Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Don't Think They Are Really Coming
Shell 08:26 AM 05-02-2014
So I had a new baby start transitioning last month. Dcm is great , but she clearly doesn't want to part with her baby. She started transitioning him with 2 hour shifts, and yesterday was 6 hours. She is returning to work in two weeks. This is way more of a transition that I have ever done, but they are a referral and a nice couple. Dcm dropped off yesterday in tears - saying she doesn't want to leave him , tried to get her husband to let her leave her job, etc . Dcd wants her to go back to work, and says dcm will be fine once he comes full time. It takes dcm days to respond to my emails and texts, and I get the feeling she might just become a sahm . I wouldn't blame her, this is the same reason I started my daycare. But , how do I get a commitment? I have another interested family , and don't have time to spare. I also wouldn't really mind if they don't come, I can take a 2 yr old that would be a better fit by age . Thanks .
Maria2013 08:36 AM 05-02-2014
I would call her and explain to her very politely that although I understand how she feels, I need a commitment or I'll have to offer the spot to the next family
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
So I had a new baby start transitioning last month. Dcm is great , but she clearly doesn't want to part with her baby. She started transitioning him with 2 hour shifts, and yesterday was 6 hours. She is returning to work in two weeks. This is way more of a transition that I have ever done, but they are a referral and a nice couple. Dcm dropped off yesterday in tears - saying she doesn't want to leave him , tried to get her husband to let her leave her job, etc . Dcd wants her to go back to work, and says dcm will be fine once he comes full time. It takes dcm days to respond to my emails and texts, and I get the feeling she might just become a sahm . I wouldn't blame her, this is the same reason I started my daycare. But , how do I get a commitment? I have another interested family , and don't have time to spare. I also wouldn't really mind if they don't come, I can take a 2 yr old that would be a better fit by age . Thanks .
Personally I would straight up ask them.

Tell them you understand how hard leaving your child is but you NEED to know their plan.

I would not e-mail her but would call her. Tell her you need a deposit AND the first two weeks care paid in full if she wants the space.

If she doesn't or hims and haws about, then fill it with the other family.

I am not trying to sound cold or unfeeling but you can't sit around and wait for new parents to adjust to this situation as this is your income.

Just straight up tell her you need a commitment or you're out.

It's not personal it's business.
Shell 11:00 AM 05-02-2014
Thanks for the great advice!
Heidi 11:02 AM 05-02-2014
Knowing what you know, I'd probably ask DCM something like "Hey, do you need me to TELL you I can't take him after all?"

Sisterhood...
Shell 11:56 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Knowing what you know, I'd probably ask DCM something like "Hey, do you need me to TELL you I can't take him after all?"

Sisterhood...
Yes! I was thinking this, too.
Reply Up