Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mother's Day Gift Reactions
Lyss 11:58 AM 05-11-2013
Just wondering after the "Share your Mother's Day Projects" thread how the reactions from moms went (if you got to see them)?

Of course Friday was one of those rare days when all the DCDs picked up so I didn't see any reactions. Of course I didn't really go all out this year so I wasn't expecting much of a reaction but some of you had some great ones!

PS I'm not saying I expect a "thank you," (with some parents, I'm more likely to find bigfoot than hear that phrase) I'm just interested to see how it went
kelsey's kids 11:59 AM 05-11-2013
So far not even a thank you
daycarediva 12:13 PM 05-11-2013
One thank you email. 7 nothings. I don't do it for the parents or the thank yous though, I do it for the kids. I LOVED the looks on their little faces when they handed Mommy their gifts.
MyAngels 12:21 PM 05-11-2013
Every parent, mom or dad, was definitely appreciative, I even got a couple of misty eyes. I'm like Diva though, I do it because the kids get so excited and it's fun for them.
TheGoodLife 12:27 PM 05-11-2013
My first mom that picked up her kids didn't say TY, look appreciative, or ANYTHING! In fact, I only got a "you too" when I said Happy Mother's Day as she was getting ready to leave. My other DCM said a quick TY. My newest DCM text me a very nice TY that evening, as DCD picked up their baby (3 months). It was not the best experience (we did footprint butterflies and my oldest painted a clay imprint of his handprint) in the kids' making or the moms' receiving. Oh well, hopefully next year will be better! Happy Mothers Day, ladies!
Patches 12:31 PM 05-11-2013
I sent them home on Thursday just in case they didn't show up on Friday and they all got sent home with DCD except one. She said, "Aww, how cute" and the next day one mom said thank you to me. The rest...not a word
spud912 01:19 PM 05-11-2013
Well we wrapped the presents so I didn't get any immediate reactions. I wrapped the canvas in regular white paper and the kids painted tissue paper with watercolor paints. Then I taped the tissue paper on top of the regular wrapping and the kids helped me stamp "Happy Mothers Day" in gold on top of the tissue paper. Then they picked out some ribbon and I tied it to the present.

So far I received two really appreciative texts and I'm sure my other two parents will mention something. I feel very blessed to have a super great bunch of families who are extremely appreciative.

To be honest, though, I want my parents to thank their children, not me. The kids did the majority of the work and it's their present to their mom, not a present from me. I only supply the materials and provide guidance .
Sunshine74 01:31 PM 05-11-2013
Ours were wrapped, except for DCG 's who got picked up early. Her mom loved it, and said thank you and Happy Mother's Day. Everyone looked appreciative and said thank you when I handed the wrapped gift to them. I wonder if anyone will say anything on Monday.
Cradle2crayons 01:53 PM 05-11-2013
Lol one mom failed to let me know that dcg wasn't going to be with me on Friday... Until after I had out her to bed hrs day night... So I told her I was sorry that she wasn't going to get the present until we could finish them on Monday...

So mom texts me today and wanted to know could she bring her daughter over here for a few hours on SUNDAY so that her daughter could finish the present...

Now don't get me wrong, I love my kids. But this one is a different sort of situation and I don't make a red dime on her and most of the time I end up losing ten bucks a week just to watch her.

I rarely get a day off ever.maybe one Sunday a month...and tomorrow is that day... I did feel a little bad telling mom know because I know it's about the kids not the mom... But the kid is three and really has no care at all about Mother's Day...and heck I spent quite a bit on each child... So last week I paid mom $20 bucks to keep her kid lol

Gosh I hope y'all don't think I'm a meanie for saying no..

But the mom of my 15 month old won't get hers until this afternoon because her kiddo was an overnight last night so we did the project this morning...

My other mom said thanks as she grabbed the gift bag....

The sibling mom never said a thing... Someone else picked up
e.j. 02:03 PM 05-11-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Are you kidding? I can't believe that dcm had the nerve to ask you to take her on Sunday - Mother's Day, no less! You were not being mean. Please don't spend your weekend feeling guilty.
Cradle2crayons 02:10 PM 05-11-2013
I don't feel guilty towards the mom at all... And if the girl really was upset about it ... It'd be different...

Her mom is the type that gets drunk on Saturday nits and stumbles into church on Sunday hung over....

She also only allows the dad to keep the girl on nights it's convenient for her to go get drunk. She only drinks on the weekend.

I don't have proof but I think she lays on the couch sleeping every morning while her child is watching tv....then drops her off here at 130 ... And then complains she doesn't get enough time to spend with her child...

She's quite the piece of art. Long time ago I used to have issues with payment and pick up times, but after realizing how much that cost her, now I don't have any payment issues.

