Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Could Change 1 Thing
Josiegirl 12:59 PM 08-27-2016
any one thing about your day, what would you change??
Whether it's a training you wish was available. Creating more interesting centers(or like my place, any centers at all). Something you would love to incorporate into your program at some point. The way you organize things. Your schedule, how to handle transitions better. Creating a more interesting circle time.
Anything at all. Dream big or little, doesn't matter.

I definitely need to learn more about classroom management or group control. I'll have 5 kids, ages 2 1/2-4 1/2. I'd love to offer more of a tot learning atmosphere and routine but have no idea how to get from where we are to where I'd love them to be. And where we are is almost constant free play mode. Where I'd love them to be is following some sort of light schedule that includes a short circle time, a weekly theme using a letter of the alphabet each week, and having them listen better to me. I'd offer more to the 3's and 4's to develop their pre-writing and pre-math skills.
I need to find some sort of online training because our workshop schedule just arrived and I honestly found nothing I was interested in.

I also need to change my space around to create centers rather than having toys here and there.

So does anyone have things they're currently working on or would love to change within their environment or something you'd love to learn more about?
(I need inspiration)
Mike 03:10 PM 08-27-2016
If I could change any one thing about my day, I'd be doing my daycare now. I'm still in the preparation stage. By the looks of things, unless I get lucky, it'll be spring before I can start.
Controlled Chaos 06:03 PM 08-27-2016
I would love a little more space for maybe 1 or 2 more centers. I would love a separate science area and a small table for board games and puzzles that is separate from the other 2 tables I have. I think I want a space designed for 14 kids but only watch 7 I want a center level set up with fewer kids and way fewer hours Which is pretty close to what I have now...I just want another 50 square feet!
Baby Beluga 06:16 PM 08-27-2016
I'd like to have a separate area. Like a guest casita with a classroom, bathroom and small kitchen that is close to my home but has a separate entrance/exit. I am beginning to hate needing to have my house "show ready" all the time.

ETA: I have a dedicated classroom, but it is still in my house - not detached.
midaycare 07:09 PM 08-27-2016
A downstairs bathroom, since my daycare is downstairs on a separate, dedicated level, but has NO bathroom, so the potty trained ones have to go upstairs.
CityGarden 07:28 PM 08-27-2016
I would like a larger yard and a dedicated house on my property for the program.
Leigh 07:41 PM 08-27-2016
Cleaning. If I could do anything for my family and business, I swear it would be to have daily maid service. I just can't justify the cost right now.
Lil_Diddle 07:25 AM 08-28-2016
My husband is the greatest, and after 6 years of doing daycare he converted the walkout basement to be strictly the daycare. It's own kitchen, bathroom. The kids never have to come in to my living area again. I know that's not possible for everyone, but making the daycare a dedicated space separate from your living area is important. Also, it took a hit to the budget but I hired someone to come in and cook our lunches and clean up after. It was my most stressful time and these last two weeks it's so nice that I can focus on the kids and I'm not spending naptime washing dishes. I also made a deal with a longtime friend and parent that was looking for part time care. She comes in and helps me out a few hours on Tuesdays so I can run errands, make appointments, go have lunch with my oldest or just have a few hours of me time. In turn I watch her kid two days a week when my other part time kid is not here. Watching kids 50 hours a week, having my own 24/7. It is just a big burden off me that feel like I'm able to give the best of myself to the families and the kids
Leigh 09:59 AM 08-28-2016
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
My husband is the greatest, and after 6 years of doing daycare he converted the walkout basement to be strictly the daycare. It's own kitchen, bathroom. The kids never have to come in to my living area again. I know that's not possible for everyone, but making the daycare a dedicated space separate from your living area is important. Also, it took a hit to the budget but I hired someone to come in and cook our lunches and clean up after. It was my most stressful time and these last two weeks it's so nice that I can focus on the kids and I'm not spending naptime washing dishes. I also made a deal with a longtime friend and parent that was looking for part time care. She comes in and helps me out a few hours on Tuesdays so I can run errands, make appointments, go have lunch with my oldest or just have a few hours of me time. In turn I watch her kid two days a week when my other part time kid is not here. Watching kids 50 hours a week, having my own 24/7. It is just a big burden off me that feel like I'm able to give the best of myself to the families and the kids

I am planning to put a kitchen in my lower level this fall, and I am SO looking forward to not ever having kids upstairs again! I have been searching for a helper to come in a few hours a day, too-it's tough because everyone is looking for full time hours, but I'm hoping that with school starting, I'll find a SAHM who is looking for a few hours a day!
nanglgrl 10:35 AM 08-28-2016
One thing? That's hard. I will always wish I had more space even though my dedicated daycare space is a pretty good size. It would be nice to have a full on kitchen down there and it's doable but I don't think it's needed.
The one thing I would change if I could is it would be nice if the daycare could be in a detached structure on my property. I hate having to have the rest of my house, including drawers and closets, show room ready all of the time when I have a teenager, two young children and a very busy schedule at night. Or it would be nice if DHS didn't come in acted like we're all hiding something and want to search every nook and cranny.
permanentvacation 11:40 AM 08-28-2016
An entirely separate floor of my home completely dedicated only to daycare. It would include a kitchen (kitchenette is fine), clothes washer and dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, bathroom, my office, a teacher's supply room, and the daycare room. It would, of course, lead outside to the daycare's fenced yard which would be separate from my family's fenced yard. I know a daycare lady down the road from me who did all of that in her basement. I would love to have her set up!

