Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Giving Unpaid Vacation Time....
Holiday Park 12:40 PM 11-21-2012
Sorry another question about vacation/holiday stuff lol . I've been reading as much as I can , now that I am creating a new handbook for next year .

SO I want to give 10 sick days next year as an incentive, to keep sick kids home! Yes, I will still have regular strict illness policy rules too. I will already have a thing saying that if I get 3 months+ notice, of a vacation week, I'll charge nothing. Still deciding if I want to charge 1/2 weekly rate for shorter notification of a vacation. But as for 10 free sick days, I don't want them taking them all at once. Can you give me some ideas of stipulations like X amount of days can be used at once, at a time? I don't think it's fair to require any notice for a free sick day because those will likely happen unexpectedly. I will not refund,only give credit by pro-rating the following week, instead .
So how should I word a restriction on taking them all at once ? What do you think ? Or do you think I'm really giving away too much ? I want to be able to take 2-3 weeks a year unpaid,when my kids are out of school,that's why. And wanted to give something back in return, for having to take off so much,and also for charging them whether or not they come (if no 3month notice is given).
I do try to be as professional as possible,and I'm getting better about having a backbone. But I'm also not only caring for just 2 at a time, (sometimes 3,but if different schedules) but I'm not doing this for survival. My husband is the breadwinner,and I'm working to mainly help put food on the table and just pay down on some debts. So I'm trying to have a little more flexibility as one of my selling points (while still being firm on my policies) . It sure is a balancing act, isn't it . Trying to figure out what's fair,and what works for me.
Scout 12:59 PM 11-21-2012
Free days:
Each family will be awarded with 10 free days per year to use as sick days. These may be taken at any time with no more than 3 days taken at one time. These are to ensure the health of all kids in attendence. Please use your best judgement when bringing your sick child here. All illness policy rules still apply.

Vacation time:
Any family that gives 12 plus weeks notice of an upcoming vacation will receive that week off free of charge.

Any family that gives 10 weeks notice of vacation will receive that week off at 1/2 their normal rate.

Don't know if that helps you but, I hope it does! 3 days is pretty standard for big illnesses IME with my ds. Stuff like hand, foot, mouth, croup, bronchiolitis. I dont recall ever missong more than 3 days with hom sick!
Scout 01:00 PM 11-21-2012
Dont know how frown face got there! Oops, not frowning on your post!
Country Kids 01:01 PM 11-21-2012
10 might be a little to much- I used to give only like 4 or 5 and if they took them all at once well, they were out then for the rest of the year. It really made them decide if the kids were sick or not. What I mean by that is they weren't using their sick days to have grandma watch them (being well) and also not having to pay for childcare.

I would get them sick then because they used up all their free days for well kids. So giving them 10 days is like giving them an extra 2 weeks of vacation they don't have to pay you.
littlemissmuffet 05:33 PM 11-21-2012
I don't give free sick time - I personally don't feel that it would really help parents to keep sick kids home. I think all it would help with is giving parents a free day when the kid is with grandma or so the family can have a long weekend, etc.

The way I curb bringing sick kids is sending them home as soon as I realize a child is sick and keeping them out for 24 hours. If the child comes back and is still sick or mysteriously (doped up) becomes sick again after 24 hours, they are out for 48 hours! So if a kid gets sick around 2pm on Monday, they are out all Tuesday - if the kid comes back on Wednesday and gets sick again they are out all Thursday and Friday... so they miss a whole week and PAY FOR IT! Parents don't bring me sick kids or doped up kids

I don't agree when providers say/think that they need to give free care in order to justify taking their own time (paid or not) off. I have successfully run my daycare for years without giving free/discounted days to parents for any reason and I take an average of 35 paid closed days per year! I am always at full capacity and have a huge waiting list. I have great families who never complain about my policies...

If you still insist on giving free sick time - I would cut it down to maybe 5 instead to help prevent abusing the free time, and I wouldn't put a cap on how many of those 5 could be used at once (once they're gone they are gone)! I would also mention that these sick days cannot be used during holidays (if you are charging for them) and they cannot use these sick days during their final two week notice (if you have one). I would also require that a family be with me for a minimum of 6 months before they were entitled to the sick days.
Holiday Park 08:34 AM 11-22-2012
" Please use your best judgement when bringing your sick child here. " I can't say that,because sick kids are not going to be allowed here at all, other than a very minor cold lasting only a few days.

"I would cut it down to maybe 5 instead to help prevent abusing the free time, and I wouldn't put a cap on how many of those 5 could be used at once (once they're gone they are gone)! I would also mention that these sick days cannot be used during holidays (if you are charging for them) and they cannot use these sick days during their final two week notice (if you have one). I would also require that a family be with me for a minimum of 6 months before they were entitled to the sick days." I like this idea. Thanks !

I could offer 5 more days, but only if I see a Dr note, proving the child was out due to a real illness (crediting them for the next payment due) .
littlemissmuffet 10:52 AM 11-22-2012
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
[color="Blue"]

I could offer 5 more days, but only if I see a Dr note, proving the child was out due to a real illness (crediting them for the next payment due) .
That's a really great idea if you are set on offering the full 10 days.
Reply Up