Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Else Have A Problem With Kids Moving Furniture Around?
AfterSchoolMom 01:20 PM 03-18-2013
And am I the only person who likes things to stay where I put them? Is that unrealistic in the daycare world?

My SA's are constantly moving the furniture. They'll move the coffee tables, they'll scoot the recliner across the room or turn it around, and the kitchen barstools often end up in other rooms...it drive me NUTS.

If it's a rainy day and they want to clear some space to play, I have no problem with that at all. If they ask first, and I'll do it for them. The problem comes when they just take it upon themselves to rearrange.

Is it wrong that I find this disrespectful?
youretooloud 01:39 PM 03-18-2013
YES! It's wrong! What are they thinking? If they have that much energy, they can wipe down all the baseboards in your house... otherwise they can find something acceptable and constructive to do.

I guess if they were just moving the coffee table an inch or so to make it easier for them to do homework there, I could understand it, but if it's just to move heavy stuff around, I think it's time for them to have jobs around the house.
crazydaycarelady 04:00 PM 03-18-2013
OMG YES!!!! I have this problem too. Not so much with furniture since I only have one large cushy chair in my dc room, but with smaller items like the exersaucer, little slide, small chairs. The move them all over and make barriers and then I cannot get through. It drives me insane! I even tried to Velcro some things to the floor but that was unsuccessful!
NeedaVaca 05:02 PM 03-18-2013
I don't care for SA but I do have a 9 DD and when her friends come over it's the 1st thing they do! I don't mind as long as they put everything back but no way could I let them do that during daycare hours...
Starburst 07:20 PM 03-18-2013
I am very OCD about some things so it probably would bug me, espesually if they didn't ask. Depending on the size and type of furnature I think it is a liablity for them to be moving furniture around (they could stub their toe/fingers or accidently scratch the walls/ the furniture or break it) and if its on hardwood/tile there is the posibility of scratches on the floor. I personally would make it a rule that they cannot move the furnature (exept chairs for sitting purposes) and if needed they would have to ask and I would do it for them (or tell them no if I don't want it changed).
Meyou 03:05 AM 03-19-2013
I work very, very hard to teach them to not move furniture. It drives me bananas. They also like to shift my living room rug so it's slides under their feet. Grrrr!
Play Care 03:30 AM 03-19-2013
I don't allow it, period. And S.A. kids who are not listening/following the rules can do chores or sit at the table for a while while they think about why they need to listen/follow directions...But I'm mean like that. I offer a lot of things for school agers to do and direct them to those things. Like another poster said, it can be a liabilty especially if one of them gets hurt or they hurt another child (especially one of the littles who are too busy hero worshipping the bigs to pay attention to the fact a couch is coming their way )
I always tell them they can move furniture/wrestle/watch tv, etc. when they get home
LK5kids 07:04 AM 03-19-2013
What the??? They move your furniture...oh, I'd hate tha!
allsmiles 09:51 AM 03-19-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't allow it, period. And S.A. kids who are not listening/following the rules can do chores or sit at the table for a while while they think about why they need to listen/follow directions...But I'm mean like that. I offer a lot of things for school agers to do and direct them to those things. Like another poster said, it can be a liabilty especially if one of them gets hurt or they hurt another child (especially one of the littles who are too busy hero worshipping the bigs to pay attention to the fact a couch is coming their way )
I always tell them they can move furniture/wrestle/watch tv, etc. when they get home
im a bit mean as well.. daycare stuff is for the kids, my stuff is NOT..the big kids get it and the little ones that dont quite get redirected enough to where they will only if they wanna test me LOL
AfterSchoolMom 06:22 PM 03-19-2013
I'm really glad that I'm not alone on this! Now, if I could just get them to knock it the heck off....I really like the idea of chores. I could kill two birds with one stone, getting things done AND getting them to remember not to move stuff around.
Tags:boundries, furniture, set up
Reply Up