She's also one of those who never takes her kid outside. She used to drop her off here at 130 and the child hasn't had lunch...because she slept all morning and didnt feed the girl breakfast until 1000 am. I put my foot down on that too.
Lyss 02:26 PM 05-11-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
One thank you email. 7 nothings. I don't do it for the parents or the thank yous though, I do it for the kids. I LOVED the looks on their little faces when they handed Mommy their gifts.
This is what I was most looking forward to, I love the proud little expressions they get. Darn DCDs for picking up! Oh well I got off early Friday and that is worth not seeing it!
daycare 02:56 PM 05-11-2013
1 out of 14......

But I dont really care if they say anything. THe kids had a blast making them
Cradle2crayons 03:12 PM 05-11-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
1 out of 14......

But I dont really care if they say anything. THe kids had a blast making them
Lol I did gifts with all the other kids Friday but did them with the 15 month old today... And while doing the handprint press into the mold... And while painting her hand for handprint art she gave me some hilarious looks lol... I think she thought I'd lost my mind... But she was very cooperative.
LaLa1923 03:27 PM 05-11-2013
Lol one mom failed to let me know that dcg wasn't going to be with me on Friday... Until after I had out her to bed hrs day night... So I told her I was sorry that she wasn't going to get the present until we could finish them on Monday...

So mom texts me today and wanted to know could she bring her daughter over here for a few hours on SUNDAY so that her daughter could finish the present...

Now don't get me wrong, I love my kids. But this one is a different sort of situation and I don't make a red dime on her and most of the time I end up losing ten bucks a week just to watch her.

I rarely get a day off ever.maybe one Sunday a month...and tomorrow is that day... I did feel a little bad telling mom know because I know it's about the kids not the mom... But the kid is three and really has no care at all about Mother's Day...and heck I spent quite a bit on each child... So last week I paid mom $20 bucks to keep her kid lol

But the mom of my 15 month old won't get hers until this afternoon because her kiddo was an overnight last night so we did the project this morning...

My other mom said thanks as she grabbed the gift bag....

The sibling mom never said a thing... Someone else picked up
her mom wanted her to come over on sunday??? geez

why don't you make anything on here?? you have her everyday? thats crazy
LaLa1923 03:30 PM 05-11-2013
I got 1 thank you, I handed mine out on Thursday.

I got a card from another mom, it was sooo sweet and $50!
Cradle2crayons 03:36 PM 05-11-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
her mom wanted her to come over on sunday??? geez

why don't you make anything on here?? you have her everyday? thats crazy
What do you mean when you asked why I don't make anything on here??

I don't have that dcg every single day... But I have her five days a week and then one overnight a week.....

The 15 month old I have three days a week and one overnight date night two or three times a month.
LaLa1923 05:18 PM 05-11-2013
What do you mean when you asked why I don't make anything on here??

I don't have that dcg every single day... But I have her five days a week and then one overnight a week.....

The 15 month old I have three days a week and one overnight date night two or three times a month.

I'm sorry, I meant why don't you make anything from her. That's terrible....I hope you have a good mother's day!!
Hunni Bee 05:28 PM 05-11-2013
The parents where I work are very appreciative. Many of them said thank you (we did a little goodie as well), all of them wished me a happy mothers day (even though Im currently still only the mother of a very acrobatic tadpole named Ava) and several of them gave me little gifts for Teacher Appreciation Week. I am always pleasantly surprised.
Cradle2crayons 05:41 PM 05-11-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I'm sorry, I meant why don't you make anything from her. That's terrible....I hope you have a good mother's day!!

Ok I'll answer that but warning its very off topic lol

Lol it's a long story but she only pays me 50 a week. She's one of my first clients once we bought this house last year. At the time I was only watching her daughter for like two hours a day, five days a week. She dropped her off at 3pm and her boyfriend picked up the dcg around 500 or 530 pm. I didn't have to feed her daughter. Basically 10 hours a week. So I charged her only $50 a week, or $10 bucks a day.

That was going fine, then about four months ago, she broke up with her boyfriend. Then shortly thereafter, she got transferred and had to pick up more hours because she became single income. There's no bays daddy support either. She never took him to court for support, but even if she did have an order he still wouldn't pay. Anyway, long story short she makes ten bucks too much for any assistance either and she's young.

So then 10 hours a week turned into 50 hours a week and at minimum wage I knew there was no way she could afford the regular rate. By that time, the dcg had been here a year and had become like one of my own. So I still get $50 a week, but now I watch her 10 hours a day instead of 10 hours a week.

