Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inflatable Ball Pit?
CedarCreek 01:48 PM 06-10-2014
Hi everyone! I hope no one minds me posting here since I'm not a provider anymore.

I was wondering what you all thought of inflatable ball pits? We just moved and our new provider has one for her littles and I feel terrible because my boys (age 4 and 9) popped it while playing in it!

I of course am going to replace her broken piece of property but in doing so I was also going to suggest that it might not be the best to to have around for her dc kiddos, they seem like they would pop easily and kind of also like a breeding ground for germs..unless of course shes cleaning all of the plastic balls.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to phrase all of that or should I just replace it and zip it?

Thanks, ladies!
CedarCreek 01:49 PM 06-10-2014
Oh, and also does anyone know of a good one to replace it with? I've never purchased one.
Blackcat31 01:54 PM 06-10-2014
Hi!! Long time!

I have a ball pit. Its in an inflatable pool.

Unless your children were doing something inappropriate, I would not feel obligated to replace it.

If your provider allowed your kids to play in it, then it breaking was just one of those things...comes with the territory..kwim?

I only require parents to pay for broken or damaged items IF their child deliberately broke it AND only after multiple warnings or if they were an older SA child that broke something purposely.

Anyways...you can probably buy an inflatable ball pit at Walmart.
I saw them there the other day.

On a side note, how have you been? What is life like on the "other side"?
CedarCreek 02:07 PM 06-10-2014
I feel bad because this is her first time getting into home dc and they already broke something! She will most likely see in time that many of her things will be broken

They weren't trying to pop it, they were just too big for it (its honestly meant for up to 2 yrs) I did tell her I dont have a problem with her saying "No, you cannot play with that" to them. Like I said, shes new. I'm sure shes being too nice!

Life is good on the other side!

I do miss coming here and talking to all of you ladies though! We moved about an hour away from our old town (and family drama) and I was asked to come and work for a staffing agency for the dental field since they didn't have anyone on staff who had actually worked in the field! I really love my new job. I miss being with my sons all day like I could be with dc but this just isn't the time for me to be in that line of work. I was getting too irritated with the rule breaking and such. Maybe when I'm a calmer person I can pursue it again. But I dont know if that will happen.

The boys are good, our oldest (special needs) just turned 10 but is unfortunately going through a mess of health issues. We're working though it.

How are you? I still fantasize about moving to northern Minnesota!!
Blackcat31 02:52 PM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I feel bad because this is her first time getting into home dc and they already broke something! She will most likely see in time that many of her things will be broken

They weren't trying to pop it, they were just too big for it (its honestly meant for up to 2 yrs) I did tell her I dont have a problem with her saying "No, you cannot play with that" to them. Like I said, shes new. I'm sure shes being too nice!

Life is good on the other side!

I do miss coming here and talking to all of you ladies though! We moved about an hour away from our old town (and family drama) and I was asked to come and work for a staffing agency for the dental field since they didn't have anyone on staff who had actually worked in the field! I really love my new job. I miss being with my sons all day like I could be with dc but this just isn't the time for me to be in that line of work. I was getting too irritated with the rule breaking and such. Maybe when I'm a calmer person I can pursue it again. But I dont know if that will happen.

The boys are good, our oldest (special needs) just turned 10 but is unfortunately going through a mess of health issues. We're working though it.

How are you? I still fantasize about moving to northern Minnesota!!
You can always point her in our direction...we can teach her the ropes and help her backbone grow!

Glad to hear you and your kids are doing well! Sounds like although you aren't home with them, life is still much calmer.

You are sooo right....correcting the bad behavior gets tough/frustrating at times...SO NOT talking about the DCK's

Life's been good here... I've been busy with daycare of course and all my hobbies keep me plenty occupied on my off time.

MN is still nice but those darn mosquitos make me re-think where we live every summer! Maybe someday since you won't be moving her, you will all get up here for a visit!
Michael 03:07 PM 06-10-2014
I actually thought the title was Inflatable Pit Bull.
NeedaVaca 03:49 PM 06-10-2014
You will be her best client! Sorry to hear about the medical issues with DS, hopefully you get it worked out quickly
Is it bedtime yet? 04:06 PM 06-10-2014
I have never had one that lasted more than a week
TwinKristi 04:11 PM 06-10-2014
I would ask her where she got it and if you already offered to replace it just replace it but like you said, they shouldn't have been in it anyway and don't hesitate to lay down the law when it comes to safety because you aren't going to be replacing everything she let's them play with that they shouldn't be. Imagine if they broke a Pack N Play because she let them jump in it? Not much different!
I've seen them at Target and on Amazon for under $30.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Turtle Heroes Tower Playland by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUOE9GO/..._zd5Ltb00TEX13

Check out this item at Target:
http://www.target.com/p/-/A-14278365?force-full-site=1
CedarCreek 06:05 PM 06-10-2014
Thanks everyone! I didn't think most of then lasted too long and I do think they should not have been in it in the first place but I have already offered to replace it so, oh well.

