Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Accepting New Baby While Considering Closing?
therov 07:20 AM 01-27-2014
I have an ethical conundrum on the horizon:

I will have an infant opening coming up soon, but I will soon look for another job as well. My plan would have my daycare close 5-7 months after the new infant would begin.

My first responsibility is to my own family, so I'm committed to making a living while finding a new job. But I'm unclear whether there's an ethical responsibility not to take a new client if I'm pretty clear the time I'll remain open is short. I wouldn't be as uncertain if the opening is for an older child who has more opportunities for alternate care plans. With an infant that requires more of a bond with the provider--and in a region where quality openings for children under two are not abundant--I'm not sure if I'd be knowingly screwing over another family, or if that time frame is a reasonable one to offer care for an infant.

Your thoughts on this situation are greatly appreciated.
kathiemarie 07:37 AM 01-27-2014
I would pass on finding an infant for all of the reasons you stated. Sometimes doing what's right is hard but necessary.
jenboo 07:41 AM 01-27-2014
I would let the family know that you are closing in so many months and let them decide.
VTMom 07:43 AM 01-27-2014
I'd let them know too. Perhaps it could still work if they're in a pinch. It's not ideal, but it may give the family some wiggle room to find something, and will supply you with some income.

Good luck with your next phase!
blandino 07:44 AM 01-27-2014
I don't think you should avoid taking in a new client. I actually don't even think you need to mention it.

First of all, plans change. They just do, and don't short yourself because of the plans you have now.

Also, this is a business. A gym would take new members even if they had an idea they would be closing in 7 months. And if you turn the tables, plenty of DCP would look for childcare (even if they knew they would be moving/making alternate arrangements in 7 months.
Play Care 07:53 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
I don't think you should avoid taking in a new client. I actually don't even think you need to mention it.

First of all, plans change. They just do, and don't short yourself because of the plans you have now.

Also, this is a business. A gym would take new members even if they had an idea they would be closing in 7 months. And if you turn the tables, plenty of DCP would look for childcare (even if they knew they would be moving/making alternate arrangements in 7 months.

kathiemarie 08:03 AM 01-27-2014

Really? You are comparing oranges to apples. Gym memberships are easy to get Childcare for an infant is not. Its not like something came up and she had to close. She KNOWS she will be closing and taking a infant at that point is just wrong. I'm all for doing what is best for your family but we also have to responsibility to look out for our fellow man.

If she does take an infant, I like the pp of telling the families that she will be closing and letting the parents decide.
mountainside13 08:04 AM 01-27-2014

momofboys 08:34 AM 01-27-2014

Finding a new job can take a long time - I wouldn't short yourself out of income simply because you plan to seek other work. What if your search for a new job takes many months, which wouldn't be that unusual. Most people do not find a new job the minute they start searching. I see nothing wrong with taking on a new client. Plans change for parents & providers all the time.
momofboys 08:37 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
Really? You are comparing oranges to apples. Gym memberships are easy to get Childcare for an infant is not. Its not like something came up and she had to close. She KNOWS she will be closing and taking a infant at that point is just wrong. I'm all for doing what is best for your family but we also have to responsibility to look out for our fellow man.

If she does take an infant, I like the pp of telling the families that she will be closing and letting the parents decide.
She doesn't know she is closing - she said she was going to look for a new job - that could take a long time. She doesn't have a new job now. I'm sure the parents wouldn't think twice about dropping said provider if they took a new job that was now not close to provider. I believe the provider has to look out for her own family. Parents will do the same.
daycare 08:41 AM 01-27-2014
while it may be comparing apples to oranges, at the end of the day we can't make decisions based on emotions. We are running a business.

I agree, so much can change from now until then. If you want, let them know and let them make the call.

then again, you are saying now that this is the plan to close in 5-7 months. That is if you get a job you like and works for you.

I agree with blandino.......
SilverSabre25 08:53 AM 01-27-2014
Been there, done that, still doing daycare And still caring for the infant I took when I thought I would quit.

5-7 months is a long time, and a lot can happen. Take care of NOW, and deal with the future when it gets here.
Play Care 09:14 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:

She *may* be closing - and in that time the infant will be almost a one year old toddler. If she tells the parents (and I personally would never tell dcp's about "maybe" plans months in advance) she risks word getting out and losing current clients as well. All this over "maybe" plans.
Evansmom 10:00 AM 01-27-2014
I agree with the others who say go ahead an take the baby. Anything can happen between now and when you find a job so just keep on business as usual until you do have something concrete to tell clients.
My3cents 10:34 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by therov:
I have an ethical conundrum on the horizon:

I will have an infant opening coming up soon, but I will soon look for another job as well. My plan would have my daycare close 5-7 months after the new infant would begin.

