Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Welts on DCG
Oneluckymom 12:52 PM 07-24-2013
My 2 yr DCG has had reoccurring welts that pop up on her legs and arms since last weekend.

They are typically visible after she wakes up after nap.

Mom notified me on Monday at drop off that DCG had been having welts over the weekend and mom had talked to Dr who recommended she give Benydryl and to come in for allergy testing if welts continue to reoccur.

This is the same DCG I have mentioned who will only eat carbs and refuses fruits and veggies. She has not been introduced to any new foods.

Mom has been bringing in the benydryl but I have not given it to DCG yet.

Dcg ends up with her entire legs covered and patches of large welts on arms.

How should I proceed...I doubt this is anything contagious, but who knows.
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 07-24-2013
Simply to protect yourself, I would require something in writing stating that the parents have a plan of action to find out the cause of these welts. Either through their primary medical provider or via an allergist.

Either way, I wouldn't feel comfortable with her being in care with such little info.... Are they giving her Benedryl before dropping off? If so, have them sign something stating that.

I have NO idea what COULD happen, other than you being blamed for something if this is not documented. kwim?

Just protect your liabilities.
Oneluckymom 01:12 PM 07-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Simply to protect yourself, I would require something in writing stating that the parents have a plan of action to find out the cause of these welts. Either through their primary medical provider or via an allergist.

Either way, I wouldn't feel comfortable with her being in care with such little info.... Are they giving her Benedryl before dropping off? If so, have them sign something stating that.

I have NO idea what COULD happen, other than you being blamed for something if this is not documented. kwim?

Just protect your liabilities.
This is the DCM of my First DCG. How should I word this as to not sound rude or pushy?
Blackcat31 01:45 PM 07-24-2013
Hmm, maybe you could blame licensing....say something like any undiagnosed conditions warrants exclusion from care. Then suggest they have their doctor write something up about working with them or trying to find a diagnosis.

I'd also say something like, "Would you also maybe write up a short summary in your own words about the situation so that I can keep it in my files should my licensor question it."

I don't know...just throwing it out there....because ultimately I DO understand that they simply don't know but at the same time I also KNOW that if this were to turn ugly for any reason, the provider is always the one who gets blamed for something...kwim?

Hopefully that was somewhat helpful...
daycare 01:57 PM 07-24-2013
I am also in CA....aka sue happy state

I will NOT for any reason give a child any form of medication.....NEVER.......unless it is something that they are on for their life illness..

I also require all parents to inform me in writing if their child has taken any medication at all before dropping off.

I tell them, should something happen, IE an allergic reaction and you don't tell me I won't know what to tell 911 when I call them. I won't know what to tell the paramedics or doctors if I am able to go to the hospital with your child.

THis is the truth, my insurance company will not allow me to administer ANY form of medications without a doctors note and treatment plan...........

I would be sending this child home and not letting her return until she has been diagnosed and cleared by a doctor

I would just tell dcm I am uncomfortable providing care for her while this is occurring. I would truly hate for something to happen when she is here in my care. I would not be able to get her the proper care right away like you could, I can only call an ambulance and we know how expensive that would be for your family. I would just really hate to cause any financial burden on you guys........
3amazingkiddos 02:41 PM 07-24-2013
In the spring my own son went through something similar, at random times he would just break out in hives/welts. We took him to the doctor several times, but they couldn't find anything. It went away as quick as it came and he's been fine ever since. My own opinion is that it was seasonal allergy related, but we never had him tested.
Michael 02:55 PM 07-24-2013
Could be allergic to the fabric on her bedding or possibly the detergent or softener used to clean them.
Oneluckymom 03:02 PM 07-24-2013
It's possible Michael. I was actually wondering if it may be a gluten allergy.
Oneluckymom 03:14 PM 07-24-2013
She just woke up and they are starting to develop on her legs.

I think its food related just because they are occurring when she wears pants too, whether we are outside or not, etc. And always after she eats.
Thetotspot 07:30 PM 07-24-2013
could you explain more how these welts look? are they swollen red circles? or wheals (lines). do they spread on her if she touches them? any itching, burning, or discomfort? is she having trouble sleeping with the welts? any way we could get a picture? i have seen something similar but would be easier to tell with more information. also...is it only on her legs? anywhere or right along seams?
Crystal 08:44 PM 07-24-2013
I used to get what is called "chronic uticaria" that were red, raised, itchy welts that would appear at random times daily. There was no explanation for it and the doctor just told me to take Benadryl or chlorphenaramin. For me, the trigger seemed to be stress. I haven't had the problem in a couple of years though.
Thetotspot 11:00 PM 07-24-2013
yeah, thats kind of what i had in mind. i have dermatographia (and like 5 different kinds of induced urticarias). im a constant hive ball all the time if i dont take antihistamines. i have been living on antihistamines for almost 8 years. (my feet have hives right now from walking across the room). i hope thats not what she has (but at least its not dangerous, wont kill ya or anything, but is definitely not comfortable). i would push the whole undiagnosed rash thing , push mom to take the child in. yes benadryl would be helpful. but if it is an urticaria of sorts, a 24 hour antihistamine would be better...and it would keep you from having to administer any medications as many providers (me being one) do not dispense medications for liability reasons.
Willow 07:21 AM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Could be allergic to the fabric on her bedding or possibly the detergent or softener used to clean them.
If it's only happening after nap and while wearing pants I would absolutely think detergent/softner/fabric material allergy.

If it were a food issue you'd be seeing a pretty consistent pattern after breakfast and snacks too, doesn't seem to be the case. Add to that, the vast majority of food allergies don't manifest as just welts on the legs.
Oneluckymom 10:07 AM 07-25-2013
These start out as small patches and seem to grow into large whitish raised welts and the surrounding tissue is red around them.

It doesn't seem to matter what she is wearing...shorts, pants, skirts...she still gets them on her arms and legs.

She did have some small ones this morning....but I don't see them now.

It does seem to be consistently after nap time at home and at DC.

She is going to the doctor this afternoon and I'm hoping she also see's an allergist and gets tested.

Will keep you updated.
Tags:allergic reactions
Reply Up