Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Welts on DCG
Oneluckymom 08:35 AM 07-26-2013
photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

Here are some pics of the welts my DCG had yesterday that I had posted about earlier.

She did see the Dr and the doctor wants to wait about a week for allergy testing. Dr seems to think it may be viral.....I think not.

The saga continues....
Attached:
daycare 08:41 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Attachment 1816

Attachment 1817

Here are some pics of the welts my DCG had yesterday that I had posted about earlier.

She did see the Dr and the doctor wants to wait about a week for allergy testing. Dr seems to think it may be viral.....I think not.

The saga continues....
just curious why wait a week???
Oneluckymom 08:45 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
just curious why wait a week???
I asked the same thing. According to mom, Dr wants to see if it goes away on its own.
sassysue 08:45 AM 07-26-2013
They look like an allergic reaction to pet dander(primarily cat)
That's what my skin looks like when I have a reaction.
Just a thought...
Brooksie 08:46 AM 07-26-2013
That is a BAD allergic reaction. Holy crap. I can't believe that dr wants to WAIT for allergy testing. Find a different dr.
Oneluckymom 08:47 AM 07-26-2013
DCG had the same welts on her arms. By the time she got home I'm sure they had spread to her back too.

She been getting treated with Benadryl. To me that isn't getting to the bottom of what ever is causing this...even if its allergy related. We need to know THE CAUSE.
daycare 08:52 AM 07-26-2013
I would be telling the mom to call the Doc back and tell the doc that the DC is not letting her child return until she has been diagnosed and is cleared to come back. THe mom needs to push the doctor to do this or ask to see a dermatologist. YOu are taking a big risk having her there if it is viral and it spreads to others...

I would not letting that child attend my DC
cheerfuldom 08:57 AM 07-26-2013
I agree with the allergy. my son got something very similar when we found out he is allergic to cat hair. it looks like a contact allergic reaction.....could be detergent, carpet cleaner, soaps, something that came in contact with her skin directly. a new pet would be my first guess. perhaps chlorine in the pool, grass or dirt may be making it all worse. I cant believe they havent given her at least a perscription topical cream and then keep her in pants and long sleeves.
Oneluckymom 09:08 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I agree with the allergy. my son got something very similar when we found out he is allergic to cat hair. it looks like a contact allergic reaction.....could be detergent, carpet cleaner, soaps, something that came in contact with her skin directly. a new pet would be my first guess. perhaps chlorine in the pool, grass or dirt may be making it all worse. I cant believe they havent given her at least a perscription topical cream and then keep her in pants and long sleeves.

The thing is it occurs whether or not she has the skin exposed. She has had bad welts WITH pants on. Which leads me to believe it may not necessarily be a contact allergy. But who knows.

Mom has not been using anything new at home...according to her.

Same here...I haven't changed anything either.
MamaBearCanada 09:15 AM 07-26-2013
My daughter used to get hives like that whenever she got a virus. It seemed to stop shortly after she turned 2 yrs old. Hers were not as bad as your DCG though. We were told to give Benadryl and usually the hives were gone after 3-4 days.
cheerfuldom 10:12 AM 07-26-2013
The thing is it occurs whether or not she has the skin exposed. She has had bad welts WITH pants on. Which leads me to believe it may not necessarily be a contact allergy. But who knows.

Mom has not been using anything new at home...according to her.

Same here...I haven't changed anything either.
well once the skin is inflamed and irritated, you cant just get rid of it by covering the skin, that would be only a small part of treating a contact allergy rash, if that is what it is. i am shocked that the doctor was not more alarmed. when i took my son in, we had FOUR doctors look at him and they were the ones comparing notes and being alarmed at it and wanting to get it addressed asap!

are you excluding for care? I would. I would send this child home until the doctor gave a diagnosis and confirmed it not contagious. if this doctor won't, the parent needs to get a second opinion. I dont care for kids with unexplained rashes and this one is head to toe and severe so yes I would exclude.
Starburst 10:17 AM 07-26-2013
It could be bug bites. I've gotten really bad welts before from bug bites (mostly because of swelling/irritation from itching).
daycare 10:18 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
well once the skin is inflamed and irritated, you cant just get rid of it by covering the skin, that would be only a small part of treating a contact allergy rash, if that is what it is. i am shocked that the doctor was not more alarmed. when i took my son in, we had FOUR doctors look at him and they were the ones comparing notes and being alarmed at it and wanting to get it addressed asap!

are you excluding for care? I would. I would send this child home until the doctor gave a diagnosis and confirmed it not contagious. if this doctor won't, the parent needs to get a second opinion. I dont care for kids with unexplained rashes and this one is head to toe and severe so yes I would exclude.
My husband is a PA.....I asked him why they would make them wait.....he gave me a term, can't recall exactly what he said but he said this....

he said that a lot places will delay treatment for things that are not life threatening, knowing that more than likely the patient will end up in the emergency room to seek out further treatment NOW. the hospital makes more money this way.....

Sounds horrible if you ask me....he said he learned this in school
Oneluckymom 11:26 AM 07-26-2013
Funny thing is they don't seem to bother her. She doesn't itch them or complain at ll.

