Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Controlled fever is not the same as NO fever
Sunchimes 07:51 PM 04-04-2015
Because I have medically fragile kids, I rarely have to deal with parents sending sick kids anymore. They know my husband has serious medical issues, one of the kids is fragile, and we all work together for the good of all.

Enter new family with a typical kid. New kid "gets sick usually once a year in the fall, the rest of the year, she's great." So far, she's missed more days than my fragile kid.

Mom called last week to say dcg was running a fever-she felt fine but kept spiking fevers. Could she come? NO!

The part that got me was that mom kept saying, "She gets a fever, but as soon as she takes Motrin, it goes away." How many ways can I say "Mom, if she has a fever, she is more than likely incubating something. Even if you control the fever, the bug is still in there waiting to leap on one of my babies." I've said it every way I can think of, and she still keeps saying it. She's obeying it and keeping her home, but she is not happy with me. As it turned out, she had yet another (2nd this month) ear infection and the beginnings of strep. Backbone, I's got it!
spedmommy4 08:10 PM 04-04-2015

Everyone needs to do this. I consulted to centers a lot when I worked for the school district and saw sick kiddos constantly. At a very small co op I consulted to a few years ago, the staff let a child come sick. Within two weeks, 80% of the kids got whooping cough. (Vaccinated and unvaccinated kids got it) Enforcing your sick policies is so important!
daycare 09:44 PM 04-04-2015
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Because I have medically fragile kids, I rarely have to deal with parents sending sick kids anymore. They know my husband has serious medical issues, one of the kids is fragile, and we all work together for the good of all.

Enter new family with a typical kid. New kid "gets sick usually once a year in the fall, the rest of the year, she's great." So far, she's missed more days than my fragile kid.

Mom called last week to say dcg was running a fever-she felt fine but kept spiking fevers. Could she come? NO!

The part that got me was that mom kept saying, "She gets a fever, but as soon as she takes Motrin, it goes away." How many ways can I say "Mom, if she has a fever, she is more than likely incubating something. Even if you control the fever, the bug is still in there waiting to leap on one of my babies." I've said it every way I can think of, and she still keeps saying it. She's obeying it and keeping her home, but she is not happy with me. As it turned out, she had yet another (2nd this month) ear infection and the beginnings of strep. Backbone, I's got it!
fever must break naturally without the aid of medication for a full 24 hours. If your child needs medication to control or reduce their fever they may not return. Your child must be free of fever with out the aid of any form of medication before they can return.

Trust me I feel for you, I had this same issue earlier this year and just wanted to bang my head on the wall...ugh.
Unregistered 08:40 AM 04-05-2015
My dcm did the same thing about a month ago and she just seemed clueless to the fact that medicating a fever does not make the actual sickness go away. It is temporary relief and I also had to remind her that I do not accept kids who are medicated prior to arrival. If they need meds to feel "normal", they are not allowed to come. (and if I find out they medicated before arriving without my knowledge, I terminate, no exceptions. Honesty goes a long way in my book!)
finsup 09:12 AM 04-05-2015
Ugh. I have had to explain this so many times. I'm not sure how much clearer then "if they need meds, they need to be home" I can make it. I don't know if parents really ARE that clueless or they want to appear that way so they can try to send their sick child. Glad they aren't sending the child at least!
Reply Up