Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Exclusion for RSV?
Msdunny 09:04 AM 01-10-2020
The baby I mentioned in yesterday’s post (Mom wanted me to let her sleep in a rock and play, brings her girls sick often) was diagnosed today with RSV. I sent her home yesterday because she was so miserable, and mom said she was running a fever when they got home. she was one of the sickest babies I have ever been around.

She was diagnosed today (Friday). Would you exclude her on Monday? I am going to do some research today, but thought some of you may already have a policy in place for it I could consider.
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
The baby I mentioned in yesterday’s post (Mom wanted me to let her sleep in a rock and play, brings her girls sick often) was diagnosed today with RSV. I sent her home yesterday because she was so miserable, and mom said she was running a fever when they got home. she was one of the sickest babies I have ever been around.

She was diagnosed today (Friday). Would you exclude her on Monday? I am going to do some research today, but thought some of you may already have a policy in place for it I could consider.
Personally given the danger involved with infants and RSV, I'd exclude until she was 100% better. Not 75% or even 90% but 100% better.

Too risky and not something I would want to monitor in an infant. Especially one in which you don't know if the parent is or isn't drugging before drop off.
Cat Herder 09:34 AM 01-10-2020
Here is a free childcare exclusion chart to print/download. https://www.in.gov/fssa/files/Commun...art%202017.pdf

RSV (Respiratory Syncytial Virus)

Disease & incubation
1-10 days

Signs/symptoms
Fever, runny nose, cough, and sometimes wheezing. May exhibit rapid or labored breathing with cyanotic (blue) episodes.

How transmitted
The virus spread from resp. secretion (sneezing, coughing) through close contact with infected persons or contaminated surfaces or objects.

When communicable
Just prior to symptoms and when febrile Exclude only if condition interferes with participation (rapid or labored breathing, or cyanotic episodes) or care of others.

Frequent and proper handwashing, sanitize all contaminated articles. Do not share items such as cups, glasses and utensils. Proper disposal of tissue when used for nasal and respiratory secretions.

I personally exclude for 24 after fever and symptom-free, a minimum of 48 hours if I sent home. Fever/symptom free plus 24 hours.
Msdunny 03:44 PM 01-10-2020
I emailed mom, asking her to keep the baby and sister home next week. I told her I would not charge for the week. Told her I was concerned for other babies. She responded that I was putting her in a tough position, which I understand. I responded that she was putting me in a tough position by asking me to expose my other dcks to such a rough virus. It would be different if I could trust her to be honest with me concerning fevers and other symptoms, but they use too many over the counter cover-up medicines.

My husband is calling for their 2 week notice! He was so mad when that sick baby was dropped of Thursday morning.
Blackcat31 04:19 PM 01-10-2020
I emailed mom, asking her to keep the baby and sister home next week. I told her I would not charge for the week. Told her I was concerned for other babies. She responded that I was putting her in a tough position, which I understand. I responded that she was putting me in a tough position by asking me to expose my other dcks to such a rough virus. It would be different if I could trust her to be honest with me concerning fevers and other symptoms, but they use too many over the counter cover-up medicines.

My husband is calling for their 2 week notice! He was so mad when that sick baby was dropped of Thursday morning.
YOU aren’t putting mom in a tough spot

If mom had reliable back like she is suppose to have then she wouldn’t be in a tough spot.

Parents are tough to manage sometimes
Ariana 08:39 AM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
YOU aren’t putting mom in a tough spot

If mom had reliable back like she is suppose to have then she wouldn’t be in a tough spot.

Parents are tough to manage sometimes
Exactly! This mom has a family. Managing her family is HER problem, not yours. She has put HERSELF in a tight spot by assuming daycares will care for her sick kids and not having reliable backup.

Love the try hard guilt trip though don’t you? It’s YOUR fault, you solve my problem
Msdunny 09:01 AM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Exactly! This mom has a family. Managing her family is HER problem, not yours. She has put HERSELF in a tight spot by assuming daycares will care for her sick kids and not having reliable backup.

Love the try hard guilt trip though don’t you? It’s YOUR fault, you solve my problem
Oh definitely! She did not like my reply that she was putting ME in a tough spot by exposing my other kids to such an aggressive virus. The only reply I got from her was the thumbs up emoji. My dh said to double check to make sure it was the thumb and not middle finger.

I just saw on Facebook that the baby is now in the hospital. Mom doesn't know that I know (I saw the post because a mutual friend commented), so I am curious to see if she tells me.

I am tightening my illness policy (again!) and really just considered that this family also forgets the epipen for the older sis, who has a nut and egg allergy. So I am adding a paragragh excluding for not having life saving medications on hand,and have added a statement saying I reserve the right to exclude for an amount of time that I determine warranted based on the virus. I am seriously going to have the tightest, most descriptive illness policy in town, simply based on everything I have to add FOR THIS ONE FAMILY!
Ariana 06:21 AM 01-13-2020
Oh definitely! She did not like my reply that she was putting ME in a tough spot by exposing my other kids to such an aggressive virus. The only reply I got from her was the thumbs up emoji. My dh said to double check to make sure it was the thumb and not middle finger.

I just saw on Facebook that the baby is now in the hospital. Mom doesn't know that I know (I saw the post because a mutual friend commented), so I am curious to see if she tells me.

I am tightening my illness policy (again!) and really just considered that this family also forgets the epipen for the older sis, who has a nut and egg allergy. So I am adding a paragragh excluding for not having life saving medications on hand,and have added a statement saying I reserve the right to exclude for an amount of time that I determine warranted based on the virus. I am seriously going to have the tightest, most descriptive illness policy in town, simply based on everything I have to add FOR THIS ONE FAMILY!
YES!! I have a 12 page contract with a two page illness policy and I still have to continuously add to it. Common sense is in rare supply these days.
Tags:24/48 rule, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy - samples, rsv
Reply Up