Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:01 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Husbands!!!

So I've been PANICKING about September with losing 2 kids about how I am going to pay my bills. So I decided fine I will take babies again and called my son's baseball coach and said I had an opening to take their baby in January. (I was desperate) then my husband calls me after work and says he found someone for me through his work. I was ecstatic. Then he told me he gave them a price and then I saw red. I've been going back and forth with my prices I want to charge $150 but the lowest I will go is $125 my husband told them $100. I told him next time to contact me first.

Last edited by Michael; 08-23-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:04 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I'd tell the client your husband was incorrect, that he is not really all that familiar with your business.

I'd laugh a little and tell them your rate then offer them an interview like for any other client.

Easy to turn around, IMHO.

My word of mouth clients often quote my rates from 10-15 years ago.

I'd treat this the same way...

Now if DH pulls the "But it is my friend/boss/bromance and I promised him a good deal..." (like a few of my family members have tried to pull over the years) tell DH "Sure, they can pay $100 a week. YOU can pay the other $50 a week."
Old 08-23-2011, 06:11 AM

I would just explain to them that he mustve been thinking about a part time client, and that he has no idea what you charge. Ahhh men. They try to be helpful sometimes.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

My husband has given out wrong info about my business, too. I correct him when he tells me what he said, and so far he has been the one to correct himself to the other person.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemommy View Post
My husband has given out wrong info about my business, too. I correct him when he tells me what he said, and so far he has been the one to correct himself to the other person.
I like this one. He messed up, let him straighten it out.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:09 AM

Oh no. My hubs is very involved in the daycare - but he sticks to playing with the kids, helping with feedings, clean ups, etc. He does not involve himself in the money and paperwork aspects - he always directs everyone to me for that kind of thing. You and your hubs need a similar "rule". Also, give your hubs some business cards with your number and email - that way he can direct people straight to the source for answers

Nothing wrong with letting the potential client know that he misquoted and letting them know the actual price and deciding from there.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM

yeah don't take this family for $100 a week. You are really going to resent giving them a $200 discount per month. Thats $2400+ off for the whole year!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM

so say my DH was mistaken about my current rates, I currently charge $150 but since you work with my DH I will be willing to go a low as $125. That way they are still getting a deal.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare View Post
so say my DH was mistaken about my current rates, I currently charge $150 but since you work with my DH I will be willing to go a low as $125. That way they are still getting a deal.
That works!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

My husband stays completely out of the daycare loop. But if he did ever give the wrong quote, I would just let the family know that he was mistaken & tell them the correct rate. No biggie.

Tags
bad economy, husband, losing spots, rate decrease, vent