Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can A Daycare Cancell My Child's Enrollment?
Anna_Boulger80 12:29 PM 12-14-2016
My husband and I were going thru some nasty divorce when he filed a TRO, later it was dismissed by a judge. My husband made sure daycare was heavily involved in all this mess. Now they are saying it's too much trouble to deal with who can and who can't pick my child up and saying she can no longer continue going there? I am not ok with that, and currently in conversation with attorney to take matter to court, if necessary. Did anyone have a similar experience?
midaycare 12:35 PM 12-14-2016
Generally, yes a daycare can. A daycare chooses who can attend, a parent doesn't choose the daycare (contrary to what parents often think). Some exceptions may include state funded daycare programs.

Sorry for the trouble you're going through
Rockgirl 12:39 PM 12-14-2016
Assuming you took this to court and won (doubtful this would happen), would you want your child in a daycare where the provider wanted to terminate care, and was forced to keep providing care?
Anna_Boulger80 12:43 PM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Assuming you took this to court and won (doubtful this would happen), would you want your child in a daycare where the provider wanted to terminate care, and was forced to keep providing care?
Good point. The teachers are great there, the problem is with the owner (of course). I really like the place, and I feel like switching places will be a very traumatic experience for my daughter...
DaveA 12:43 PM 12-14-2016
Sorry for the mess you're going through, but for the most part they can terminate care when they feel like. They offer a service you contract for, and as long as that contract's termination policy is followed they can choose to stop providing that service to you. I would advise against taking legal action. I doubt you would win and even if you did, then what? Do you want your child someplace that had to be forced to take them? Also word travels in this industry- it will be harder to find future care if you go this route.

From a personal standpoint, . From a professional one, find new care.
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Anna_Boulger80:
My husband and I were going thru some nasty divorce when he filed a TRO, later it was dismissed by a judge. My husband made sure daycare was heavily involved in all this mess. Now they are saying it's too much trouble to deal with who can and who can't pick my child up and saying she can no longer continue going there? I am not ok with that, and currently in conversation with attorney to take matter to court, if necessary. Did anyone have a similar experience?
I'm sorry you are having issues but you can't force a self-employed business owner to take your child.

As a self-employed business owner I can terminate at will for ANY reason I feel like it. My reasons may not be professional or logical or even a big deal but for all intents and purposes I can term a family for wearing blue on a Tuesday if I wanted.

Barring any legal discrimination, you really don't have a premise for a law suit and are simply wasting the courts time.

Like a previous poster said, why would you place your child in an environment where she (and her parent's drama) is unwanted and unwelcome? That might open up a law suit from your ex as I'd question your parental choices if I were in his shoes.

I don't mean that rudely or harshly, just pointing out how he might see it.

Again, I am sorry you are having issues but in the best interests of your child, I'd move on and find another child care that will care for her willingly.
Rockgirl 12:47 PM 12-14-2016
Good point. The teachers are great there, the problem is with the owner (of course). I really like the place, and I feel like switching places will be a very traumatic experience for my daughter...
Yes, I understand. I agree that it would be best for your child to not have to undergo another change. I hope everything works out well for you.
NeedaVaca 01:11 PM 12-14-2016
You mention your husband made sure the daycare was heavily involved in the mess, that's most likely the root of it. As a daycare provider I don't even want to hear about it, I would term if they were trying to involve me. My job is to care for the children, I do not want to hear all the details of a nasty divorce, it's not my business.
Anna_Boulger80 01:20 PM 12-14-2016
Teachers take care of children. You take care of you business. You remind me of an ostrich...All this sensitive naggers that don't want to "deal" with what is a common thing such as divorce..
Pestle 01:23 PM 12-14-2016

