Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Pay for Daycare - What Do you Charge?
momma2girls 01:07 PM 12-09-2009
I thought it would be kind of interesting, if we as daycare providers- place on here what we charge a week, for one child, and siblings. Also include where you live. I think it will be interesting for everyone, just to look at!!!
Happy Holidays!!
By the way I charge $130.00 for one child and I give a $10.00 a week disc. on 2 children. Instead of $260.00 for 2/wk, I charge $250.00.
THanks everyone!!!
melissa ann 02:38 PM 12-09-2009
I"m in Pa and charge $18/day with a 3 day min rate. I do not give discounts.
Missy
Unregistered 04:39 PM 12-09-2009
I charge $200 for infants, $150 above age 2 and $5 per hour for after school care.
momma2girls 04:43 PM 12-09-2009
Do you give siblings discounts at all?
momma2girls 04:58 PM 12-09-2009
TO Melissa ann-
How many hrs. are you watching children for $18.00 a day??
Unregistered 05:30 PM 12-09-2009
I live in Southern Illinois.
I charge $25 for full day with a 3 day a week min.
$15 for half day, but has to be full week.
So basically a $75 a week min.
I charge more than the state pays, so parents pay me the extra on top of the co-payment if they use state assistance. It's bad enough I have to wait until after the fact to get paid by the state, I'm not going to give a discount.
$8 a day for after school, that's going up to $9 in the new year.
Unregistered 06:23 PM 12-09-2009
Whoops! Yes, I do $25 discounts for additional siblings.
GretasLittleFriends 07:02 PM 12-09-2009
I'm in central/northern MN, and charge hourly. $2.50/infant and toddlers, $2.25 for preschoolers (that are potty trained), $2/school aged children. Our kindergartners are whole day m-f, so they get the school aged rate. I do NOT offer discounts.
Childminder 08:17 AM 12-10-2009
I'm in MI and charge $160 week with a $32 discount on the second child. I also do part time at $16 for less than 4 hours per day if any openings. My hourly rate is $3.75 and applies to state subsidy children. I'm open Mon-Sat and open 6am til 11:30p with overnites by request. I have not had a pay increase in 5 years but will at next contract in October.
mac60 08:25 AM 12-10-2009
Small town in NW Ohio

5 days 1 child $80 to $85
5 days 2 children $135
4 days 1 child $70
4 days 2 children $120
3 days 1 child $55
3 days 2 children $90

3 day minimum.

School age b/a school $35 Add $10 per day if no school

Our rates suck here. People expect sibling discounts, and it kills me. I supply everything at this rate and the rates definately don't relect the amount my expenses have went up in the past 2 years.

Honestly, I need to get a new rate sheet, cut back on the sibling discounts, and pay myself better. I do charge whether they are here or not, including sick days, holidays, vacations. But my vacation is no charge.
jen 08:40 AM 12-10-2009
Schoolagers: $75 per week school year, $140 summer
Children up to 1st grade: $140

I have one family of three, I charge them $350/week (Kindergarden, 3 years and 6months)

One family of two, $250/week (kindergarden, 2 yo)

They are "grandfathered" in on the multi-child discount. I don't plan on offering a discount in the future.

I do charge for holidays, but not for vacation.
momma2girls 08:41 AM 12-10-2009
Yes, you should, everything has gone up so high lately!!! If you actually sit down and figure up what goes out in expenses every month, and what you are buying for daycare(everything) I know you cannot be making much if anything at all!!!! That is sad!!!!
jen 08:42 AM 12-10-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
Honestly, I need to get a new rate sheet, cut back on the sibling discounts, and pay myself better.
Yes! Yes you do!!!
momma2girls 08:51 AM 12-10-2009
Maybe you can get a new price sheet figured out starting Jan 2010 fast!!! This is what i do, although I have not gone up on my rates in over 4 yrs.
tymaboy 09:31 AM 12-10-2009
I have to keep track of the hours cuz it is one of the requirements for the food program I am on.
momofboys 07:51 PM 12-10-2009
Originally Posted by mac60:
Small town in NW Ohio

5 days 1 child $80 to $85
5 days 2 children $135
4 days 1 child $70
4 days 2 children $120
3 days 1 child $55
3 days 2 children $90

3 day minimum.