Sorry so long and off topic but that should answer your question. 10 bucks a day barely feeds her two meals and two snacks not to mention since she's here so much during our family time, she gets all the befits my kids do. For instance if I take my kids to get snow cones, dcg gets one too. If we go to dollar tree, dcg gets something too. At the end of the regular week, I don't make a dime from her and in fact hit the negative.
Michelle 06:05 PM 05-11-2013
Every parent said thank you and one parent made ME a gift with their kids cute little handprints on a flower pot filled with candy and flowers and another gave me a gift card for a nail salon and another made me cupcakes !!! I totally wasn't expecting anything!!! Love these parents
Michelle 07:53 PM 05-11-2013

Lol it's a long story but she only pays me 50 a week. She's one of my first clients once we bought this house last year. At the time I was only watching her daughter for like two hours a day, five days a week. She dropped her off at 3pm and her boyfriend picked up the dcg around 500 or 530 pm. I didn't have to feed her daughter. Basically 10 hours a week. So I charged her only $50 a week, or $10 bucks a day.

That was going fine, then about four months ago, she broke up with her boyfriend. Then shortly thereafter, she got transferred and had to pick up more hours because she became single income. There's no bays daddy support either. She never took him to court for support, but even if she did have an order he still wouldn't pay. Anyway, long story short she makes ten bucks too much for any assistance either and she's young.

So then 10 hours a week turned into 50 hours a week and at minimum wage I knew there was no way she could afford the regular rate. By that time, the dcg had been here a year and had become like one of my own. So I still get $50 a week, but now I watch her 10 hours a day instead of 10 hours a week.

Sorry so long and off topic but that should answer your question. 10 bucks a day barely feeds her two meals and two snacks not to mention since she's here so much during our family time, she gets all the befits my kids do. For instance if I take my kids to get snow cones, dcg gets one too. If we go to dollar tree, dcg gets something too. At the end of the regular week, I don't make a dime from her and in fact hit the negative.
wow...you are such a blessing for this family!

I am so glad she is with you and you never know , things might change and she might be able to get on assistance or her money situation may change.
I do the same thing as you.. if my kids get something.. then so do they
Cradle2crayons 07:57 PM 05-11-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
wow...you are such a blessing for this family!

I am so glad she is with you and you never know , things might change and she might be able to get on assistance or her money situation may change.
I do the same thing as you.. if my kids get something.. then so do they
Not sure about being a blessing to the mom, she's in it to get Childcare for nothing. But the dcg... She loves me, she needs me.... And she's always grateful. She thinks she's one of my own... My husband says she's our daughter from another mother lol
PitterPatter 09:17 PM 05-11-2013
I am finally blessed to have 2 good families with thankful Mothers included! Been a long time coming but I got them! My parents thanked me and even complimented me for such a wonderful thoughtful gift they could cherish. I knew they would like it so when the craft didn't get finished yesterday due to my printer issue, I invited them back to finish the project today, free of charge of course. Mom's love the free days I give, the gift was the icing on the cake today.

I'm sorry to the providers efforts that go without a thank you. Let me just say thank you for them! Because you are helping teach kids how to share, how to love and spending that quality time with them that they may not even get at home. I have been there for years. Let me just say that even though the parents don't thank you the kids surely enjoy your efforts and are proud of what they create for parents. That's how I got through hard times. Especially the many Christmas's I spent lots of money and time... we do it for the kids. I see thank you on their faces when they are proud of what they make, excited with what we buy, and just happy for time shared together etc.
TheGoodLife 11:36 PM 05-11-2013
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I'm sorry to the providers efforts that go without a thank you. Let me just say thank you for them! Because you are helping teach kids how to share, how to love and spending that quality time with them that they may not even get at home. I have been there for years. Let me just say that even though the parents don't thank you the kids surely enjoy your efforts and are proud of what they create for parents. That's how I got through hard times. Especially the many Christmas's I spent lots of money and time... we do it for the kids. I see thank you on their faces when they are proud of what they make, excited with what we buy, and just happy for time shared together etc.
Very sweet!
MyAngels 06:36 AM 05-12-2013

I've done something similar in the past and just wanted to say, it may not come in a monetary form, but you will receive "payment" some day, most likely in the form of blessings of one kind or another .
Evansmom 11:41 AM 05-12-2013
I finally have nice clients too after years of having 2 long term clients who were so unappreciative. One mom came at pick up on Friday with a beautiful bouquet of wild flowers and herbs for me that smelled wonderful and a sweet note about being her daughter's first teacher. Then she opened our present to her and hugged it to her chest saying TY a ton we made her a canvas with her 18 mo old's hand print on it and some brown sugar scrub. My other mom paid me too much extra for watching her kids an extra day. She loves her gifts too.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!
Willow 11:56 AM 05-12-2013
Two of my three moms took pictures of their gifts, posted them to facebook, tagged me in them and commented about how awesome the presents AND I am.

