Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Noisy Class
CeriBear 06:22 AM 07-06-2019
Anyone have ideas on how you manage the noise levels in your classroom?
My class this summer is pretty well behaved but they can’t seem to understand when they can be loud and when they must be quieter. My kids are all 4 years old.
I’ve tried talking to them about inside voices.
I’ve tried using a color coded chart and indicate the noise level appropriate for the current activity. Ex: 💜naptime 💚 centers/snack 💛 music/indoor recess
💜 no talking at all
💙 whispering/spy voices
💚 inside/quiet voice
💛 teacher/game time voice
This seems to work pretty well but I got to thinking the kids might be a bit young for this. I’ve used it before but my class was older— all had finished pre-K and were headed to kindergarten.
It’s not that my class is wild or naughty but I do have several kids that tend to get really loud when they are having fun and playing in centers.
A friend of mine suggested dimming the lights during center and playtime. Anyone tried this?
Ariana 04:34 PM 07-07-2019
Dimming lights is a good idea, maybe twinkling lights?

I always play very relaxing flute music or any soothing instrumental music. It instantly calms and quiets everyone. My current favourite is Maria Kostelas. For naptime use soothing music with lyrics played very softly, if you are having issues during that time.
AmyKidsCo 01:36 PM 07-09-2019
Not judging, but when you look at the color coded chart, what color dominates? Are they supposed to be quiet most of the day? Maybe I'm way off base, but personally I need to write things out like that to really see them.

We replaced the carpet in the playroom with laminate and it's SO. MUCH. LOUDER. I'm tempted to follow Dan Hodgins's suggestion to get earplugs!
CeriBear 06:40 AM 07-13-2019
My color coded chart tells children what voice level is expected when I hang a certain color “ large paper crayon “ on the big wall. I have talked to them about this and they know that when I have the green crayon hanging ( which is most of the day) they need to use an inside voice. This works pretty well for most of the children but I have a couple part time boys that tend to get noisy and jumpy and other children feed off them. I can tell a difference on the days these children are in class.
Maybe I just have a low tolerance for noise as the teacher next door has yet to open my door and yell at my class.
Tags:classroom management, discipline - consistency, loud environment, noisy
Reply Up