Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Help!
mountainside13 10:11 AM 01-07-2015
I need help! We purchased a home in April and moved everything over to the house right away. The other place we had to pay rent, electricity, water and trash when we weren't living there because the lease wasn't over yet. Do I claim both places for the electricity, water and trash? then both mortgage and rent since they over lapped? There was no daycare kids there after we moved but since we used the utilities to clean up after they were gone. I'm not sure!
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
I need help! We purchased a home in April and moved everything over to the house right away. The other place we had to pay rent, electricity, water and trash when we weren't living there because the lease wasn't over yet. Do I claim both places for the electricity, water and trash? then both mortgage and rent since they over lapped? There was no daycare kids there after we moved but since we used the utilities to clean up after they were gone. I'm not sure!
I don't think you can claim anything at the rental home if there were no kids present. Not 100% sure though...

Here is a quote from Tom Copeland expanding on this:

Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
If you used two homes for your business in 2014, here's an article that explains how to calculate the expenses for each home: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...-one-year.html

If you only started doing child care in April, here's an article to tell you how to claim house expenses when you weren't in business for a full year: http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2012/...tire-year.html

mountainside13 11:16 AM 01-07-2015
Thank you! I didn't find anything on the expenses so I called our tax preparer. She said that I claim it, I called a different place to just confirm before I do all the work and he said I dont. Ahhh, so confusing! I have given up for now.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Thank you! I didn't find anything on the expenses so I called our tax preparer. She said that I claim it, I called a different place to just confirm before I do all the work and he said I dont. Ahhh, so confusing! I have given up for now.
Contact Tom Copeland directly via e-mail or calling. I've heard from lots of providers that is SUPER reachable and VERY helpful!

Its worth a shot...

651-280-5991
[email protected]
TomCopeland 02:11 PM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Contact Tom Copeland directly via e-mail or calling. I've heard from lots of providers that is SUPER reachable and VERY helpful!

Its worth a shot...

651-280-5991
[email protected]
True - contact me for help....
Reply Up