School age b/a school $35 Add $10 per day if no school

Our rates suck here. People expect sibling discounts, and it kills me. I supply everything at this rate and the rates definately don't relect the amount my expenses have went up in the past 2 years.

Honestly, I need to get a new rate sheet, cut back on the sibling discounts, and pay myself better. I do charge whether they are here or not, including sick days, holidays, vacations. But my vacation is no charge.
Hey! I grew up in that part of the state (Wauseon area). . . not sure where you are at. but yes, it's too bad your rates can't higher. I am in west-central Ohio now & my rates are only slightly higher except for the b & a school care.
momofboys 07:54 PM 12-10-2009
Thanks for those who replied about my B & A school care situation. I will definitely talk to the mom about it as I should have previously. I guess part of me is hesitant b/c she really does do a lot of nice things for us. She buys craft supplies/has given me diapers for my own child on top of the ones she brings for her child, is providing treasures for our treasure hunts, etc. But still this has been bugging me & so I think I will bring it up & see what she says.
mac60 02:46 AM 12-11-2009
Originally Posted by janarae:
Hey! I grew up in that part of the state (Wauseon area). . . not sure where you are at. but yes, it's too bad your rates can't higher. I am in west-central Ohio now & my rates are only slightly higher except for the b & a school care.
Wauseon is about 35 minutes from me. Small world.
momma2girls 04:26 AM 12-11-2009
Mac 60-
COuld you go up on your rates for the New Year?
Maybe to $100.00/wk. for fulltime. That is only (I think)$10 or $15.00 more a week, than what you have now.
I really don't know how you do it for $85.00/wk.
I know my sis babysits in a very small town in Iowa, even her rates are $2.75 an hr. before I quit to SAH, we were paying her $27.50+ a day to have her watch our daughter. We both had 1 hr. each way commutes everyday.
Julia27 11:06 PM 09-11-2012
Hi my name is Julia and i'm only 16 but i really want to have my own daycare when im older. I only want to care for children ages 2-5 (maybe infants) and as i grow bigger i would take in ages 6-8. I have a lot of questions that need to be answered:

-How much do i charge for full time? Part time?
-How does the average day go?
-What kind of activities do you do for the children?
-Do you have to do any kind of schooling?
*if so, How long? What classes?
-What is the greatest amount of kids one person can take in?
-How much do you make a year?
-Are you able to charge them extra for providing food?
-How long did it take for your business to get started?
-What are the in-home requirements?
-How do you spread the word about your new daycare?
-What is the best state to live in to start this business?

Please help and answer as much as you can.
MarinaVanessa 10:36 AM 09-12-2012
-How much do i charge for full time? Part time?
That depends on a lot of things such as what state, city and part of a city you are living in. Will your business be located in a low, middle or upper class neighborhood? What type of services will you provide? Will your daycare be in high demand? Will you offer a curiculum? Melas? Field trips? etc. There are so many variables to consider so this is not a question easily answered.

-How does the average day go?
Well that depends on what type of a program you choose to provide. Typically most programs consist of 2 main meals (breakfast and lunch) and 2 snacks (morning and evening) and a nap time. During the time in between you can schedule activities, walks and outings and both indoor and outdoor free play. The type of schedule you choose is based on what you want to do with the kids.

-What kind of activities do you do for the children?
Paint, color, draw, read, sing, etc.

-Do you have to do any kind of schooling?
*if so, How long? What classes?

In my state (CA) we are not required to have any formal type of schooling to become a licensed child care home however it's to your advantage if you take at least some courses in child development. We are however required to be current in CPR, first aid and preventative health and safety paractices. This costs about $100-$150 and is a weekend course every 2 years for me given by the American Red Cross.

-What is the greatest amount of kids one person can take in?
hat depend on the type of license you have and your states regulations. In CA a small family childcare home can have 6 kids (8 if 2 of them are in Kinder and 1st grade or older). A large family childcare license allows you to have 12 kids (14 if 2 of them are in kinder or 1st grade or older) and if you have an assistant. If you only care for family members in my state you can care for as many as you want to and not have to be licensed. If you are unlicensed you can only care for 1 families children but as long as they are all siblings you don't have a max cap.

