Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What In The World??
MsKara 06:24 AM 06-24-2010
I have a little girl who is 5 yrs old and is always telling her mom how much she likes it here. However, if I ask her to play a game (like cards, memory, checkers, candyland) she runs off and starts crying uncontrollably. She even hides in the bathroom and won't come out sometimes. If she doesn't get her way with a movie she breaks down and starts crying. She brings her own toys (which I've repeatedly asked the parents not to let happen) and doesn't want to share them. When she is finished doing something (even if the whole group isn't finished) she whines and complains to get her way. The other day she was outside playing on water day. She refused to get in the pool or sprinkler, but when all the other kids got towels (because they were soaking wet) she asked for one. I told her she was already dry and didn't need one and she ran off to the corner to cry for a very long time. She doesn't want to play with the other kids unless it is her idea or what SHE wants to do. I forgot to mention when she first came here she didn't know how to even peddle a trike. Seems very sheltered. What should I do??
Janet 12:12 PM 06-24-2010
The best thing that you can do for her is to not play into her behavior. It sounds like she pretty much uses the crying to get her way. Yeah, she sounds very sheltered too, but she seems like she's well on her way to becoming a master manipulator. As long as you make it clear to her that her behavior is completely unnacceptible at your house, she will know that it won't work with you. I have a girl who was 4 when she started here and she was so much like that! She would pull a lot of the same behaviors and it would drive me up a wall. I guess you could say that I toughened her up by not babying her...ever! It sounds mean but it really does help! I was never mean to her, I would just call her out on the crying and pouting if there wasn't a solid reason for it.
SunflowerMama 12:29 PM 06-24-2010
I have an almost 4yr old dcg with the EXACT same behaviors. Like Janet mentioned I just don't play into it and she always stops when she realizes no one is playing into it.
Lilbutterflie 02:16 PM 06-24-2010
I agree with all of the others! She is doing this for attention, and b/c when she's at home she has learned that it works!! You can not play into it, don't pay any attention to her when she throws fits and runs off. Keep encouraging her to play with the others and participate, hopefully eventually she will break out of her shell and join the others doing what they want to do.
Tags:attention, behavior, crying
Reply Up