Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Issues with a SA Child
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:07 AM 03-04-2013
Ok so this dcb and his sister have been with me for 2 yrs now. He is going on 7 and is in grade 1. His sister is going on 5 soon and goes to pre k.

He has become bored, and will pick fights with anyone who will give him the time of day, which is usually my own son.

My own son ends up with fat lips and broken glasses and then he gets mad and fights back. My son usually gets blamed for everything and DCB yells at me saying I didnt do anything, even though I just saw him do this.

DC parents know whats going on, they always tell him to stop it and listen to me or he can sit at my table until home time. They never offer to pay for the broken glasses.

If my son doesnt feel like playing with the kids, he has permission to go play elsewhere and even outside with the boy nextdoor who also turns out to be friends with DCB. DCB feels that this is unfair and I think his parents feel the same. But it's winter time and I have 2 small babies that cant sit outside.

DCB has started mentioning to me that he cant belive that I "got rid" of 2 dcks that were brother and sister. I told him that it was a long time ago and to not worry about it. It was in July. Its getting to the point that I have told him to mind his business and to get over it.

Im am thinking about changing the ages that I take now, so how do I mention this to the parents.
Play Care 10:26 AM 03-04-2013
I think you need to let the parents know that the boy needs to be in school aged care and that your last day will be Friday. Normally I'm all for giving a two week notice but this is nuts Physical altercations? Fat lips and broken glasses? Not in my house.
rmc20021 10:31 AM 03-04-2013
Tell them you are geared more towards preschoolers and have decided you are going to stick to just caring for preschool age children. I have done that before and plan on doing it again before school gets out in the summer.

I did daycare years ago, and that was when I had told parents the other time. I have recently opened back up and accepted a sib of two with one school age in order to fill my spots. The other sib starts school in the fall, but I don't want to deal with having to 'entertain' SA kids during the summer months.
allsmiles 10:33 AM 03-04-2013
i feel your pain.. sometimes i feel like terming my one and only sa.. she is not aggresive..its just hard to keep her entertained when the others are sooo much younger than her.. i have puzzles, and arts and crafts but she is at the age where she is not really into that.. i feel bad
then i have the nerve to be advertising for spring break LOL
but i cant say no to the possible income.. i hope the weather will be nice.. they can stay outside all day LOL
daycarediva 10:44 AM 03-04-2013
Does your state allow you to have him unsupervised at any time?(ours allows 15 minutes with physical checks indoors or out with a permission slip) Is your yard fenced? I allow the SA kids to go outside after they come in, finish homework and eat snack. The neighborhood kids come over on occassion as well, and all play nicely in the backyard together.

The littles have to stay indoors, so it gives the SA kids time alone.

If you can't do that,can you set up a separate sa area? I have legos, board games, cards, electronic games (flash pad), a Nintendo DS, and lots of big kid toys. The kids can pick ANYTHING from that closet as long as it doesn't cross the line between my formal dining room area and the daycare room. Works well for me.

That being said, I would address the issue of hitting as a separate issue. My kids get bored, they don't give each other fat lips! I would tell the parents that regardless, he should be in control of himself at that age and allow him 3 incidents only before he is terminated without notice.
Reply Up