Thank you for the links, TwinKristi!

I have a separate issue now, maybe I should make a new post..

This is the boys 2nd day and today she told Dh that my oldest was "saying bad words". He asked what and she said he said "what the hell" and "fag". I am in complete shock! I have never heard my ds say those things. I think she might have missed understood him because he does say "what the heck" and he has braces on top of a speech problem so I think she misheard him. The second word is what is really blowing my mind! We have never said that and he doesn't watch tv or anything that is inappropriate for him to have heard that. He adamantly denies that he said it and even asked Dh on the way home what that word meant.

Anyway, I'm planning on talking to her myself tomorrow to try and figure out what happened. Could she really have misheard him twice? What do you do if your child says a bad word?

It's quite embarrassing and confusing!
TwinKristi 06:36 PM 06-10-2014
Hmmm, what are the childcare options in your area? I mean, I don't know what to say,.. If that's completely out of character for your child then I would probably just give it one last chance and then look for someone else.
melilley 06:55 PM 06-10-2014
My ds got a ball pit for his b-day. It was broken within a week from the dck's. Mine was a little one and I just looked it up and the age range says 2-15. My ds was 1 at the time and all the other kids were 3 and under so I think they just rip/pop easily.

I didn't say anything to the parent of the child who ripped it, but then again, I expect things to get broken. It sucks, but happens all the time and it wasn't intentional. Boy if I had a dollar for everything that the dck's broke, I think I would be rich. Well semi rich at least...lol
Play Care 03:09 AM 06-11-2014
I would look for other child care options, if possible.

I'm sure this provider is nice and means well, but I don't want my kids to be any provider's guinea pig It also sounds as if your kids are older and could use a more seasoned provider to make sure their needs are being met.
CedarCreek 06:19 AM 06-11-2014
That's sort of what I was thinking, give it another shot and then look around some at other options.

We just have a hard time finding care for him around here. The centers are all turning us away because he is tube fed and they all say they don't have anyone available to feed him.

The language is COMPLETELY out of character for him. I told her that this morning and also mentioned that we were more than a little shocked to hear that had happened. I talked to DS about it and he still denies he said it. We do not use that word. It's up there with the worst words you can say IMO. That doesn't mean he couldn't have gotten it from somewhere else, I'm just not sure where.

Today is day 3...I guess we'll see what they get into today.
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
That's sort of what I was thinking, give it another shot and then look around some at other options.

We just have a hard time finding care for him around here. The centers are all turning us away because he is tube fed and they all say they don't have anyone available to feed him.

The language is COMPLETELY out of character for him. I told her that this morning and also mentioned that we were more than a little shocked to hear that had happened. I talked to DS about it and he still denies he said it. We do not use that word. It's up there with the worst words you can say IMO. That doesn't mean he couldn't have gotten it from somewhere else, I'm just not sure where.

Today is day 3...I guess we'll see what they get into today.
I would have a discussion with the provider AND your child at the same time.

If he is adamant that he did not say it, then the provider needs to say when and how she heard it.

NOT saying either the provider or the child is lying but sometimes having the discussion together will hold ALL parties accountable.

Your DS's behavior during the discussion will help you know too if he is or isn't lying and discussing it all together in one group will show the provider you take your child's behavior seriously as well as wanting everyone to have the opportunity to be completely honest...kwim?
CedarCreek 06:37 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would have a discussion with the provider AND your child at the same time.

If he is adamant that he did not say it, then the provider needs to say when and how she heard it.

NOT saying either the provider or the child is lying but sometimes having the discussion together will hold ALL parties accountable.

Your DS's behavior during the discussion will help you know too if he is or isn't lying and discussing it all together in one group will show the provider you take your child's behavior seriously as well as wanting everyone to have the opportunity to be completely honest...kwim?
That's a good idea, we may have to do that this afternoon.

I have a pretty good feel for when he's lying. If I ask him if he did something and he DID do it, he does that whole wont-look-you-in-the-eye-and-mumble thing.

When he is asked if he did something and he did not do it, he usually gets really wide eyed and sounds shocked when he answers "No!"

But kids habits change so who knows. DH said my ds heard the provider telling him about the incident and my DS came to the door and was saying, "Dad, I DID NOT say that!"

Either way, you're right. A group conversation needs to go down.
Tags:inflatable ball pit, personal opinions
Reply Up