could try.
Unregistered 08:49 AM 09-13-2013
6 months is the MINIMUM to begin solids. She's doing nothing wrong. Food before 1 is just for fun.
lovemykidstoo 08:59 AM 09-13-2013
6 months is the MINIMUM to begin solids. She's doing nothing wrong. Food before 1 is just for fun.
I didn't mean to indicate that she was doing something wrong, I know that that is the recommendation, I just have not had anyone that waited until that age. My son was 2 months when he started eating baby food. He's 15 now. Just wondered if maybe this infant was getting tired of just the bottle/nursing.
Unregistered 09:01 AM 09-13-2013
2 months???? that's horrible!

Infants don't get "tired" of nursing.
lovemykidstoo 09:04 AM 09-13-2013
2 months???? that's horrible!

Infants don't get "tired" of nursing.
That's horrible? bwahahaha, whatever. yea, i'm such a horrible mother. Man up and show your real name why don't ya? Hilarious! Thanks for giving me a laugh seriously
Unregistered 09:07 AM 09-13-2013
and why don't you stop trying to sabatoge this mother trying to make breastfeeding work for her family? I don't understand why so many providers on this forum are so anti breastfeeding. Why so many don't do research and push bottles and nipple training and starting solids so very early. It's really horrible. Continuing breastfeeding while your child is in care is so very difficult and is worse when you have a provider that isn't willing to assist you.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/e...reastfed-baby/
MarinaVanessa 11:16 AM 09-13-2013
and why don't you stop trying to sabatoge this mother trying to make breastfeeding work for her family? I don't understand why so many providers on this forum are so anti breastfeeding. Why so many don't do research and push bottles and nipple training and starting solids so very early. It's really horrible. Continuing breastfeeding while your child is in care is so very difficult and is worse when you have a provider that isn't willing to assist you.

No one here is against breastfeeding, we ALL encourage breast feeding .

What the problem is when you have a parent that doesn't consider that their infant will have to go from absolute breast feeding to suddenly bottle feeding only during the day. That;s a HUGE adjustment for an infant. People are simply suggesting that the DCM work with the infant at home with other family members to help the infant learn to feed from a bottle. If this doesn't happen then the infant gets dropped off at daycare and is miserable because the infant is hungry and doesn't know how to take a bottle so now is not being fed and an infant doesn't understand why.

As a parent it is my responsibility to make sure that my infant (I have a 6 week old) is prepared to be left with someone else when I can't personally care for him. My DH helps me with this by bottle feeding our infant on occasion with breast milk (not formula) so that when we want to go out to dinner or I have to go to class or workshops without him he doesn't struggle with not knowing how to drink from a bottle.

THAT is what we are saying, not to stop breast feeding all together. We simply want infants to transition as comfortably as possible to their new daycare routine and if an infant can't eat then they will be miserable which is not only bad for the infant itself but stressful for the other children in care and the provider.
Cradle2crayons 03:59 PM 09-13-2013

I haven't seen anyone here bash or attempt to sabotage a breastfeeding mother.