No she is not here today. Supposed to return on Monday, but mom said if they persist over the weekend then she will take her back to Dr.
Happy Hearts 11:40 AM 07-26-2013
Those pictures look exactly like what my son used to get. We did allergy testing and he was allergic to dust mites! That's what was doing it for the most part. He also broke out like that with horses and various other allergies.

He also had tons of sensitivities.

Good luck! It's tough to keep those dust mites away.
Familycare71 02:17 PM 07-26-2013
Funny thing is they don't seem to bother her. She doesn't itch them or complain at ll.

No she is not here today. Supposed to return on Monday, but mom said if they persist over the weekend then she will take her back to Dr.
Good!!! Hope they find the cause quickly- but at least they aren't bothering her!
MsLaura529 02:35 PM 07-26-2013
Those are the kind of welts my cousin would break out with whenever he came in contact with one of his allergens - pet dander and dust mites. They had take out all of the carpet in their house and they couldn't have any stuffed animals or anything like that.
LoraJenkins 07:11 PM 07-26-2013
Attachment 1816

Attachment 1817

The saga continues....
OMG!!!! That looks EXACTLY like the reaction my DH had to fire ants a few years ago. I treated him with benadryl UNTIL we could get to the ER. Definitely an allergic reaction to something she has come in contact with or an insect. WHY would they want to wait?????
Cradle2crayons 02:22 AM 07-27-2013
I have been there and done this with my daughter when she was younger.

It's true, sometimes they are viral in nature.

And if a doctor sees hem, especially if they aren't a on the face or neck, they do not consider them dangerous or even contagious.

They are sometimes vital, but in kids most of the time they simply don't know the cause.

Allergy testing, while showing possible false positive and negatives, generall won't show a true cause, even if there is a positive.

Here is a paragraph I found in some literature.

What are the causes of ordinary hives?

As noted above, many cases of ordinary hives are "idiopathic," meaning no cause is known. Others may be triggered by viral infections. A few may be caused by medications, usually when they have been taken for the first time a few weeks before. (It is uncommon for drugs taken continuously for long periods to cause hives or other reactions.) When a medication is implicated as a cause of hives, the drug must be stopped, since no skin or blood test will prove the connection. In most cases, drug-induced hives will go away in a few days. If a drug is stopped and the hives do not go away, this is a strong indication that the medication was not in fact the cause of the hives.

And this is the case in all I've seen in my career that present this way..

In my daughters case, I always refer to her ad my ashy baby. Wen the hives left, they left and never came back.
Evansmom 08:12 AM 07-27-2013
We have allergies and our allergist says allergy testing after exposure won't be accurate. This is probably why their doc wants to wait. In fact I've read that it's better to wait 4 weeks or more for allergic blood mediators to go back to normal levels.

Apparently IgE in the blood (what causes allergic reactions) is all skewed after an exposure. So the tests will be all off if they test now. Plus you have to be off any antihistamine for a week before testing because those drugs will throw off the test too. So in our experience the DCG's doc is doing what he can. First step would be to stop the reaction either by giving benedryl around the clock or maybe an epi at the hospital. Then testing when it's indicated.

Keep in mind too that skin and RAST testing only have a 50-60% accuracy (either false positive or false negative) so they're not really reliable.
Unregistered 09:52 AM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
That is a BAD allergic reaction. Holy crap. I can't believe that dr wants to WAIT for allergy testing. Find a different dr.
Our Allergist for our DD waited too. He did not want to make things worse by doing the testing while she already had a reaction. That can also cause other issues too...

Found out our DD was allergic to darn near everything and unfortunately, she had to start taking allergy shots. She ended up with anaphylaxis 2 of those shots and discontinued them because they scared her (and us!) so much.

It's not as simple as we think it is sometimes, and it's not the time to start any testing.
countrymom 12:56 PM 07-27-2013
if she is getting them to areas where the skin is not exposed then its something that she is eating or its inside her clothes. Like new laundry soap, body wash, bubble bath, fabric softner.

is she coming with them or do they appear at your house. If she is coming with them, then its something from home. If its bad, usually benedryl is to be given twice a day and they go away after the third day. Is mom really giving her some, is she giving her the right dose.
Evansmom 04:08 PM 07-28-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
if she is getting them to areas where the skin is not exposed then its something that she is eating or its inside her clothes. Like new laundry soap, body wash, bubble bath, fabric softner.

is she coming with them or do they appear at your house. If she is coming with them, then its something from home. If its bad, usually benedryl is to be given twice a day and they go away after the third day. Is mom really giving her some, is she giving her the right dose.
Actually benedryl is safe to be given every 4 hours around the clock (even during night) and my doc tells us to give twice the amount per dosage listed by weight on the bottle for an allergic reaction.
Razzledbrat 06:03 PM 07-28-2013
My daughter suddenly had the exact same break out happen! It always seem to happen on a weekend when I couldnt get her to the doc! They just went away! I did take her to doc anyway and doc said it was an allergy of some sort. She said to give her benedryl when it happens and gave us a cream to put on it because it did itch my daughter like crazy.

It did happen again and we gave her benedryl. It was gone within an hour! It came and went ! Sometimes it was just a spot or two and sometimes it was everywhere!

Oddly enuff! It hasnt happened in months! I thinkkk she was having a reaction to something at her best friends house next door. She spent the night there almost every weekend. Thennn the friend moved away.....she hasnt had it since!
Reply Up