Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New at This - Wondering How to Decline Giving Care to a Family
Hippygal 07:31 AM 03-29-2018
Hello all! Just started my family Childcare. I have a potential client who seems truly interested in signing her child up. He seems like a sweet kid, BUT... he痴 4, not potty trained and has speech issues. I知 not too concerned over the speech issues as much as I am concerned over some observations I made while I was interviewing, and the fact that he has only used the potty one time at 4 years old. He seemed to be very protective of the toys he was playing with and kind of grunt yelling at my daughter(2) when she tried to play with him. I guess I知 concerned that he showed some signs of aggression and that he may possibly require more care than I can give whilst caring for other children as well. The mom said she痴 been at 2 other daycares, that he had been picked on by other kids, but the last daycare apparently told her that he was the instigator. The thing is, I知 not sure how to say no. Does anyone have any standards they use for situations like these?
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Hippygal:
Hello all! Just started my family Childcare. I have a potential client who seems truly interested in signing her child up. He seems like a sweet kid, BUT... he痴 4, not potty trained and has speech issues. I知 not too concerned over the speech issues as much as I am concerned over some observations I made while I was interviewing, and the fact that he has only used the potty one time at 4 years old. He seemed to be very protective of the toys he was playing with and kind of grunt yelling at my daughter(2) when she tried to play with him. I guess I知 concerned that he showed some signs of aggression and that he may possibly require more care than I can give whilst caring for other children as well. The mom said she痴 been at 2 other daycares, that he had been picked on by other kids, but the last daycare apparently told her that he was the instigator. The thing is, I知 not sure how to say no. Does anyone have any standards they use for situations like these?
Welcome to the forum!

In situations like this I think it's best to just say you don't think your program would be a good fit.

Don't give specifics just stay vague. If the parent persists, provide them with the number to the local Child Care Resource & Referral agency for assistance in find care that better fits their family's needs.
nannyde 09:06 AM 03-29-2018
Run

often parents with kids who have developmental and behavior problems or have been booted from previous daycares go for newbie providers who are desperate for clients.

You can ask for the name and number of his previous providers so you can get a reference on his tenure there. That should steer her clear of you.
daycarediva 10:59 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Run

often parents with kids who have developmental and behavior problems or have been booted from previous daycares go for newbie providers who are desperate for clients.

You can ask for the name and number of his previous providers so you can get a reference on his tenure there. That should steer her clear of you.
This..

at interviews ALWAYS say "I am interviewing other families for the space and will let you know by X date."

then send an email.

Thank you for inquiring about care at ABC daycare. At this time, I do not think (name) would be a good fit for my program. I have enclosed the contact information for the local child care referral agency.

Provider
nannyde 01:20 PM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This..

at interviews ALWAYS say "I am interviewing other families for the space and will let you know by X date."

then send an email.

Thank you for inquiring about care at ABC daycare. At this time, I do not think (name) would be a good fit for my program. I have enclosed the contact information for the local child care referral agency.

Provider
You can also say "I'm interviewing a number of families over the next month. If I choose your family for a second interview I will let you towards the end of that month time frame. Thank you for your time and good luck in your search."
Tags:declining clients, how to say no, saying no
Reply Up