-How much do you make a year?
I currently regularly care for 5 daycare children and my own 2 kids. I average about $40,000 a year including drop-ins.

-Are you able to charge them extra for providing food?
Yes, you can do whatever you choose to do. However it is common practice to include the cost of meals into your regular rates.

-How long did it take for your business to get started?
It took me a full 2 years before I was finally comfortable financially and didn't have to worry about a client leaving. I still made enough with the other children to cover for a lost child.

-What are the in-home requirements?
This varies from state to state and there are a lot of requirements. The best thing to do it to check with your local licensing office for these. Sometimes you can get this info online.

-How do you spread the word about your new daycare?
I do several things all at once. The home page of Daycare.com has a few of the ways that I advertise my daycare.
How to advertise your daycare

-What is the best state to live in to start this business?
This is a hard one as I don't know.
Unregistered 08:32 AM 09-14-2012
Do any of you relize it is illegal for us to discuss fees? According to Tom Copeland it is like price fixing.

My advice, not a good idea to do it online!
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Do any of you relize it is illegal for us to discuss fees? According to Tom Copeland it is like price fixing.

My advice, not a good idea to do it online!
It would be price-fixing and illegal if we were all DIRECT competition with each other which NONE of us are.

Discussing how much we charge, and how, with providers we have never met, do not compete with or know their names is harmless IMPO.
daycare 08:45 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It would be price-fixing and illegal if we were all DIRECT competition with each other which NONE of us are.

Discussing how much we charge, and how, with providers we have never met, do not compete with or know their names is harmless IMPO.
heheheheheh I love you!!

im in SF bay area in CA

I charge for full time 225 week
part time is 50 day x # of days child attends.
Unregistered 08:43 AM 06-16-2016
I'm in central Florida. I offer organic foods as well as homemade meals. An exceptional program. I charge $50/day for part time and $200/week for full time. Before and after school is $25/day with meals,snacks, drinks included till 6pm.
Controlled Chaos 09:50 AM 06-16-2016
I'm in central Florida. I offer organic foods as well as homemade meals. An exceptional program. I charge $50/day for part time and $200/week for full time. Before and after school is $25/day with meals,snacks, drinks included till 6pm.
This is a very old threat so I doubt the other prices are accurate anymore
BabyMonkeys 06:37 PM 07-02-2016
I'm in central Florida and offer a program completely different than anyone around me. Infants and toddlers only, maximum of 3 children at once, eco-friendly, all organic meals + snacks, homemade baby food daily, diapers, wipes, etc. included...I'm having a hard time finding people that don't freak out that I charge $150 a week for infants and $160 a week for toddlers. Since I never come close to my legal ratio, I charge less for infant positions and more for toddlers because they are more expensive for me to care for. Where are you advertising?

It's the first opening I've had in 2 1/2 years and I'm in shock at how much the market has changed in that time!
thrivingchildcarecom 10:45 AM 06-16-2016
I'm in a suburb of So. Calf. Infants and toddlers and FT & PT are different pay rates. Currently I charge $250/w for infants FT. Older toddlers are $175/w FT.
Avalon_Mist 10:16 AM 06-29-2016
Does anyone offer sliding scale rates based on the parents' income?
Pestle 02:37 PM 06-29-2016
No, I don't offer a sliding scale. I called the city twice to ask about getting into the low-income program, but they haven't responded. I can only take 4 kids right now, since I'm not licensed but operating in compliance with state regs. I've called THAT office twice and they apparently have no intention of licensing anybody this summer. They have no projected date for the next orientation session.

I am in the center of Chattanooga, TN--it's a moderately-sized, up-and-coming city. I provide lunch and two snacks.

$140/week for any times between 7am and 5:30pm.
10% off for siblings--so, $125/week when there's more than one kid enrolled. I have a sibling pair right now.

$5/hour per child, $35 max per day, for part-time/drop-in care. I have a regular child right now whose dad is taking night classes, so we use the $140 base rate and add $5/hour those evenings that he picks up late.

BUT--$1/minute per child if pick up is later than what's in our agreement!
LysesKids 03:23 PM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by Pestle:
No, I don't offer a sliding scale. I called the city twice to ask about getting into the low-income program, but they haven't responded. I can only take 4 kids right now, since I'm not licensed but operating in compliance with state regs. I've called THAT office twice and they apparently have no intention of licensing anybody this summer. They have no projected date for the next orientation session.

