Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Serious Question, How Do You Deal With Noise Fatigue? Or Maybe Just A Vent
cheerfuldom 03:30 PM 05-05-2011
I think the hardest part of my job is the noise. My group is actually the best group I have had since I began and its really not that bad (well compared to two other home daycares I have been in, yikes!) but still, I do get mentally exhausted sometimes. My group right now is a 6 month old, 8 month old (part timer), 22 month old, another 22 month old and a 3.5 year old. Just lost a 2. 5 year old. Adding another 8 month old part timer and my own infant soon. Looking to add one more full timer. So my group is fairly young but I don't see this problem as any different with older kids usually. I get tired of hearing my own voice. Its not just "stop this or that" but instructions, singing, reading, etc. Then there is the fact that with a group so young, most times someone is crying or throwing a tantrum or making a repetitious noise over and over. All perfectly normal for the age but exhausting. I think the big thing is that even when the DC kids are gone, I still have my own two, soon to be three so I don't get a break from this at all. Is there anything you can recommend for plain out noise fatigue? My husband has been trying to help out more but to be honest, my two are really bad at whining and crying for him, WAY worse than when they are with me. So even if I am in the house doing something else, I can still hear it. Even when they are outside, I can still hear it. I don't know what else to do except leave my house whenever possible and it frustrates me that I can't have a peaceful place in my own home. Anybody sympathize?
AnythingsPossible 04:27 PM 05-05-2011
Noise bothers me badly. The sound the tires of the little people toys as they run them across the floor. The sound that vibrates through the floor when they are not using their walking feet. The clicking noise of some of the toys. Normal daily noises, but they seem so amplified to me. Makes it really hard to do daycare at times!! Loud chewers, whining. But oddly enough, crying and screaming from infants doesn't effect me in the least. I don't know if I have super sensitive hearing or what. When my girls are upstairs supposed to be going to sleep, I can always hear if they are goofing around. My husband is astounded at the things I hear.

When you're husband is in charge and you are completly off the hook and no ones safety is in your hands, try ear plugs. They can be very relaxing.
daycarelady68 04:30 PM 05-05-2011
Yes, yes and yes!! This is 1 of the most challenging parts of the job in my opinion. In a training I did it suggested telling the kids straight out (yours are young I realize) "I'm on a break I cannot answer any questions at this time"....it made me laugh. I personally love music so I tell the kids I'm on a break and listen to a few favorite songs on my ipod. The kids are all in my line of vision when I do this. It helps me. I separate them too (may not be an option for you, since I don't know your setup), they have to play in a room alone, the younger ones can go in pack n play. Even 10 min helps.
cheerfuldom 06:52 PM 05-05-2011
I have an mp3 player and now can't find it. I might have to get some sort of replacement just to have that option. Today all heck broke loose because one girl (normally my best behaved one) just totally freaked out and had like a two hour tantrum. By the time I finally got her calmed down, the rest of the kids were so worked up from all that crying and the rest of the day was just downhill.
SilverSabre25 05:16 AM 05-06-2011
Whenever you can, leave your DH with the kiddos and get out of the house...even just to go relax in the backyard with your favorite beverage. Even if it's cold and raining. It will help. And the more you leave the kids with DH, the more used to each other they will get and things should get better. If you can figure out what it is about him/his parenting that makes them more prone to whining for him, (and he's the type to be open to suggestions), give him suggestions on how to manage them better--I have to do this with my DH even though he is a FANTASTIC dad...he still needs hints and "heads up" sometimes.

I get tired of the noise, too...there are some toys that if the sound bothers me I just disappear the toy. Sometimes I just outright take the toy from whoever is doing something obnoxious/noisy with it and put it away and explain, sorry but the noise is driving me nuts. Some of my dopier sounding rules have arisen from my nose aversions--no driving cars on the wall, no driving cars on the picnic table. (Ugh, I'm cringing just thinking about those sounds, yuck).

Naptime is sacred and once everyone is asleep (they sleep all together in one room with the door shut), I set my DD up with a show, get my own lunch, and then retreat to my own room for awhile. DD knows that until her show is over she is not to bother me unless it's important (and no, wanting another snack does NOT count!). This helps too, but I know that it's not a set up that works for everyone.
Sugar Magnolia 10:41 AM 05-06-2011
May sound silly, but if it gets too loud, I cheerfully announce its time to play the "quiet game". We see who can be silent for the longest time. Now, this doesn't work on infants, obviously, but even two year olds can play successfully! The kids think its hilarious. Sometimes we will have staring contests too! That is always FUN for the kids! We also play the "whisper the song" game, where we all sing twinkle twinkle or abc song. Starts out normal volume, then next time through I say "ok quieter this time", then 3rd time through we whisper it. Group activities like this can be spontaneous and serve as a handy distraction.
As for "din" noises (toys, etc), we put a tablecloth on the floor/table when we build w blocks, cuts way down on banging and crashing noise. I try to avoid any toys that encourage banging, like hammers. My workbench has lots of screws, screwdrivers, wrenches, phones, hats, etc, but NO hammers. I don't see much educational value in "talking" toys, or toys that need batteries to power their noise making features, so I don't have too many of them. Our center has all wood floors, so it can be very loud. I try to allow at least one time a day when its OK to be loud, and that's usually music time. Drums, cymbals, shakers, tamborines, bells, even microphones. But instruments go in a box when we're done and not available for free play. I LOVE dress up stuff and doll stuff, because those are always quiet activities. I prefer to read a child a book instead of having those "push the button to make noise" books.
cheerfuldom 10:48 AM 05-06-2011
thanks for your ideas. We have very few noisy toys because I prefer for the kids to actually play, versus just being entertained. As for the "quiet" game, all of my kids but one are under two years old and they would not understand this at all (trust me, I've tried!). Like I said, they really are not rowdy or bad about this, its just so constant that I do need a break from it at least once a day. On Thursdays and Fridays, there is no time when everyone is napping at the same time. Monday thru Wednesdays are better.
SimpleMom 10:54 AM 05-06-2011
I've always thought of using ear plugs-- lol. I haven't tried it as of yet, but soooo want to some days.
jojosmommy 11:01 AM 05-06-2011
Your post made me laugh b/c I was just thinking this earlier in the week. I purchased an under the counter radio for the kitchen just to drown out the chewing noises at lunch. Hubs asked what I needed this for while installing it, "Have you ever heard 6 kids eat all at once?" was my only response.

