Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Time Off This Summer
Josiegirl 04:08 PM 04-01-2018
I've handed out a list of early closures and days off for the summer, just Memorial Day and 4th of July. But it looks like there is a week in July where I'll only have 1-2 dcks, at least as it stands now. Is it terrible to change my plans to include a 4 day weekend? Say something to take away the guilt.
mamamanda 04:35 PM 04-01-2018
That's 3 months notice. You can definitely change plans without feeling bad at all. You know they wouldn't think twice about changing on you
finsup 05:48 PM 04-01-2018
Do it! It's only a long weekend and they still have plenty of notice! And only two days off during the summer?! Yeah, don't even think twice about it I'm taking two WEEKS in May, 1 week in July, 1week in August plus holidays. I don't even feel guilty anymore, we only get so much nice weather lol.
storybookending 07:15 PM 04-01-2018
Do it girl! Did you decide on if you were going to take the SA kiddos or not?
Josiegirl 02:09 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Do it girl! Did you decide on if you were going to take the SA kiddos or not?
Good memory I offered summer spots to the easier set of sibs and dcm said both grandmas retired so they don't need me anymore. And I told the very challenging set of sibs' mom I didn't have the spots due to insurance limits(can only have 6 at any given time). I kind of fibbed. I'm only going to have 4 this summer which will be a much needed break but $$$ will be skimpy. Those 2 were such a bad fit, especially without the other 2 SA dcks.

Thanks everybody. I know I shouldn't feel guilty; it must be a carry-over feeling from a long time ago.
Cat Herder 05:24 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
dcm said both grandmas retired so they don't need me anymore.
Poor Gma's. Hope they were consulted first before they were pressured or guilted into this.

Definitely take some time off where you can. Enjoy it.

I'm regretting not closing for spring break this year with the schools. All DCK's off schedule, 1 have only seen GParents for six days with no parent communication, most last minute drops, all last second pick-ups, all whining, over tired, clingy hot messes. Yay.

No guilt.
rosieteddy 07:10 AM 04-03-2018
Take the time off.You deserve a break ,and parents would not think twice about taking time when they want.I aam a believer of vacation for providers.Sometimes it felt like my taking two weeks (paid)vacation forced parents to plan time with their children.I took 1 week in July and 1 week August every parent figured out a plan.I never lost a family because I took paid time off.
storybookending 07:37 AM 04-03-2018
Good memory I offered summer spots to the easier set of sibs and dcm said both grandmas retired so they don't need me anymore. And I told the very challenging set of sibs' mom I didn't have the spots due to insurance limits(can only have 6 at any given time). I kind of fibbed. I'm only going to have 4 this summer which will be a much needed break but $$$ will be skimpy. Those 2 were such a bad fit, especially without the other 2 SA dcks.

Thanks everybody. I know I shouldn't feel guilty; it must be a carry-over feeling from a long time ago.
SA age are the worst. I told a mom of a current dcg that I could not take her older child and having him 3 days of spring break and also today because of a snow day I do not regret this decision. I do feel a little bad because saying no to him also meant saying no to an older sister of a current dcb that really really wants to come here. I couldn’t say yes to one and not the other. I held a space or two, depending on ages, open since January waiting for for the right family. It was a pay cut for awhile but I’ve filled one of the spaces as of yesterday with a family that I think is going to be great and hopefully keep me in business for awhile without having to take on new clients as they plan to have more kids.
Jo123ABC 08:15 AM 04-03-2018
I would! That's plenty of notice!
Ariana 05:07 AM 12-21-2018
Always. YES!!!
LittleExplorers 05:33 AM 12-21-2018
Take the time off. You will never regret closing but may regret staying open.
CityGarden 08:33 AM 12-28-2018
I’m taking the entire summer off.... some things are worth the inconvenience to others.
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 12-28-2018
Josie posted this last April so summer has come and gone

But curious... did you end up taking the extra time off?
Josiegirl 02:26 PM 12-28-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Josie posted this last April so summer has come and gone

But curious... did you end up taking the extra time off?
Haha! I did.
Mom2Two 02:38 PM 12-28-2018
I know that I need some time off--I wouldn't be able to do this job without some rest breaks.

I try to give 30 days notice, but sometimes I've had to only give two weeks notice for a hard-to-get doctor appointment.

But I take all fed holidays off and three other weeks a year. I don't charge for those though. (I know most people do charge for days off though).
BumbleBee 09:24 PM 12-28-2018
I'd do it!

I take a week off in July and a week off over Christmas/New Year's. It's definitely not enough.
Josiegirl 03:02 AM 12-29-2018
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
I'd do it!

I take a week off in July and a week off over Christmas/New Year's. It's definitely not enough.
That's good to hear. My family's already been asking me when I can take time off this summer to go visit my dd in Seattle but I need a good chunk for that, not just an extended weekend. I told them it's too soon after Christmas vacation to tell dcfs I'm taking more time off. They all say 'But you work for yourself, you can close whenever you want to!" Ah yeh, not as simple as that.
LK5kids 07:25 AM 12-30-2018
Do it!!! Everyone needs time off!!
LysesKids 07:39 AM 12-30-2018
That's good to hear. My family's already been asking me when I can take time off this summer to go visit my dd in Seattle but I need a good chunk for that, not just an extended weekend. I told them it's too soon after Christmas vacation to tell dcfs I'm taking more time off. They all say 'But you work for yourself, you can close whenever you want to!" Ah yeh, not as simple as that.
I always handed out a letter to families the first week in January stating planned closing for the entire upcoming year - and that was right after having 10 days off lol.

I didn't worry about it because they knew that my next planned day off wasn't for months; in my policies it aways stated this is how I work & that I give out dates way in advance, so there be no reason not to have backup already...
Tags:summer, summer - tme off, time off
Reply Up