I am in the center of Chattanooga, TN--it's a moderately-sized, up-and-coming city. I provide lunch and two snacks.

$140/week for any times between 7am and 5:30pm.
10% off for siblings--so, $125/week when there's more than one kid enrolled. I have a sibling pair right now.

$5/hour per child, $35 max per day, for part-time/drop-in care. I have a regular child right now whose dad is taking night classes, so we use the $140 base rate and add $5/hour those evenings that he picks up late.

BUT--$1/minute per child if pick up is later than what's in our agreement!
Being Licensed exempt, the only way you can take Families First is if a parent receiving the Voucher picks you for care, then you have to give the parent your name , address , SS # (written) and then once they turn it into their worker, the county comes out to inspect the home, to make sure you have CPR training and such.

I gave up even taking the darn things 2 years ago because too many parents complained about paying the difference, which way more than if they take the voucher to a licensed provider. Highest amount of reimbursement is $70 per week for licensed exempt and that is only in the 20 highest pay counties like yours and mine (amount hasn't changed in years). heres the County Caps for TN (I'm in Blount); http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/enti...le_10-1-15.pdf
Pestle 03:59 PM 07-02-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Being Licensed exempt, the only way you can take Families First is if a parent receiving the Voucher picks you for care, then you have to give the parent your name , address , SS # (written) and then once they turn it into their worker, the county comes out to inspect the home, to make sure you have CPR training and such.

I gave up even taking the darn things 2 years ago because too many parents complained about paying the difference, which way more than if they take the voucher to a licensed provider. Highest amount of reimbursement is $70 per week for licensed exempt and that is only in the 20 highest pay counties like yours and mine (amount hasn't changed in years). heres the County Caps for TN (I'm in Blount); http://www.tennessee.gov/assets/enti...le_10-1-15.pdf
Wow--you answered the questions that the local office wouldn't answer!
Necia 12:44 AM 07-02-2016
Hi i just found this forum searching google. Im going to hire my cousin to watch my son while i work. It will be 4-6 hrs a day monday through thurs. My son is 2 years old and she will be watching him at my house. I want to make sure the pay is fair. Also i live in a rural area in southern oregon. Any advice os appreciated. I do plan on doing more research and asking other places around where we live. But i would love for some feedback. Thank you all so much
Thriftylady 07:04 AM 07-02-2016
Originally Posted by Necia:
Hi i just found this forum searching google. Im going to hire my cousin to watch my son while i work. It will be 4-6 hrs a day monday through thurs. My son is 2 years old and she will be watching him at my house. I want to make sure the pay is fair. Also i live in a rural area in southern oregon. Any advice os appreciated. I do plan on doing more research and asking other places around where we live. But i would love for some feedback. Thank you all so much
Well usually when someone comes into your home, that makes them a nanny. So, you have to pay at least Min. wage, pay in their federal and state taxes, pay in workers comp and unemployment taxes. So I would start with your states min. wage, and probably pay more than that.
delferka 07:18 PM 07-05-2016
I live in western mass. I charge $35 per day. If your here for 1 to 8 hours, it's $35.
Unregistered 07:50 PM 07-05-2016
I charge $800/month for full time. That includes wipes and all meals and snacks for children 1 yr and up.
Fancygoldfish 03:37 PM 07-06-2016
Suburb of Columbus, OH. $150. 7:30-5. No discounts.

There are lots of home daycares in my area and they range from about $125 week for preschoolers to $200 a week for newborns. Those are the extreme ends in this area. $150 is avg.
Fancygoldfish 03:41 PM 07-06-2016
Suburb of Columbus, OH. $150. 7:30-5. No discounts. Parents provide diapers and wipes. I provide meals for toddlers and preschoolers. I get major holidays off with pay.