And I too have some pretty absurd rules b/c of noise like the no driving on the walls or that table. I even threw out a car known by the kids as, "squeaky car" (weeky car for the younger crowd) b/c I couldn't handle it anymore.

I think it gets better once your kids are older and can control their own noise. My son is two so I am praying it gets better once he gets older.
kitkat 08:17 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Your post made me laugh b/c I was just thinking this earlier in the week. I purchased an under the counter radio for the kitchen just to drown out the chewing noises at lunch. Hubs asked what I needed this for while installing it, "Have you ever heard 6 kids eat all at once?" was my only response.

I think it gets better once your kids are older and can control their own noise. My son is two so I am praying it gets better once he gets older.
I turn mine on for EVERY snack and lunch! Sometimes the music get a little loud when I can't take the smacking sound.

DS is 6 and I don't think the noise level is any different than DD who is 2.5. He just makes different noises and they are more annoying
MyAngels 09:00 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I think the hardest part of my job is the noise. My group is actually the best group I have had since I began and its really not that bad (well compared to two other home daycares I have been in, yikes!) but still, I do get mentally exhausted sometimes. My group right now is a 6 month old, 8 month old (part timer), 22 month old, another 22 month old and a 3.5 year old. Just lost a 2. 5 year old. Adding another 8 month old part timer and my own infant soon. Looking to add one more full timer. So my group is fairly young but I don't see this problem as any different with older kids usually. I get tired of hearing my own voice. Its not just "stop this or that" but instructions, singing, reading, etc. Then there is the fact that with a group so young, most times someone is crying or throwing a tantrum or making a repetitious noise over and over. All perfectly normal for the age but exhausting. I think the big thing is that even when the DC kids are gone, I still have my own two, soon to be three so I don't get a break from this at all. Is there anything you can recommend for plain out noise fatigue? My husband has been trying to help out more but to be honest, my two are really bad at whining and crying for him, WAY worse than when they are with me. So even if I am in the house doing something else, I can still hear it. Even when they are outside, I can still hear it. I don't know what else to do except leave my house whenever possible and it frustrates me that I can't have a peaceful place in my own home. Anybody sympathize?
I have the opposite problem lately, at least after my daycare kids leave. Since my own children are all grown now, I find that the house is too quiet most of the time. I actually found myself talking to myself - out loud - recently . So there is a solution, but you're going to have to wait quite a while for it .
QualiTcare 09:09 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
May sound silly, but if it gets too loud, I cheerfully announce its time to play the "quiet game". We see who can be silent for the longest time. Now, this doesn't work on infants, obviously, but even two year olds can play successfully! The kids think its hilarious. Sometimes we will have staring contests too! That is always FUN for the kids! We also play the "whisper the song" game, where we all sing twinkle twinkle or abc song. Starts out normal volume, then next time through I say "ok quieter this time", then 3rd time through we whisper it. Group activities like this can be spontaneous and serve as a handy distraction.
As for "din" noises (toys, etc), we put a tablecloth on the floor/table when we build w blocks, cuts way down on banging and crashing noise. I try to avoid any toys that encourage banging, like hammers. My workbench has lots of screws, screwdrivers, wrenches, phones, hats, etc, but NO hammers. I don't see much educational value in "talking" toys, or toys that need batteries to power their noise making features, so I don't have too many of them. Our center has all wood floors, so it can be very loud. I try to allow at least one time a day when its OK to be loud, and that's usually music time. Drums, cymbals, shakers, tamborines, bells, even microphones. But instruments go in a box when we're done and not available for free play. I LOVE dress up stuff and doll stuff, because those are always quiet activities. I prefer to read a child a book instead of having those "push the button to make noise" books.
good ole' quiet mouse. the only time this worked for me was with school age kids and when i let THEM be in charge. i'd pick a person to watch for the "quietest mouse" and then the person they picked would be the next to watch for the quiet mouse. they loved being in charge and everyone wanted to be picked. when i tried it with small groups or even just with my own kids it just turns into a giggle fest.
Tags:fatigue, noisy
Reply Up