HOWEVER, it doesn't make much sense for a breastfeeding mom to go to work and send her child to childcare with no breastmilk or a way to feed the baby. You complain we are pushing bottles. HOW ELSE is the baby supposed to drink the breastmilk while at daycare ??
Unregistered 05:29 PM 09-13-2013
There are a lot of alternative feeding methods- cups and spoons work well. Some kids just don't take bottles at daycare. My kid reverse cycled. She took maybe 6 ounces all day and nursed all night. Pushing solids too early can really need with a mother's supply. Care providers often push for more milk before looking at other methods to sooth and may be used to formula fed infants to drink much more. This demand for more milk can really stress a pumping mom and make it even harder for her to get what little bit she is stressing to pump. I tried everything in the world to get my kid to take a bottle and she just refused. Day came and I had to go to work. I had no choice. I had tried multiple bottles, other people, being in the room, being out of the house, warm milk, cold milk, you name it. Sometimes its just not that easy. Kid waited for me to get home and then stayed latched all night. It sucked-literally.
Cradle2crayons 05:44 PM 09-13-2013
There are a lot of alternative feeding methods- cups and spoons work well. Some kids just don't take bottles at daycare. My kid reverse cycled. She took maybe 6 ounces all day and nursed all night. Pushing solids too early can really need with a mother's supply. Care providers often push for more milk before looking at other methods to sooth and may be used to formula fed infants to drink much more. This demand for more milk can really stress a pumping mom and make it even harder for her to get what little bit she is stressing to pump. I tried everything in the world to get my kid to take a bottle and she just refused. Day came and I had to go to work. I had no choice. I had tried multiple bottles, other people, being in the room, being out of the house, warm milk, cold milk, you name it. Sometimes its just not that easy. Kid waited for me to get home and then stayed latched all night. It sucked-literally.
Ok just to clarify. Providers shouldn't push so,it's because the LACK of demand messes with supply. Yet we demand too much milk and that messes with supply. Am I getting this right??

First off, I personally wouldn't recommend solids on a breastfed baby unless it was a last resort. Second of all, a baby who won't drink all day and cries from hunger won't fit into my program here. That's one reason I require that mom show me the baby is nipple trained prior to starting in my daycare.

Thirdly, what other "methods to soothe " should we look to do while the baby is screaming bloody murder from hunger?? As a one on one nanny, that may work just fine. But in group care, it's just not realistic.

I HUGELY encourage breastfeeding exclusively. However, my program isn't set up to deal with a child screaming bloody murder for 10 hours a day because they are hungry. And even if it was, I wouldn't subject a child to that.
lovemykidstoo 05:50 AM 09-14-2013
Noone in this thread was pushing anti-breastfeeding and this poster knows it. This poster is just trying to rile everyone up and I'm not falling for it. That was not my intent as the original poster and it's quite evident because everyone else gets it.

I'm not in the mood for an anonymous person to try and push my buttons like we're in the 3rd grade. We lost a wonderful member of our family yesterday. My brother in law died of a sudden fatal heart attack and we are all devastated so someone blatanly trying to cause trouble is the last thing I need right now.

The mother sends breast milk, I'm all for breastmilk. I feel terrible for a baby that is obviously struggling to take a bottle and feel full on my watch and was looking for help, not ignorant responses from a person that doesn't even have enough balls to show their name.

Good day
Familycare71 07:02 AM 09-14-2013
Noone in this thread was pushing anti-breastfeeding and this poster knows it. This poster is just trying to rile everyone up and I'm not falling for it. That was not my intent as the original poster and it's quite evident because everyone else gets it.

I'm not in the mood for an anonymous person to try and push my buttons like we're in the 3rd grade. We lost a wonderful member of our family yesterday. My brother in law died of a sudden fatal heart attack and we are all devastated so someone blatanly trying to cause trouble is the last thing I need right now.

The mother sends breast milk, I'm all for breastmilk. I feel terrible for a baby that is obviously struggling to take a bottle and feel full on my watch and was looking for help, not ignorant responses from a person that doesn't even have enough balls to show their name.

