Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Excessive Crankiness From Not Sleeping Enough
Lorna 09:01 AM 05-23-2013
Okay curious what other daycare providers are doing. I do have included in my manual if you child can't participate in the activities sick, tired, cranky that they should not be at the daycare. But I have parents that are not taking this seriously. They basically think that putting a 13 month old to bed at 9 is normal. That it is perfectly normal for the child to scream, yell and cry for very small reasons. That this is just her personality. But I have seen a day or two when they child has had enough sleep. Totally different child. She is pleasant and happy. It would be one thing if she could handle being tired but she is only 13 months. The child has been here for 5 weeks. I tried again last night to tell the dad that she is screaming tired in the morning. I take the children out for a walk in the morning. I have already told the other daycare parents their children will be out for a walk from this time to this time. I cannot cancel the walk so this child can nap. The kids go for a nap at 1-3. But everyday this child starts crying like clock work at about 10:30. School will be out in another month. The only other thing I could do is ask my daughter to stay home with her while she naps. But I can't do that til school is out.

So how do I get this through the parents head that she needs to come to daycare not cranky or tired. I am getting tired of the excuses that she isn't sleeping at night. They are the parents and they need to figure that out. The child sleeps great here at naps. help...
Blackcat31 09:04 AM 05-23-2013
If she is not "ready" mentally, emotionally or physically to participate in your normal daily activities, then send her home.

Why should the parents behaviors and methods of parenting be your problem?

If the child can't function and participate, she should not be in care.

Doing that sends the message very clearly to parents that they will have to step up and make sure their DD is rested and fully ready to participate with your program.
tenderhearts 09:04 AM 05-23-2013
What time does the child get up in the morning? I think most children this age still are doing 2 naps.
Oneluckymom 09:14 AM 05-23-2013
The infants I have had at 13 months still require 2 naps a day....typically they would nap somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30 and an afternoon nap with the older kids around 12:30.

Will she nap in the stroller while out with the other kids? Mine have had no problems while in the stroller.
Lorna 09:26 AM 05-23-2013
The parents said she just had one nap. I honestly don't think I would take a child that was 2 naps. I'm the only adult here. So the kids can't go outside in the morning if any are napping.
Meyou 04:09 AM 05-24-2013
Originally Posted by Lorna:
The parents said she just had one nap. I honestly don't think I would take a child that was 2 naps. I'm the only adult here. So the kids can't go outside in the morning if any are napping.
My littles nap from arrival until about 9:45 and we go outside from 10am until noonish. Maybe that could work for you? We still get lots of outside time each morning.
Heidi 07:29 AM 05-24-2013
Most 13 month olds are not developmentally ready for one nap. Even if the parents told you one nap, she clearly needs two.

We go out for walks each morning, too. But my babies sleep before the walk, 9-10. I'm not sure what time she arrives, but if it's early, maybe you can put her right down for a nap before breakfast. She might sleep then, and if she's happy, you're all happy, right?

Even if they put her to bed earlier, she will most likely still need 2 naps.
daycare 08:26 AM 05-24-2013
ready for this.... I have a dck who has been with me going on 2 years. Age 3.5. He goes to bed at 11pm sometimes later.

yesterday he broke the sleeping record here. he slept from 1015am until 430pm.

this has been going on since day 1. I have sent the child home at least 2 times a month for not being able to participate. My program does not normally allow or have the ability to allow a child to sleep all day, but we had an unusual day yesterday that it happened.

I would be telling the parents that if the child cannot participate as normal, then you will call them to come pick them up.

most parents really don't understand just how important sleep is for young children.

I have an article on sleep recommendations if you would like to have it and maybe share it with the family.
Reply Up