Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Super Puker...
Heidi 01:53 PM 06-26-2013
This little guy will be 7 months old next week. He's eating baby cereal and vegies or fruit 3x a day.

He has always been a puker...burping, different bottle nipples (and breastfeeding) and breast milk or different formulas don't make a difference. He's generally happy, although he is not a great sleeper (still gets up 3x a night for food).

He's pukes several times after every feeding. The doctor says it's still normal, but I've never seen anything like this so late, and honestly, it's just disgusting. It's hard to pick him up and love on him because 9/10 times, you're going to get a puke shower.

Any ideas?

As far as night feedings, the reason I put the other thread up is because I was looking for ideas for them. I was going to suggest they water down the formula at night a little each day. When he's on 100% water at night, they can give him a little less at each waking. It's ridiculous that he's still feeding 3x a night at this age.

The parents do not engage him at night. They go hand him his bottle and wait off to the side until he finishes it, then remove it and go back to bed. I imagine there's a lot of sheet-changing in the mornings.
Willow 02:06 PM 06-26-2013
Classic GERD. He probably needs meds and possibly a swallow study to determine if waiting this long to get him on any has done any permanent damage to his esophagus.
melilley 02:09 PM 06-26-2013
Awwww poor guy! It sounds like reflux. My daughter had it and also had meds for it which helped a little, but she still threw up after she ate. Cereal helped a little, but not really. The only thing we could do was make sure she sat up for 30 minutes after eating and she still threw up most times. She eventually grew out of it, but they said if she didn't by a year she would have to have surgery.
I know the doc said that that is normal, but it doesn't sound normal to me.
Cradle2crayons 02:32 PM 06-26-2013
I agree with pp. BTDT and had a shirt but it got puked on too!!!

I also agree that this is NOT normal and if reflux is NOT addressed, it can cause severe damage that can't be fixed. And it can cause asthma, other chronic breathing problems and the list goes on and on.

Even though we had my daughter as controlled as possible, she still ended up with asthma and who knows what other future problems she may face.

Parents need a wake up call and a pediatric gi referral.
MyAngels 04:11 PM 06-26-2013
Oh yuck, the memories this brings back . I had a little guy like this a few years ago, before doctors were making the diagnoses of reflux, GERD, etc. Cutest little guy, but he was a projectile spitter - it got so bad I would just surround him with sheets for a good hour after he ate in the hopes I wouldn't have quite so much cleanup . He did grow out of it at about 11 months, so at least you have that hope.
Oneluckymom 04:14 PM 06-26-2013
Have you tried cutting back on his baby food and doing more bottle feedings? maybe like a morning bottle , lunch and a bottle an hour later, and an afternoon bottle. IDK, just to see how it goes.

Maybe it's a lot of food for him.
LK5kids 04:38 PM 06-26-2013
I have a little guy who was 6 mo on the 10th of June. He has reflux but takes a medication and is fine except for one thing....he takes a bottle every two hours and barely drinks 3 to 4 ounces.

Doctor says he should be drinking 6-8 oz. there is NO way....he often fights and fights to drink even 3 oz. I just don't think his tummy can handle more. Twice today it took him an hour to drink 4 oz. He is at a really good weight and is doing all the typical baby stage stuff.

He was waking at night to eat too. His doctor said they needed to train him to not wake up & not to let him eat so he would get his REM sleep. Doc said that is when he is growing his brain during deep sleep and needs to sleep better. Kind of interesting. Never heard that before but it's kind of a good argument to prod parents to get infants on a better sleep schedule!

I sympathize with you on the extreme puking you are dealing with. That would get really old, really fast!
Cradle2crayons 06:09 PM 06-26-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
I have a little guy who was 6 mo on the 10th of June. He has reflux but takes a medication and is fine except for one thing....he takes a bottle every two hours and barely drinks 3 to 4 ounces.

Doctor says he should be drinking 6-8 oz. there is NO way....he often fights and fights to drink even 3 oz. I just don't think his tummy can handle more. Twice today it took him an hour to drink 4 oz. He is at a really good weight and is doing all the typical baby stage stuff.

He was waking at night to eat too. His doctor said they needed to train him to not wake up & not to let him eat so he would get his REM sleep. Doc said that is when he is growing his brain during deep sleep and needs to sleep better. Kind of interesting. Never heard that before but it's kind of a good argument to prod parents to get infants on a better sleep schedule!

I sympathize with you on the extreme puking you are dealing with. That would get really old, really fast!
Yes it's very true about the rem sleep and that the parents need to do sleep training.... Truer words couldn't be said!!

And also, my daughters gi doctor said that frequent small bottles were better than bigger amounts. More in tummy, more to come out of tummy
Tags:puke
Reply Up