Good day
so sorry for your loss!
lovemykidstoo 07:07 AM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
so sorry for your loss!
Thank you so much. I can't stop crying. His daughter (my niece) is 22 and her and my daughter resemble each other so much. When I was holding her last night and rubbing her head as she sobbed I looked down and saw my daughter and it broke my heart. I'm so worried about her more than anyone.
tratliff 03:07 PM 10-11-2013
As a nursing mom, I can understand mom not wanting to have to pump when it's not absolutely necessary and give baby a bottle or have someone else do it when not at daycare. I absolutely hated pumping, but, mom does need to have baby bottle trained. I have heard of babies that do fine with the bottle and start refusing it out of nowhere. My hubby always found other ways to bond with our son. It wasn't that big of a deal for us, and holding a plastic bottle with a fake nipple in his mouth wasn't the best way for them to bond. There were tons of other ways, just want to point it out, like baby-wearing, skin to skin, bathing, lots of stuff.
I love the suggestion to have a shirt or something of moms there, maybe to drape across your shoulder when feeding. Honestly, from other moms I've talked to, it's usually a phase at this point and most likely, will pass. I also agree with the comment that food before 1 is just for fun, but not with all that unnecessary attitude that followed. Why are people like that. Current science shows us that introducing anything other than breastmilk or formula before 6 months could have a negative impact on a baby's digestive system. But, 15 years ago, early solids was common practice and usually recommended. Geez, why do some people think they can just trash talk everyone else. That being said, it is accurate to say that a breastfed baby can thrive on breastmilk alone for the first 12 months, and before 12 months, solid food should not replace any breastmilk, only complement. Meaning, a baby should not drink less breastmilk than normal when solids or introduced.
But, your situation now, love the mom's shirt idea. Sorry I ramble... I don't know how feasible it is for you, but could you try to feed him somewhere with minimal distractions. A dark or dimly lit room, or a quiet space without anything else going on? That might help him focus on just eating. But, he will eat eventually. Babies won't starve themselves. He may end up just reverse cycling.
Laura 07:20 AM 10-23-2013
The idea of having something of his mom, like a blanket or shirt is a good one.
And as for being anti breastfeeding, I'm new but hvae not seen any of that on here. I just see someone who really wants this child to be happy while in her care, the fact that she's even asking about this on here shows how much she cares about this issue.
As someone who's nursed her babies in the past I'm suprised that the mom didn't prepare her child better, who wants to think of their child being distressed while they're at work? As for the introduction of solids, after 6 months is the recommended time but all children are different and it shouldn't be taken so literally. Neither of my daughters wanted any solid food until at least 7 months, but my nephews were totally different.
Sorry, no actual advice here, just support for what you're doing.
And I'm very sorry for your loss.
lovemykidstoo 08:18 AM 10-23-2013
Well, luckily, this phase has ended. He now drinks his bottle just fine. Was a shortlived thing. She just started him on rice cereal and the poor thing cries everytime I try to give it to him.

Laura, thank you for your condolences
sunlight 07:53 AM 12-19-2013
I have one kinda like that right now. He is 6 months old. Started with me at 3 months old. Cries ALOT!! He does take his bottle and the parents are feeding him jarred food and so am I . Eating isn't the problem, he wants to be held all the time. Doesn't sleep well and wakes up a lot when he does sleep. At home he is up most of the night and being breast fed when he wakes up through out the night. It has been a challenge but I know when mom stops breast feeding his behavior will stop with it. She is slowing down on her milk production but is still trying. I do support breast feeding moms because it is a good thing. But when it makes it hard for baby to be separated from mom because of it it's not very fun.

Hang in there. The baby will eventually take the bottle. I've heard of some providers making the hole on the nipple for the bottle a little bit larger so the milk flows more easily. They have told me it helps to get breast fed babies eating from the bottle because they don't have to work as hard to get the bottled milk to flow. I haven't had this problem as so far, all the babies I've cared for take both breast and bottle.
mjaddi 01:30 PM 12-19-2013
Yes, I'm a dad and have 3 kids. I fed all three of them not because it was my job to do so, but because I enjoyed it. My youngest will not let his mother feed him if I am present, he insists on me feeding him. Some dads haven't tried it and don't want to bother with it, but if they did they would realize how great of a feeling it is.
kindertouch 07:18 AM 12-22-2013
It's the responsibility of a parent to prepare everything especially the items the baby needs. If a parent will be out for a long time, she has to train the kids to drink from a bottle or cup feeding so as not to bring more problems within the site.
Tags:breastfeeding
Reply Up