That way, after work, I could go to my 'home' area and truly be able to leave my work environment. It would allow my family to feel like we actually live in a home rather than a daycare facility.
Mike 02:40 PM 08-28-2016
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
An entirely separate floor of my home completely dedicated only to daycare. It would include a kitchen (kitchenette is fine), clothes washer and dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, bathroom, my office, a teacher's supply room, and the daycare room. It would, of course, lead outside to the daycare's fenced yard which would be separate from my family's fenced yard. I know a daycare lady down the road from me who did all of that in her basement. I would love to have her set up!

That way, after work, I could go to my 'home' area and truly be able to leave my work environment. It would allow my family to feel like we actually live in a home rather than a daycare facility.
That's how I'd like to do it when I open up. I want to rent, or preferably rent to own, a bungalow with a full basement, and over time, turn the basement into a full daycare facility. The conversion won't be a big deal for me. I just need to find the right place for it. I also want a place that's just outside of a city, so I can have a nice size yard, but not be too far away for clients to drive.
Lil_Diddle 02:54 PM 08-28-2016
The person I have helping with lunch is a SAHM who just wants a few hours out of the house and a little extra $, you might consider someone that is retired as well. I have an older neighbor who loves seeing the kids.
Originally Posted by Leigh:

I am planning to put a kitchen in my lower level this fall, and I am SO looking forward to not ever having kids upstairs again! I have been searching for a helper to come in a few hours a day, too-it's tough because everyone is looking for full time hours, but I'm hoping that with school starting, I'll find a SAHM who is looking for a few hours a day!

childcaremom 02:31 AM 08-29-2016
1 thing?

I really would like to move out towards the country. I know it would probably be difficult to both get clients and then almost impossible to only get teacher clients. So if I could change one thing it would be that I had my dayhome out in the country where my nearest neighbours were all teachers requiring daycare .

More in line with do-ability, I wish that the daycare space was self-contained. Private entrance, kitchenette, bathroom, etc so that families/children were never in my private living area.
Pepperth 03:42 AM 08-29-2016
I'd find an amazing assistant and be able to attend all of my son's school functions without finagling my entire schedule to do so.

And an unlimited book budget.
DaveA 07:20 AM 08-29-2016
Build a dedicated daycare space on the other side of the garage so it was completely separate from the rest from the rest of the house.
Mad_Pistachio 07:44 AM 08-29-2016
I wish our daycare could take children on field trips (well, the older ones, anyway). Library, science center, children's museums - all that stuff. And I know they don't do it not because they don't want to, but because SO MUCH liability goes into taking a group of someone else's children somewhere...
I guess I wish their hands weren't as tied.
Baby Beluga 08:25 AM 08-29-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I wish our daycare could take children on field trips (well, the older ones, anyway). Library, science center, children's museums - all that stuff. And I know they don't do it not because they don't want to, but because SO MUCH liability goes into taking a group of someone else's children somewhere...
I guess I wish their hands weren't as tied.
This is a tough one. I would LOVE to take my group on outings. We have a local library that has wonderful children's events each day. And lovely parks and splash pads - all within walking distance. It would be so much fun to participate in outings, but yes the liability often isn't worth it.
Annalee 09:36 AM 08-29-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
any one thing about your day, what would you change??
Whether it's a training you wish was available. Creating more interesting centers(or like my place, any centers at all). Something you would love to incorporate into your program at some point. The way you organize things. Your schedule, how to handle transitions better. Creating a more interesting circle time.
Anything at all. Dream big or little, doesn't matter.

I definitely need to learn more about classroom management or group control. I'll have 5 kids, ages 2 1/2-4 1/2. I'd love to offer more of a tot learning atmosphere and routine but have no idea how to get from where we are to where I'd love them to be. And where we are is almost constant free play mode. Where I'd love them to be is following some sort of light schedule that includes a short circle time, a weekly theme using a letter of the alphabet each week, and having them listen better to me. I'd offer more to the 3's and 4's to develop their pre-writing and pre-math skills.
I need to find some sort of online training because our workshop schedule just arrived and I honestly found nothing I was interested in.

I also need to change my space around to create centers rather than having toys here and there.

