Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Church Nursery
Unregistered 12:35 PM 07-15-2015
I am not licensed. I have a family who has 1 infant I set up to care for at the end of the month.
I usually go to a women's church group on Thursday mornings and my kids go to the nursery at church. I don't want to give up this activity.
How do I approach this with parents? I want to be polite but at the same time. I have decided that this is an activity that I do not want to give up.
Blackcat31 12:47 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am not licensed. I have a family who has 1 infant I set up to care for at the end of the month.
I usually go to a women's church group on Thursday mornings and my kids go to the nursery at church. I don't want to give up this activity.
How do I approach this with parents? I want to be polite but at the same time. I have decided that this is an activity that I do not want to give up.
Just let them know you have a prior obligation on Thursday nights.

They have two choices, keep him/find alternate care those times OR agree to allow you to take him with you on Thursdays.

Don't ask... just present the options and let them choose.
LysesKids 12:50 PM 07-15-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I personally would have an issue with it because I am paying you to watch my child but then you plan on passing said child off for a few hours to someone I do not know so that you can attend an activity @ church... one that doesn't involve my child

it's one thing if you were teaching a VBS class my child would be in, but sending my kid to a nursery so you can do your own thing? nope.
I would find another provider
Thriftylady 03:44 PM 07-15-2015
I wouldn't do that as a provider. I wouldn't feel right about it. To me providing childcare is a job, and if I did that I wouldn't be doing my job but would be getting paid for it. You can do as BC suggested and see what happens, but personally I wouldn't.
finsup 05:02 PM 07-15-2015
I would tell the family "Thursday mornings I go to a women's group at such and such a church and my children go to the nursery there. I would be happy to introduce you and bring your children as well or will be available after at such and such a time." If you have a back up person, mention that as well.
Blackcat31 05:32 AM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I wouldn't do that as a provider. I wouldn't feel right about it. To me providing childcare is a job, and if I did that I wouldn't be doing my job but would be getting paid for it. You can do as BC suggested and see what happens, but personally I wouldn't.
I see what the OP is doing as nothing different than other providers that take their daycare kids on family errands or to their own appointments.

I don't transport kids. ever. but I don't view it as any different.
Jujube835 05:45 AM 07-16-2015
As a parent I would be uncomfortable because I don't know the people that work in your church nursery.

My children will be completely alone with them but I don't know if they've been background checked, if they're smokers/drug users, whether they're of responsible character, etc.

It would be different if you would be in the nursery as well. But I would be really uncomfortable since you're leaving my children alone with people that I've never met.
cheerfuldom 06:26 AM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I see what the OP is doing as nothing different than other providers that take their daycare kids on family errands or to their own appointments.

I don't transport kids. ever. but I don't view it as any different.
I view it as different because the provider is not directly supervising the child at the church whereas she would be if she was running errands.

But for the parents point of view, I would not want to pay a provider who would then spend one morning a week NOT doing what I am paying for and exposing my kid to strangers at the church, other kids, other kids' illnesses, etc. Be prepared for the daycare parent to have an issue with this. If you are planning to be a daycare provider, you wont be able to plan things during your work hours, same as any other job UNLESS you state at the interview about this situation so the parent can give an informed decision.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by Jujube835:
As a parent I would be uncomfortable because I don't know the people that work in your church nursery.

My children will be completely alone with them but I don't know if they've been background checked, if they're smokers/drug users, whether they're of responsible character, etc.

It would be different if you would be in the nursery as well. But I would be really uncomfortable since you're leaving my children alone with people that I've never met.
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I view it as different because the provider is not directly supervising the child at the church whereas she would be if she was running errands.

But for the parents point of view, I would not want to pay a provider who would then spend one morning a week NOT doing what I am paying for and exposing my kid to strangers at the church, other kids, other kids' illnesses, etc. Be prepared for the daycare parent to have an issue with this. If you are planning to be a daycare provider, you wont be able to plan things during your work hours, same as any other job UNLESS you state at the interview about this situation so the parent can give an informed decision.
good point!

I don't transport kids or take them off site so I hadn't considered the difference but you both brought up a very good point.

So I'll just repeat what I said earlier....OP simply needs to tell parents this is when I am and am not available and let the chips fall where they may. Or she could ask the parents if they mind if baby went with to the church group....you never know, some parents are A-Okay with that type of thing.

Bottom line though is the people that should be having this discussion and finding a solution that they are comfortable with is the provider and the parents.
AmyKidsCo 01:26 PM 07-16-2015
I wouldn't do this because if something were to happen to the children while they were in the nursery you'd probably be liable because you were the one who took them there. The only way I'd do it would be if the parents made arrangements with the church to drop the children off at the nursery and I picked them up from there, so my responsibility didn't start until after the Bible study.

I know I'm paranoid, but no matter how much we think "It'll never happen to me" and "My parents would never (be upset about _________, sue me for _______, report me for ________)" it CAN happen to you and your parents WILL (be upset, sue you and/or report you). When push comes to shove they put themselves and their families first, not us.
Thriftylady 01:37 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I wouldn't do this because if something were to happen to the children while they were in the nursery you'd probably be liable because you were the one who took them there. The only way I'd do it would be if the parents made arrangements with the church to drop the children off at the nursery and I picked them up from there, so my responsibility didn't start until after the Bible study.

I know I'm paranoid, but no matter how much we think "It'll never happen to me" and "My parents would never (be upset about _________, sue me for _______, report me for ________)" it CAN happen to you and your parents WILL (be upset, sue you and/or report you). When push comes to shove they put themselves and their families first, not us.
This is my thought also. That and as I said earlier, if I am saying I will do childcare, I feel like I am the one who should be doing it. But I don't even like to bring a sub in, as I worry about things when I do.
Tags:church daycare, nursery
Reply Up