Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop in care vent...
finsup 10:09 AM 12-29-2014
Yup, drop-in "big" kids on their vacations was a dumb idea. Add this to my list of things not to do again *sigh*. One family had secured 3 days last week, 3 days this week. Want to know how many the kid is actually coming?! ONE. She found family to watch her for free the first week, I suspect the same thing happened this week. Doesn't matter at all that I had held that space for her, or already bought extra food. Oh and dcm wants a cheaper rate for that day because they're picking up early...how about no.

The other family, mom is great, it's a family I used to have when dcb was little. Problem is, the kid is really rude, pushy and extreemly sneaky. I am not impressed with the behavior I'm seeing at all.

Then...my OWN child is completely off the wall, over excited because "big" kids are here. His behavior has been awful which in turn has made the 18 month old mimic everything he's doing. Yup, not doing this again!
Blackcat31 10:16 AM 12-29-2014
Originally Posted by finsup:
Yup, drop-in "big" kids on their vacations was a dumb idea. Add this to my list of things not to do again *sigh*. One family had secured 3 days last week, 3 days this week. Want to know how many the kid is actually coming?! ONE. She found family to watch her for free the first week, I suspect the same thing happened this week. Doesn't matter at all that I had held that space for her, or already bought extra food. Oh and dcm wants a cheaper rate for that day because they're picking up early...how about no.

The other family, mom is great, it's a family I used to have when dcb was little. Problem is, the kid is really rude, pushy and extreemly sneaky. I am not impressed with the behavior I'm seeing at all.

Then...my OWN child is completely off the wall, over excited because "big" kids are here. His behavior has been awful which in turn has made the 18 month old mimic everything he's doing. Yup, not doing this again!
For future reference, when parents schedule drop in care, require payment in advance for the days they schedule. Let them know there are no refunds for any unused days.

This helps a lot.

If it is a regular family, I might consider billing them anyways and letting them know they reserved the space (thus eliminating anyone else being able to use it) therefore, fees are still due.

If that is not possible, then make sure the next time the parent asks for care services for their older kid, say no. AND make sure they know why you are saying no.

Sorry this happened to you. I've been there before too.
finsup 10:34 AM 12-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
For future reference, when parents schedule drop in care, require payment in advance for the days they schedule. Let them know there are no refunds for any unused days.

This helps a lot.

If it is a regular family, I might consider billing them anyways and letting them know they reserved the space (thus eliminating anyone else being able to use it) therefore, fees are still due.

If that is not possible, then make sure the next time the parent asks for care services for their older kid, say no. AND make sure they know why you are saying no.

Sorry this happened to you. I've been there before too.
That is def. what I will be doing next time! With this family, they are pretty new. Only been here a few times on random snow days. I never said anything about paying in advance for days they didn't use so I can't really expect them to do that this time. But, that will be going in an email to them tonight about "updated 2015 policies." *sigh* Good learning experience at least!
cheerfuldom 03:22 PM 12-29-2014
I require payment in advance, especially for drop in kids. no refunds. i have still had parents pay a lot and just use a day or two.......fine with me
daycare 03:31 PM 12-29-2014
just to add conformation ditto on what BC and Cheer already said.

require payment up front, no refunds if they no show or leave early.

If you reserve a full day with me in advance and you pay for it, then this is what you will be charged without refund.
finsup 09:48 AM 12-30-2014
Yup, I'm telling parents that basically the spot is "open" until someone pays for it. First parent to pay for the spot gets it. No refunds or days carrying over. I know one family who will say "oh, since we paid for a spot for her vacation, but didn't end up using it, can we just use it for the next vacation and not have to pay again?" I think I may make the "no refunds" part of the contract in bold, larger font for this family...I'd like to include after that "don't even ask" but I suppose that wouldn't look very professional lol.
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 12-30-2014
Originally Posted by finsup:
Yup, I'm telling parents that basically the spot is "open" until someone pays for it. First parent to pay for the spot gets it. No refunds or days carrying over. I know one family who will say "oh, since we paid for a spot for her vacation, but didn't end up using it, can we just use it for the next vacation and not have to pay again?" I think I may make the "no refunds" part of the contract in bold, larger font for this family...I'd like to include after that "don't even ask" but I suppose that wouldn't look very professional lol.
You could say "NO exceptions" instead. Or even add "$10 fee for any further explanations...."

Means the same thing but in a much more professional manner.

I have "those" types of parents too....Always wondering if the rules apply to them or just everyone else....
Reply Up