Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Upset Stomach
kelsey's kids 08:23 AM 12-23-2013
What do you do when you are not feeling 100 percent?
Happily_wed 08:27 AM 12-23-2013
It depends on what is wrong. If it is stomach related I call and tell daycare family that I need the day off. For something like my seasonal allergies or a cold I go by how I feel. If I have a fever or haven't slept much I will call and take the day off. If I think I can medicate myself and get through I will go ahead and work. I am very lucky since I only have one family and they always have backup care.

Hope you feel better soon!
cara041083 08:45 AM 12-23-2013
I call and tell the parents. I let them know its there choice if they want to bring there child, but tell them its at there own risk. Normally they choose to keep there kids home, but there is still that one parent that shows up
cheerfuldom 09:07 AM 12-23-2013
Unless I am on my deathbed, I am open. My parents stick with me because I am reliable. I have only taken one day off in 6 years due to illness (besides maternity leave and pregnancy related illness). I think part of the job is just working even when you are ill unless you are contagious with something serious.
thetoddlerwhisper 09:13 AM 12-23-2013
im here and available. we tend to have a lazy movie day if im feeling yuck
sharlan 09:35 AM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Unless I am on my deathbed, I am open. My parents stick with me because I am reliable. I have only taken one day off in 6 years due to illness (besides maternity leave and pregnancy related illness). I think part of the job is just working even when you are ill unless you are contagious with something serious.
I just suck it up and move on.
cheerfuldom 09:46 AM 12-23-2013
Originally Posted by athacker:
im here and available. we tend to have a lazy movie day if im feeling yuck
yup. don't feel like you have to do the full day of curriculum and such. if you dont feel good, nothing wrong with mixing it up and making things easier on yourself, provided the kids are safe and cared for. movie days do the trick sometimes!
Laurel 10:16 AM 12-23-2013

I've taken off 2 days in 18 years for illness although so far I've been pretty healthy. I worked through a month and a half of a kind of bronchitis. The doctor said I wasn't contagious although she said don't be coughing in anyone's face, duh. No one got sick. Wow, that was rough though as I was barely sleeping at night and working all day. I lived to tell about it though.

Laurel
daycarediva 10:18 AM 12-23-2013
I took two days off this year (bacterial pneumonia).

One last year when I got the nasty stomach virus that one of the kids have (actively vomiting=can't care for kids)

If I could care for my OWN kids, then I stay open.

If I'm not feeling well, I will cut circle time and/or centers short, have more free play, pull something out of the closet (sensory bins, busy bags) that they don't see often. If all else fails, a movie is my last ditch attempt to survive the day.
e.j. 03:13 PM 12-23-2013
If I'm just mildly nauseated or crampy because of something I ate (I'm lactose intolerant but love cheese!), I suck it up and work.

If I have a stomach bug and know it's just a matter of time before I start doing my impression of a volcano, I cancel day care.

Much depends on whether I've got something that's contagious or not and whether I feel I can care for the kids properly or not.
littlemissmuffet 08:58 PM 12-23-2013
I close, and I don't EVER feel guilty about it. I have 5 paid sick days per year - and if I have them available, I use them.

Sometimes my hubs will run the daycare for me while I rest, etc.

I am a person, a mother and a wife before I am a daycare provider - I get sick sometimes, and I'm not running myself down further just to be "reliable" (which, I am, btw). I have never EVER had a parent be upset with me when I've taken a sick day and I would term if I did.

Thankfully I don't get sick very often, and when I do it's something so mild I can work through it.
kitykids3 07:51 AM 12-26-2013
I work. I had a stomach bug all last week, Tuesday through this tuesday, and I unfortunately worked, even tho I know that I should have at least taken Wed off. Next time I am that bad, I will. I rarely take off last minute, maybe twice in 7 years, but I think I am starting to regret not taking care of myself more.
Cradle2crayons 08:40 AM 12-26-2013
yup. don't feel like you have to do the full day of curriculum and such. if you dont feel good, nothing wrong with mixing it up and making things easier on yourself, provided the kids are safe and cared for. movie days do the trick sometimes!
This.
Reply Up