Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Minute Menu Expenses - Mortage??
SunflowerMama 12:24 PM 09-30-2010
I am recording all my non-food expenses in the MMK software and was wondering about our monthly mortage. I saw an option for Apartment/Home Rent and then home insurance and tax but nothing for a mortage payment.

Are you able to claim a TS percentage of your monthly mortage? If so where do I add it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!
legomom922 01:00 PM 09-30-2010
It's either under Home,which is under Home & Repairs. It comes up as depreciation, and any expense that I have that comes upunder that, I have no idea how to figure it, so I haven't filled that part in yet, just waiting for a day when I have time to research it, or Rent and Home rent . You would think that would make that alot clearer! Let me know how you make out.
kidkair 03:45 PM 09-30-2010
You can depreciate your house but I don't know how through MMK I just do it though my tax program. In MMK there is a TS% for the taxes on the house but mortgage payments are not TS%.
legomom922 06:28 PM 09-30-2010
Mortgage is not T/S??

We really need a MMK/Tax board here!
SunflowerMama 06:46 PM 09-30-2010
Thanks everyone! I also agree we need a MMK forum.
legomom922 06:53 PM 09-30-2010
Maybe Michael could put a MMK thread at the top of the board like those other 3 or 4 are? You know, the ones that never go away?

Or just start a MMK thread, and keep it going??

But you still don't have an answer to your question..do you..
misol 06:18 PM 10-02-2010
I think I remember seeing somewhere that you can only deduct mortgage interest and property taxes, but not the actual mortgage payment. If you rent, you get to deduct a portion of your rent, but if you own the home you just depreciate.
Jewels 06:25 PM 10-02-2010
I guess I've just been putting it under home or apartment rent, but maybe thats not right, I thought I remembered my tax lady last year doing TS% of our monthly mortgage, but maybe she did something with depreciation, either way it probably still ends up being about the same for deduction, I think, Its a pretty big chunk.
TomCopeland 04:54 PM 10-03-2010
Your mortgage payment consists of principal and interest. The interest is deductible after applying your time-space percentage (there is an expense category for this). Your principal payment is not deductible. Instead, you get this expense through depreciation of your home. So, don't enter your mortgage payment as an expense in Minute Menu.
SunflowerMama 06:42 PM 10-03-2010
Great thanks Tom!! I was hoping you would chime in on this one .
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:17 AM 10-04-2010
I agree...we need a tax related forum...I have so many questions and don't know where to find the answer.

I also think I have to find a new tax preparer..my accountant told me last year not to worry about claiming depreciation of my home because if I go to sell it, it's a pain. I really don't see myself selling my home and I think he just didn't want to go through the hassle? I don't know, but he is not used to doing daycare taxes so I feel I can't even ask him questions because I don't think he will know the answer.
kidkair 06:22 AM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I agree...we need a tax related forum...I have so many questions and don't know where to find the answer.

I also think I have to find a new tax preparer..my accountant told me last year not to worry about claiming depreciation of my home because if I go to sell it, it's a pain. I really don't see myself selling my home and I think he just didn't want to go through the hassle? I don't know, but he is not used to doing daycare taxes so I feel I can't even ask him questions because I don't think he will know the answer.
I heard that not depreciating your house would cause a lot of problems when you sell it. You should definitely find someone more suitable for your taxes.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:28 AM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I heard that not depreciating your house would cause a lot of problems when you sell it. You should definitely find someone more suitable for your taxes.
I got funny vibes when he did my taxes last year...I was only registred from Sept.-Dec. so thankfully it wasn't the whole year but now this year is a full year, I want them done correctly and to my advantage. I had used him for years but I didn't do daycare, it's a whole new ballgame/rules and since I don't know what I'm doing, I need an accountant who does.
TomCopeland 06:42 AM 10-04-2010
You should always depreciate your home. When you sell your home you must pay taxes on the depreciation you were entitled to claim after 1997. So, if you don't claim the depreciation you will still have to pay taxes on it! Tell you tax preparer to file IRS Form 3115 with your 2010 taxes. This will allow you to recapture any previously unclaimed depreciation on your home (or any other depreciation you didn't claim) for as many years back that you didn't do this. Tom
Jewels 11:56 AM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
Your mortgage payment consists of principal and interest. The interest is deductible after applying your time-space percentage (there is an expense category for this). Your principal payment is not deductible. Instead, you get this expense through depreciation of your home. So, don't enter your mortgage payment as an expense in Minute Menu.
So does this mean you pretty much deduct your mortgage interest twice? since we deduct the mortgage interest on our regular part of our taxes, then we can deduct it again, with the T/S%?
misol 02:57 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by Jewels:
So does this mean you pretty much deduct your mortgage interest twice? since we deduct the mortgage interest on our regular part of our taxes, then we can deduct it again, with the T/S%?
You deduct the amount allowed by your t/s % for your home business and then the remainder gets deducted on the regular part. Depending on the tax software you are using it will enter the remaineder for you automatically.
Unregistered 02:52 AM 10-05-2010
Ok, so here is a twist to that. I have a rent to own lease. Technically I rent but a portion of my rent goes to the purchase of the home. If I don't buy the home the portion is considered rent money. How does that work for TS? I have been including the entire payment under rent.
sdaleiden 06:08 PM 10-06-2010
Hi All:

I am a representative from Minute Menu, Samantha. Please call me Sam! I am happy to see you were considering making a Minute Menu thread for questions and comments because it means what we were developing is really of importance to you!

In late October, early November, we are launching a forum in which you can talk about Minute Menu, share each other's expertise and find some help with your questions from our team members!

Until then, please feel free to join our group on Linked In and direct your questions and Minute Menu threads there:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistr...y=7B23E41306ED

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Sam
childcareinfo@minutemenu.com
TomCopeland 07:23 PM 10-07-2010
When you rent to own, count everything you pay as rent, until you actually are purchasing the home. Once you buy your home you can start depreciating it and claiming mortgage interest as well.
misol 01:37 PM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by sdaleiden:
Hi All:

I am a representative from Minute Menu, Samantha. Please call me Sam! I am happy to see you were considering making a Minute Menu thread for questions and comments because it means what we were developing is really of importance to you!

In late October, early November, we are launching a forum in which you can talk about Minute Menu, share each other's expertise and find some help with your questions from our team members!

Until then, please feel free to join our group on Linked In and direct your questions and Minute Menu threads there:
http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistr...y=7B23E41306ED

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Sam
childcareinfo@minutemenu.com

Sam, where have you been all my life? Thanks for joining the board and we look forward to learning a lot from you.
Tags:minute menu kids, mortgage
Reply Up