Made my day
lovemykidstoo 01:27 PM 05-12-2013
I did hear via a text from my one mom about how much she loved the gift that her son made and thanked me. They are on vacation next week and won't be here so she opened it up early. I'm assuming the other ones are just opening theirs up today. I usually don't hear anything about the mothers day/fathers day/christmas gifts though.
Lavender 01:39 PM 05-12-2013
One mom got teary-eyed when she saw it and the next day (I sent them home thurs) told me she got teary eyed again that morning thinking about it. Another picked up after I left and told my assistant that not only did she love it, she had told a friend she would love a gift like that when her friend was trying to think of a gift for her class to make. Several other moms said they loved it too.

I made butterfly footprints on canvas with a mother poem next to it. I think for father's day I'm going to have them color dollar store mugs and bake them. I have mobile infants so I'm limited in what we can do.
Patches 10:29 PM 05-12-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Two of my three moms took pictures of their gifts, posted them to facebook, tagged me in them and commented about how awesome the presents AND I am.

Made my day

blandino 05:31 AM 05-13-2013
I had positive reactions from the mothers as we passed them out, but I only 2 actual "thank yous" towards me. One mom texted how much he loved her plant - she is our newest daycare mom (sometimes I feel like excitement a out it's like that is the higehest at first).

I had one DCD who forgot his gift. We called him within 5 minutes, and he said he wasn't returning to pick it up. It would be fine until next week.
LittleD 06:06 AM 05-13-2013
I put them in the dcks bags. no one said anything but I did get a happy mothers day text from one family. At 820am. I was sleeping lol
williams2008 06:11 AM 05-13-2013
The 1 year olds here did handprints on each side of a Mother's Day poem and baked brownies for their moms. Guess what I found this morning in one of the kids bag???? You guessed it, their Mother's Day gift

With the 2 &3 year olds here they made candle holders and did the same handprint and Mother's Day poem, but no one has said a word about it.

I'm not a bit surprised, they never act as if they are concerned about what their kid does during the day. I have to make them talk at drop off and pick up to discuss our day!
originalkat 06:18 AM 05-13-2013
We did Muffins for Moms on Friday morning and all the moms came for muffins and Juice. Then the kids gave their moms their gifts (painted mugs (1.50 craft kit at Micheal's). They were so excited to give them out. The moms seemed appreciative.
Crazy8 10:04 AM 05-13-2013
I sent home the gifts wrapped.... got one text Friday from mom thanking me, and another on Sunday. Other 3 I haven't heard from yet, but expect 2 will thank me when they see them. The other one came in today but didn't say a word and I didn't expect her to.
Sunchimes 10:55 AM 05-13-2013
We are suppose to get reactions? I didn't know that. It's never happened here. Unless you count the kids who are bouncing off the wall, giddy with excitement, who can't wait for pick up to give Mom her gift. The adults have never had any reaction.
melilley 11:00 AM 05-13-2013
All of my moms said "thank you"! All but one were texts, but the dad's picked up so the moms didn't get to see them right away.
crazydaycarelady 11:06 AM 05-13-2013
2 thank yous out of 9. Unlike the others I want a thank you, I think no thank you is rude! I went above and beyond a regular craft project for Mothers Day gifts, in time and expense.
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:09 AM 05-13-2013
Mostly Moms picked up. The children wanted to gift them at pick-up, which was perfectly fine.

The Moms gushed about how beautiful the plates they drew on (and had their handprint traced on) were to the children. They told them their cards were lovely as well. The cards were very cute since they wrote "Happy Mother's Day" on them in whatever way they wanted (if they choose to). So, many said "Mother's Day Happy" or "Happy Day Mother's" . I loved it. Lots of them said "MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM" all over them. They gave their children hugs and the children were grinning ear to ear.

I had one Mom wish ME a Happy Mother's Day, which was very nice. That was as far as any sort of thank you went or any sort of recognition for me. I told each and every one of them to have a wonderful Mother's Day and they all told me that they did this morning at drop off. The same one that wished me a Happy Mother's Day inquired about how mine went, which again is very nice!
cherryhill 03:03 PM 05-13-2013
I only have four families, all of them said thank you. I have never had parents so unthoughtful. Some of the things I read on this board amazes me.
slorey 03:10 PM 05-13-2013
I sent the gifts home wrapped on Friday. Neither of the moms said anything about them or even acknowledged them today. I am hoping it just slipped their minds. Still, a simple thank you would be nice!
lovemykidstoo 04:18 PM 05-13-2013
I would say 1/2 of my moms said something today about it. The other 1/2 said nothing. It does irritate me because I also go above and beyond normal crafts and do trips to the store to get everything, wrap it etc. Funny thing is, the mom that irritates me the most normally was the first one to text me to say how much she loved it. Thought that was great!
AmyKidsCo 06:00 PM 05-13-2013
My projects didn't get dry until this morning so they went home today. One mom opened it before leaving and raved about it, the other took hers home and I probably won't hear anything about it. The last 2 moms are my daughter and daughter-in-law who both loved it, but don't really "count".
Reply Up