Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking Too Much...How Would You Handle This?
Dragonfly 06:48 PM 07-28-2013
This DCF has been with me for almost 2 years. DCM is one who asks a lot but is super sweet and evens brings a supply of snacks for all the kids. She has a new baby who will start in Aug when school starts. DCM is a teacher and I have to deal with her always asking if she has to pay during summer, Christmas, and Spring Break...YES. Last summer I kept her spot open at no charge because I had a summer only DCK, no problem. This summer, she and I tried to fill her 2 year olds spot for the summer but couldn't. So, I told her she had to pay for DCB's spot, because I just could not afford it. I have also been holding a spot open for her new baby since Dec at no charge. I'm recently divorced with 2 of my own kids and I'm barely making it. When I had my husbands income I didn't mind at all not making parents pay if child was absent. I could afford it. By the time the new baby starts in Aug, I will have lost $4000 saving this spot for this family "to be nice". Believe me, this will never happen again! Anyway, DCM brings 2 year old about 3 times a week and pays for a full week. Now she wants to bring new baby 1 day a week, although tomorrow was to be first week of that and she has already asked me if he can come 2 days. She wants both boys to come this fri which is not one of the days we agreed on and she knows this is my light day and I like to get out of the house with the 2-3 that come that day. Her husband is taking off on Fri to do some chores and she asked to bring BOTH boys. This just bothers me since both parents will be at home and If I say they can bring the boys that day, it's going to mess up my "outing" day. (She knows all this...we've been over and over it). So, enough background info! My question is since she pays for full week for 2 year old and only comes 3 days, should I even charge her for bringing the baby 1-2 days?? I'm just torn because it has cost me so much money to hold new baby's spot for so long. I wish she would just volunteer to pay for the baby's part time days. We are fairly close and she knows my financial situation. But I feel like I'm being greedy if I ask her to pay for baby's days when she is not even using her full week for the 2 year old.
Familycare71 06:56 PM 07-28-2013
Why is she paying for a full week if she is only using 3 days?
Are the three days scheduled days?
Why wouldn't she pay for the day/s she brings the infant? That is a goat ally separate child.
How do you normally charge for pt, ft? Is it hours, per day, per week?

Just confused on how you had it worked out with her. I don't understand why you have held this spot but didnt set up a schedule or payment agreement for the infant.
itlw8 07:20 PM 07-28-2013
yes you charge her for the infant coming.... no really you can not tell her she can not bring the 2 yr old that day but you can say no to the infant because you have an outing planned.

you can say it would not be the best day for the older child because of the outing and would prefer she stick to the days you agreed upon.
Dragonfly 07:24 PM 07-28-2013
She pays for a full week because she wants to keep her full time spot even though she is off for the summer. Her wanting to bring the baby 1 day a week JUST came up. He was not supposed to start until mid August at full time rate. So I wanted other opinions on how they would charge her for bringing the baby 1 or 2 days a week since she is currently only using 3 of the 5 days she pays for. I guess it's not being unreasonable to make her pay part time rates for the baby AND a full time spot for the 2 year old.

You questioning why I'm even questioning how to charge her, is my answer! Just wanted other opinions!
daycare 07:26 PM 07-28-2013
I agree with above PP BUT if you are hurting for money you made need to start making sacrifices, which means no more outings in the future or maybe having to cancel some.

Currently I am my families only income and I am having to make a ton of sacrifices to keep the money coming in....
Dragonfly 07:41 PM 07-28-2013
Thanks for your input, ladies! I got my answer.
MamaBearCanada 07:47 PM 07-28-2013
Yes she needs to pay for the baby & you need a contract that covers care for the new child.

I am slightly confused about the situation for the older child. She is paying for a full week to hold his spot - can she bring him the full week if she wants or is it a set 3 days or 3 days of her choosing? You have to decide if you can afford to lose her should she decide that it's unfair to pay for a full week she can't use (if you only let her have 3 days) plus pay for the baby. Now, there is nothing wrong with doing that if that's what was agreed, I'm just stating how the parent might react. What about a higher daily part-time rate for the both of them but only for a scheduled amount of days? I only mention that if you really need to keep this family otherwise stand your ground.

Whenever she asks a question about payment tell her to refer to your contract/handbook.

Good luck!
Familycare71 08:10 PM 07-28-2013
Originally Posted by LittleAggies:
She pays for a full week because she wants to keep her full time spot even though she is off for the summer. Her wanting to bring the baby 1 day a week JUST came up. He was not supposed to start until mid August at full time rate. So I wanted other opinions on how they would charge her for bringing the baby 1 or 2 days a week since she is currently only using 3 of the 5 days she pays for. I guess it's not being unreasonable to make her pay part time rates for the baby AND a full time spot for the 2 year old.

You questioning why I'm even questioning how to charge her, is my answer! Just wanted other opinions!
I hope I didn't offend you- I was looking for clarification .
I would absolutely charge for the infant! I would either tell her as a drop in rate (when you agree and she wants) until "official" start date or as a PT...
I would say you need to take the older one fri if she pays for full time but not the baby... IMO

Hope it all works out!! Keep your head up
JoseyJo 09:06 PM 07-28-2013
Originally Posted by Christie71:
I would absolutely charge for the infant! I would either tell her as a drop in rate (when you agree and she wants) until "official" start date or as a PT...
I would say you need to take the older one fri if she pays for full time but not the baby... IMO
Same here- if she is paying for a full spot for 2yo I would let her bring that child as many or few days as she wanted, but she needs to have a contract and pay drop in rates for the infant until the f/t position starts!
coolconfidentme 04:43 AM 07-29-2013
Give her a daily rate for the infant. He isn't free to care for, is he?
Tags:parents - ask too much, part time care, payment issues
Reply Up