Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Time Question
Dsquared 06:20 AM 01-12-2019
Hello providers,

I was hoping you all could help me respond to this mom. She has one child who is 22 months old and when she first started about 2 months ago she said she only needed two days. I usually don’t take part time kids but I did this time because she is the best friend of one of my other parents that I love. I told her my daily rate of $60 dollars which is already low in my area and she said she could only afford $50. I went ahead and said yes. I never even did a contract with her which is very stupid I know. Anyway, she decided after the holidays she wanted to add a day. I told her that was fine but 3 days is usually considered full time. I told her I would not charge her for full time but she has to pay $60 a day. So she agreed. Now toddler comes M, W, F at $180 a week. So now I get this message from her:

Hi! If we miraculously get Monday off (because of snow 🤞🏻🤞&#127995 could I bring “kid” Tues instead? And Friday is a teacher workday so I would probably drop him off sometime between 8-9am.

She is a teacher and my policy is teachers pay if there is a snow day. When I have taken part time in the past I don’t let them transfer days or pro rate. How should I handle this? What should I respond with? I realize I need to get her a contract ASAP. Thanks for any advice!
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 01-12-2019
"could I bring “kid” Tues instead?"

"No. You are scheduled for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only. Switching days is not an option. Have a great weekend!"

Do not add in the word "sorry" anywhere, ever, when it comes to enforcing your policies.

Why are you making so many exceptions for this woman? The more exceptions you make the less she will respect you or your policies. You are telling her that your policies are not important enough for you to enforce. It is not a good path to be on.
Josiegirl 08:28 AM 01-12-2019
When I first read your post and started thinking of what I'd do, wishy-washy me thought I'd just switch the day to keep her happy. But after reading CH's reply and rereading that you'd already lowered her rate in the beginning to 50 instead of 60, I think you've done enough favors for this person. Because you were so nice when she started, she keeps expecting you to change according to her needs. Time to stop. And what better time than using the beginning of a New Year as an excuse. Write up a contract now for her and hold yourself to it, especially if you're on the low end of local rates. Where else would she go? It sounds like she's already getting a deal.
Concentrate on your business and making it work!
Cat Herder 08:38 AM 01-12-2019
When I offered part-time M+W+F was one slot, T+Th was another. Their rates combined equaled one full-time M-F slot, plus extra curriculum and supply expenses per child. Parents seemed to understand the concept easier when explained that way.

Just because your T+Th slot is unfilled right now does not mean she is entitled to use it.
amberrose3dg 12:59 PM 01-12-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
When I offered part-time M+W+F was one slot, T+Th was another. Their rates combined equaled one full-time M-F slot, plus extra curriculum and supply expenses per child. Parents seemed to understand the concept easier when explained that way.

Just because your T+Th slot is unfilled right now does not mean she is entitled to use it.
This! I had a mom like that. Every time a holiday fell on a Monday she tried to get a free day.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, full time vs part time, part time policy, professionalism
Reply Up