My first responsibility is to my own family, so I'm committed to making a living while finding a new job. But I'm unclear whether there's an ethical responsibility not to take a new client if I'm pretty clear the time I'll remain open is short. I wouldn't be as uncertain if the opening is for an older child who has more opportunities for alternate care plans. With an infant that requires more of a bond with the provider--and in a region where quality openings for children under two are not abundant--I'm not sure if I'd be knowingly screwing over another family, or if that time frame is a reasonable one to offer care for an infant.

Your thoughts on this situation are greatly appreciated.
It can be hard to find infant care depending on where you live. One part of me wants to tell you to think about how you would feel as the client, but the other part is saying my family has to come first. If it was cut and dry and I knew I would be done on such and such a date, I would like to think that I would tell them I am closing on this date and let them decide if they want to continue on with me. I don't think I would want to do that to a family. An older child not a problem, a baby not so much. Everyone has such good points I would have to weigh it all in at the time and decide from there. best-
Crazy8 10:42 AM 01-27-2014
I've "considered" closing a few times in the last 13 years - if I didn't take on new clients when I was considering it I would have HAD to close. Like others said, you just never know what could happen in the future… you may not find the right job, you may decide you want to continue this for 1-2 more years. I would just take the new baby without mentioning any possible future plans. You also never know if a family will up and move or a parent will lose their job just 3-4 months after starting with you - none of those things are set in stone and I would just deal with them when they are certainties, not possibilities.
Laurel 10:48 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I've "considered" closing a few times in the last 13 years - if I didn't take on new clients when I was considering it I would have HAD to close. Like others said, you just never know what could happen in the future… you may not find the right job, you may decide you want to continue this for 1-2 more years. I would just take the new baby without mentioning any possible future plans. You also never know if a family will up and move or a parent will lose their job just 3-4 months after starting with you - none of those things are set in stone and I would just deal with them when they are certainties, not possibilities.

preschoolteacher 11:27 AM 01-27-2014
Do you have the job already lined up and 100% official? Or are you thinking/planning/hoping to get a new job in 5-7 months? It makes a big difference to me!

If it's not 100% set in stone that your new job will start on X date in 7 months, and if it's more of a maybe or a plan you have, then I WOULD take the infant.

When you enroll a daycare client, you are not promising to care for their child until forever. Who knows, maybe this infant would be one who wouldn't work for other reasons. There is never a guarantee that you will be able to provide care for any period of time; no one can predict the future.
nanglgrl 03:03 PM 01-27-2014
One thing to consider is there are a lot if providers like me who will not take an infant under 6 months old ( I'm petrified of SIDS). So you taken the child until they are an older infant might actually prove to be helpful because it might not be as hard to find care once the child is a little older.
Patches 03:16 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:428710:

Completely agree here. A lot can change in 7 months for you and the dcf. I would think differently if it was imply going to be a month or two, but 5-7 is a long time
Mike 07:49 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would let the family know that you are closing in so many months and let them decide.
Ditto
Let them know the exact time is uncertain and things could change but you are planning to close.
therov 06:42 AM 01-28-2014
Thanks for all of the replies! I don't yet have a job, but based on my research I am hopeful that I can find something in a six-month window. However, it sounds as though it's not unethical to bring on a new client in that period if I don't know with certainty the date that I will close. I will proceed with offering the infant opening.

I appreciate the advice and insight you all gave. Thanks again.
misslori50 09:57 AM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Been there, done that, still doing daycare And still caring for the infant I took when I thought I would quit.

5-7 months is a long time, and a lot can happen. Take care of NOW, and deal with the future when it gets here.
I completely agree with this. We will be moving to another state but we are not sure when. I have spots open and I will fill them if I can. Parents do not care and make changes to us all the time. Its a business and there are plenty of providers out there
originalkat 02:29 PM 01-28-2014
Originally Posted by misslori50:
I completely agree with this. We will be moving to another state but we are not sure when. I have spots open and I will fill them if I can. Parents do not care and make changes to us all the time. Its a business and there are plenty of providers out there
Yep, I agree.
Tags:business ethics, income - lost
Reply Up