Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My 20 Month Old+ Year Old
cara041083 09:34 AM 05-12-2015
I would say for about the last month, My 20 month old is biting. She is biting everyone including the DCK's. I have tried just about everything but nothing is working. I am to the point where I make sure she is with me so I can stop it before it happens, but that is not practical. I always make sure everyone is in my sight, but with 3 kids potty training, and all the other activities we do I can't only focus on preventing her from biting. Any tips would be great!
Blackcat31 10:01 AM 05-12-2015
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I would say for about the last month, My 20 month old is biting. She is biting everyone including the DCK's. I have tried just about everything but nothing is working. I am to the point where I make sure she is with me so I can stop it before it happens, but that is not practical. I always make sure everyone is in my sight, but with 3 kids potty training, and all the other activities we do I can't only focus on preventing her from biting. Any tips would be great!
I'm sorry you are dealing with this but unfortunately whether its practical or not, you HAVE to keep your eyes on her 24/7 so that she doesn't bite. She will need to be your shadow or separated when you are not able to be right next to her.

You can use verbal reminders and stuff to help her remember no biting and to use her words but in order to maintain a safe environment for the other kids, you are simply going to have to wait this storm out until she understands not to bite.

Google strategies to deal with biting and most give the same tips, tricks and ideas but bottom line is that while it's not acceptable or normal, it is common for kids your DD's age. Its rooted in impulse control and lack of communication skills so until those issues are "fixed" or accommodated, she will more than likely be a biter.

I am sorry that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear but biting is tough to deal with and even tougher when it's your own child. Hang in there and know that it will pass. How quickly or slowly is dependent on a lot of things but it WILL pass.
kitykids3 05:46 PM 05-12-2015
I have a 17 month old right now that is the same way. There is no other choice than to make her my shadow or I put her in the gated baby room by herself to play if I am not right next to her. Unfortunately you've got to do that until this stage passes, which it will. Some quicker than others. If it's communication, perhaps try teaching her some simple baby signs to express things she wants/needs which might help lessen frustration and reduce biting. If it's because of teething, give her a teether and tell her she can chew on that. Show her alternatives. Those things might help shorten this phase for her, and in the meantime you do have to shadow or be able to separate her from the other kids so the other kids are safe.
Reply Up