So does anyone have things they're currently working on or would love to change within their environment or something you'd love to learn more about?
(I need inspiration)
Well, I think I would like to simply QUIT!!!!! Kinda just kidding! A while back, My sons were looking at some old pics when they were in daycare here (10 plus years ago) and the youngest said "mom, it used to be fun here" That got me to thinking! They were in child care BEFORE the state mandates come in....so I guess if I could change one thing, it would be some freedom to bring THAT FUN back!
Cat Herder 10:59 AM 08-29-2016
A wrap around deck, ramped, gated and covered that extends to the playground. No stairs. With activity boards (ball ramps, paint/chalk easels, etc), outcroppings for play kitchens/workshops and tunnel sections. Actually making it a part of the play environment.

Obviously it would have to be a magically bubble wrapped kiddy encasement to meet regs. Rubber is not environmentally friendly or renewable. Plastic will dry rot and get too hot in the sun. Maybe it could be made of unicorn-hyde so no kid will have issues with splinters, allergies to wood stain, it would also be free of politically charged anti-logging discord. Of course PETA would protest me... . Hmmm.... this is going to have to be be a work in progress.

Really I would settle for a #@$%^%$# playground. I have spent well over $8,000 for an amazing museum to fun out in the woods behind my barn. Each piece pre-approved by licensing, only to be deemed against regs later. We are down to mulch, balls and a chalk board. I am waiting for the letter stating the chalk can cause allergies, the mulch can encourage mold/bugs and the balls will cause TBI.

Eh, I am too annoyed at what more "I" can do to have a little fun with these kids. They just want to climb, throw, run, splatter, splash and laugh. It used to be fun around here.
Miss A 12:55 PM 08-29-2016
A completely separate, fully functioning daycare area. Where I can have a bathroom, playroom, kitchenette, and nap room all set up all the time, that does not take over my living room, and guest bedrooms.
Josiegirl 02:30 PM 08-29-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
A wrap around deck, ramped, gated and covered that extends to the playground. No stairs. With activity boards (ball ramps, paint/chalk easels, etc), outcroppings for play kitchens/workshops and tunnel sections. Actually making it a part of the play environment.

Obviously it would have to be a magically bubble wrapped kiddy encasement to meet regs. Rubber is not environmentally friendly or renewable. Plastic will dry rot and get too hot in the sun. Maybe it could be made of unicorn-hyde so no kid will have issues with splinters, allergies to wood stain, it would also be free of politically charged anti-logging discord. Of course PETA would protest me... . Hmmm.... this is going to have to be be a work in progress.

Really I would settle for a #@$%^%$# playground. I have spent well over $8,000 for an amazing museum to fun out in the woods behind my barn. Each piece pre-approved by licensing, only to be deemed against regs later. We are down to mulch, balls and a chalk board. I am waiting for the letter stating the chalk can cause allergies, the mulch can encourage mold/bugs and the balls will cause TBI.

Eh, I am too annoyed at what more "I" can do to have a little fun with these kids. They just want to climb, throw, run, splatter, splash and laugh. It used to be fun around here.
OMG after such an investment, I think I'd appeal that or something!!! How sad that the kids are losing out big-time due to power hungry officials who probably don't know what kids would love anyways, just have to drum up every single friggin' thing that could possibly happen but wouldn't in a hundred years.
Cat Herder 03:09 PM 08-29-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
OMG after such an investment, I think I'd appeal that or something!!! How sad that the kids are losing out big-time due to power hungry officials who probably don't know what kids would love anyways, just have to drum up every single friggin' thing that could possibly happen but wouldn't in a hundred years.
Fighting just makes local enemies, something I can't afford until my kids finish college.

Then there is this:

"Examples of children using equipment in an unsafe and inappropriate manner would be, but not limited to, a child climbing up the slide instead of using the ladder, a child swinging on a swing on his stomach, etc."

The entire time is spent policing instead of letting them play so as not to get cited for allowing unsafe play.

"Playgrounds should be clean and protect
children from potential injury. The playground should
be free of hazards including but not limited to the following:

* Trip hazards
* Uneven turf
* Exposed bricks/cinder blocks
* Exposed concrete edges
* Slippery areas
* Exposed tree roots/rocks
* Tall grass
* Potholes "

In a rural, mountain, neighborhood. Yeah, tell mother nature to knock it off. Oh, and stepping stones to keep them off the slippery/muddy areas between the porch and playground is against regs, too. Good luck with that.

"The fence/barrier should be constructed of solid, sturdy material such as chain link or smooth wood, and should be four feet high in all areas. All fences should be maintained in good condition with no gaps, loose wires, exposed sharp prongs, etc"

Awesome! I got a rocking 4 foot fence installed, covered it in professional wind netting to prevent climbing and mounted painting easels for a touch of fun. Game on, right

"At least six inches or more of resilient surface is recommended for equipment five feet or greater in height and at least three inches of resilient surface is recommended for equipment less than five feet in height."

Sorry, once you add the mulch in your fenced in area it no longer meets regs. 4 foot is measured from the TOP of the mulch making it 6 inches too short. Adding smaller landscape timber areas around specific equipment, to leave a gap between the fence and mulch, will create a tripping/fall hazard and lower your space requirement per child. Climbing equipment has to go.

It really is frustrating.
Reply Up