bklsmum 01:41 PM 12-14-2016
Teachers take care of children. You take care of you business. You remind me of an ostrich...All this sensitive naggers that don't want to "deal" with what is a common thing such as divorce..
YOU, YOURSELF called it a MESS. Are you kidding me with this? I'm wondering if it is really the divorce mess causing the termination.
midaycare 01:44 PM 12-14-2016
TRO actually isn't that common. Divorce may be, but sounds like the situation was quite hostile. I would not want a hostile situation around the other kids & my family.
Heart12 01:57 PM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by needavaca:
you mention your husband made sure the daycare was heavily involved in the mess, that's most likely the root of it. As a daycare provider i don't even want to hear about it, i would term if they were trying to involve me. My job is to care for the children, i do not want to hear all the details of a nasty divorce, it's not my business.
this.
Cat Herder 02:18 PM 12-14-2016
You remind me of an ostrich....
So, that's a new one.
Attached: ostrich_1.jpg (103.6 KB) 
LysesKids 02:39 PM 12-14-2016
Actually most home providers do not get involved in divorce cases; I have a strict policy (online no less in my website) that strictly forbids parents from involving me in their personal crap. I use to serve those court documents in my prior career and some cases get messy. The last thing you want is for the one safe place for your child to get involved because then it takes a toll on care for all the other kids and possibly the providers home life also too... the fact your husband involved the daycare is quite possibly why they no longer want your child in care... I know I wouldn't

We deal with divorced parents, true, it doesn't mean we will allow ourselves to be dragged into court (causing issues with our income & problems with care for other families) or the messiness of parents fighting. That is not part of our job so yeah... I would terminate care also
daycarediva 02:54 PM 12-14-2016
You cannot sue a provider or center into caring for your child.

Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
You mention your husband made sure the daycare was heavily involved in the mess, that's most likely the root of it. As a daycare provider I don't even want to hear about it, I would term if they were trying to involve me. My job is to care for the children, I do not want to hear all the details of a nasty divorce, it's not my business.
Exactly, divorce is common. I have had many enrolled parents divorce while their children were in care and had ZERO issues. My place is to care for the child, not get in the middle of a messy divorce.

It isn't our job to deal with your divorce, yes we take care of children. Not adults acting like children.

Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Actually most home providers do not get involved in divorce cases; I have a strict policy (online no less in my website) that strictly forbids parents from involving me in their personal crap. I use to serve those court documents in my prior career and some cases get messy. The last thing you want is for the one safe place for your child to get involved because then it takes a toll on care for all the other kids and possibly the providers home life also too... the fact your husband involved the daycare is quite possibly why they no longer want your child in care... I know I wouldn't

We deal with divorced parents, true, it doesn't mean we will allow ourselves to be dragged into court (causing issues with our income & problems with care for other families) or the messiness of parents fighting. That is not part of our job so yeah... I would terminate care also

Exactly. I let a family go because they tried to drag me in the middle and each of their lawyers was trying to get me to testify against the other parent. My home is a neutral safe place for a child, where nothing has changed and their routine and care remains consistent. I have a letter I hand out to parents divorcing that specifies this, and I don't want to hear ANYTHING about it unless I NEED to know. No, I can't refuse the other parent and NO, I won't without a court order. No, I don't want to hear what they did and NO neither does your child or the other children in care.
Josiegirl 03:02 PM 12-14-2016
Family home providers(who care for children AND a business)deal with divorced and separated families all the time. It's the messiness of court and too much drama, hostility, possible violence in front of others' children, towards our families and ourselves, and revenge that all too often plays a part in people's lives these days....that's what we have a difficult time inviting into our lives and homes where we care for children AND run our business.

Did you expect to come here and have everybody take your side in all this? I don't think you liked the answers you've gotten.
Blackcat31 03:03 PM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
YOU, YOURSELF called it a MESS. Are you kidding me with this? I'm wondering if it is really the divorce mess causing the termination.
I agree! It's almost as if maybe the provider doesn't want to deal with OP any longer.

Getting upset and resorting to "name calling" when you don't get the advice/answer you were looking for is a pretty good indication of why the provider might be refusing to keep YOU on as a client.
Ariana 07:56 PM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree! It's almost as if maybe the provider doesn't want to deal with OP any longer.

Getting upset and resorting to "name calling" when you don't get the advice/answer you were looking for is a pretty good indication of why the provider might be refusing to keep YOU on as a client.
Yep! Might be a good indicator of why the divorce got "messy" too.
Tags:custody battle, custody issues, divorced parents, divorced parents - receipts, drama - family, entitled, visitation
Reply Up