Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Subsidy Question
CountryRoads 04:08 PM 01-20-2020
I feel like this is a stupid question and I've tried calling the DFS office several times with no one answering, so thought I'd come here!

Does the state pay their portion when the child is not in care? I assume no? So, the parent is responsible for the entire days rate when their child is absent?
Blackcat31 04:13 PM 01-20-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I feel like this is a stupid question and I've tried calling the DFS office several times with no one answering, so thought I'd come here!

Does the state pay their portion when the child is not in care? I assume no? So, the parent is responsible for the entire days rate when their child is absent?
In my state the assistance program pays only their max rate and the parent pays the difference regardless of attendance

My state allows 25 absent days per year
CountryRoads 04:20 PM 01-20-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In my state the assistance program pays only their max rate and the parent pays the difference regardless of attendance

My state allows 25 absent days per year
The back of the form I need to fill out every month said the state will only cover if the parent is at school or working - so I totally assumed!

Thank you! I'll try calling them again tomorrow!

Oh, and I'm required to put their time in and out on the form. Do you need to do that, too? If my state allows absences, how would I fill in the hours if they were absent?
Blackcat31 08:32 PM 01-20-2020
The back of the form I need to fill out every month said the state will only cover if the parent is at school or working - so I totally assumed!

Thank you! I'll try calling them again tomorrow!

Oh, and I'm required to put their time in and out on the form. Do you need to do that, too? If my state allows absences, how would I fill in the hours if they were absent?
I mark all hours as is and let the caseworkers figure out whether parent was or wasn’t working or in school. The state does not compensate me to police parents.

If the child is scheduled but absent we bill for the absent day but mark it with an “A” by the date.

I copy my sign/out sheet with other names blacked out and include in my billing whenever the assistance agency request time/hour verification.
CountryRoads 07:48 AM 01-21-2020
Finally got ahold of someone and my state only pays for when the child is in care.

Crazy how states can be so different!
Cat Herder 07:56 AM 01-21-2020
Finally got ahold of someone and my state only pays for when the child is in care.

Crazy how states can be so different!
That is how it is here, too. They have made it not worth participating, for me.
CountryRoads 08:04 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is how it is here, too. They have made it not worth participating, for me.
I don't know if one of my families is aware! I hope I don't get any flack for them having to pay my full daily rate. Their child has been 3 days this past week
Cat Herder 08:15 AM 01-21-2020
I don't know if one of my families is aware! I hope I don't get any flack for them having to pay my full daily rate. Their child has been 3 days this past week
Here the parents pay a weekly co-pay amount, then the state pays up to a cap with their average being a whopping $268 per month, per child. They only pay for when the child attends, and poorly. Now you also have to be in QRIS to even receive that.

The average rate won't even cover 2 weeks per month of care for one child with me and I am on the middle scale in my community.

My last subsidy client expected up to 12 hour days with a weekly co-pay of $7. The state made me bill monthly after the fact so they were over three months in arrears when I finally gave up and terminated the contract. I was never reimbursed for my time of effort. Never again.
CountryRoads 08:23 AM 01-21-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Here the parents pay a weekly co-pay amount, then the state pays up to a cap with their average being a whopping $268 per month, per child. They only pay for when the child attends, and poorly. Now you also have to be in QRIS to even receive that.

The average rate won't even cover 2 weeks per month of care for one child with me and I am on the middle scale in my community.

My last subsidy client expected up to 12 hour days with a weekly co-pay of $7. The state made me bill monthly after the fact so they were over three months in arrears when I finally gave up and terminated the contract. I was never reimbursed for my time of effort. Never again.
Wow, that seems low!

My state allows each family X amount of full days and part days per month and pays only when the child is in care. It actually says only when the parent is at school or working, but there's no way for me to know that unless I ask. I have a couple families on it and both pay less than $5/day for all day care.
Cat Herder 08:28 AM 01-21-2020
It does seem ridiculously low. They claim the state average for childcare is $95 week and estimate their contribution of $67 per week to be fair compensation to providers based on the ability for meal write-offs and the food program reimbursements. They are using insurance company rules, I suppose.
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 01-21-2020
My state gives parents a set amount of hours/days they can use per two weeks. They set this amount by the number of hours/days the parent is working or in school. This info is verified every six months.

I bill the parent according to the schedule they provide but the state doesn't cover $24 of the weekly rate so the parent pays that AND their co-payment. Their co-pay is figured by their work/school hours and income.

I provide the parents a separate info sheet so they know they have to pay their portion of the rate or they find elsewhere to go. I'll PM it to you...
Tags:subsidy issues
Reply Up