There are lots of home daycares in my area and they range from about $125 week for preschoolers to $200 a week for newborns. Those are the extreme ends in this area. $150 is avg.
Shell's Lil' Angels 01:16 PM 07-07-2016
I always find it educational to read about and learn the many vast differences there are across the country with regards to the various contract prices, conditions, and polices that we each have as providers and educators. Some of you are charging prices that I haven't seen in our area for 15 years plus. And from most of the threads that I've read, paid holidays, sick time, and vacation time is from one extreme to the other...or even nonexistent.

I live in the bay area, about 40 minutes east of San Francisco, CA, in a small town, 11,700 in population, at the base of Mount Diablo. My prices are at the top of the scale for family child care. But, not nearly as expensive as most day care centers in our area. Day care centers in the bay area are typically $350.00 to $400.00 weekly.

My prices are as follows:

Daily (when less than 5 days a week) - $60.00
Weekly (when contracted M-F) - $275.00
$10 discount for sibling per week

I don't tier-rate charge for infants and toddlers because I do provide a formal Preschool and Kindergarten readiness program. Due to the expense incurred for my time, expertise, and materials, my prices remain the same for ages 0 to 6. I also do not provide a large discount for siblings. Partly, because my expenses aren't reduced just because I have siblings in attendance....operating costs still remain the same! I haven't provided before and after school care due to the lack of busing available in our school district. Funding for buses was cut a few years ago. As a large family day care, with 10 to 12 children each day, about half of my roster is part time and the remaining half is full time.

I no longer accept state funded child care families. I've only had one family in the past, primarily due to the monetary lucrativeness of the town in which I reside. My experience with the state of California and their inability to pay timely was horrid. Sometimes, two to three months would pass before I would see a check. As well, and as is obvious to those of you who do receive state funded payments for child care/preschool, the state pays far less than private-pay families.

I also incorporate in to my contact paid sick time and paid vacation. I receive yearly, 5 days sick pay and 4 weeks paid vacation. My holiday closures coincide with the school district in which I reside. Time off is very important to my emotional and physical health. This allows me to be the best provider and the best teacher to my little ones. And my parents respect this need. I've never had any problems with paid time off. I'm so fortunate to have such a great group of parents.
Shell's Lil' Angels 04:27 PM 07-07-2016
Oh, and a nanny in the Bay Area.....they make between $20 and $35 hourly!!
Unregistered 11:44 AM 07-11-2016
I am in MD. My rates are as follows:

Infants: $210/wk
2-3: $190/wk
4-5: $170/wk

And, I get 12 paid holidays a year, 10 days vacation, and 5 personal/sick days. My families get 5 vacation days after one year of enrollment.
Unregistered 06:04 PM 07-19-2016
Part Time = 1-3 days. Full Time = 4-5 days.

Age 6 weeks - 2.5 years:
Drop In rate is $30/day
Part time care is $90/week
Full time care is $130/week

Age 2.5 years - until they start school:
Drop In rate is $25/day
Part time care is $75/week
Full time care is $125/week

School Age children:
Drop In rate is $15/day during the school year
$25/day during summer vacation
Part time care is $45/week during the school year
$75/week during summer vacation
Full time care is $65/week during the school year
$100/week during summer vacation

Discounts & Rebates:
Multiple Children Discount
$10/child/week for full time
$5/child/week for part time
no discount for drop in care

Referral Rebate
Part Time or Full Time DCP's may refer other families to me for a bonus incentive. New DCF must sign up for at least part time care. After 3 months, if both DCF are in good standing (not behind in payments) the referring DCP will receive a $100 childcare credit.
Unregistered 09:58 AM 08-18-2016
This is fascinating reading! I am in VT and a small home program. I charge a set amount based on a rate of $4.75/hour for children under two and $4.50/hour for those over 2. I have a a M.Ed and am a licensed teacher, have a small group, Eco friendly program and serve mostly organic home cooked meals (2 snacks and lunch). I have heard my rates are about average around here. I let families take a few sick days unpaid and I don't charge for days I don't work (vacations, sick days, etc). I have a few open spots but honestly I love having a small group. Having worked at a center in the past I felt a weekly rate just encouraged parents to leave kids there as long as possible. That's why I went hourly:seems more fair to families and me. I don't calculate each week though unless it changes drastically... They pick a schedule and I charge a fixed rate based on those hours.
Tags:charge, discount, fees, hourly, payment, real costs of providing care, tuition, tuition breakdown
Reply Up