Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Montessori Daycare
gera8118 06:24 PM 07-02-2013
Can I say I run a Montessori daycare without actually being trained as a Montessori teacher? I have been using the Montessori method with my kids and have done a lot of research. Just wanted to see if anyone knows if I am"allowed" to state I am a Montessori daycare. Thanks!
Artsandcrafts 07:40 PM 07-02-2013
Montessori name is not patented. Any school or daycare can name themselves Montessori even if they do not follow Montessori principles.
SilverSabre25 09:07 PM 07-02-2013
I would say that you run a "Montessori-inspired" daycare.

The true Montessori environment is very hard to achieve in a home setting. To avoid confusion or anything, I would avoid saying anything absolute, but stating that your program is inspired, or heavily based on, the Montessori methods should accurately convey the kind of program you run.
Laurel 04:40 AM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by gera8118:
Can I say I run a Montessori daycare without actually being trained as a Montessori teacher? I have been using the Montessori method with my kids and have done a lot of research. Just wanted to see if anyone knows if I am"allowed" to state I am a Montessori daycare. Thanks!
When I tried Montessori (it was too difficult to do at home with mixed ages), I called it Montessori-like.

I've worked in Montessori schools and one especially was NOT Montessori. It was chaotic and Montessori is not chaotic. Yes, it was set up like one but that's it.

I don't think you'd have any problems.

Laurel
Willow 05:39 AM 07-03-2013
I am Montessori inspired, bit unless/until I am actually accredited I would not declare myself Montessori.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by gera8118:
I agree with the others....I would just say "Montessori Inspired" or something similar.

Welcome to the forum!~
Evansmom 07:15 AM 07-03-2013
Agree. Say Montessori inspired or Montessori influenced. You can't say you're actual Montessori unless you are an accredited teacher through the North American or European Montessori organizations. If you are accredited then you should advertise that.
Starburst 08:31 AM 07-03-2013
You can advertise it as having a "Montessori-esque curriculum" ("Esque" is a fancy way of saying "like" or "based") but I wouldn't flat out advertise as a 'Montessori Daycare' or 'Montessori preschool' if you are not certified as a Montessori teacher. Plus remember that everychild is different and (IMHO) there is no "1 size fits all" approach when it comes to learning.
Willow 12:36 PM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
You can advertise it as having a "Montessori-esque curriculum" ("Esque" is a fancy way of saying "like" or "based") but I wouldn't flat out advertise as a 'Montessori Daycare' or 'Montessori preschool' if you are not certified as a Montessori teacher. Plus remember that everychild is different and (IMHO) there is no "1 size fits all" approach when it comes to learning.
But that's exactly why Montessori works....because it *isn't* a mold but rather an approach that allows children with all different learning styles and abilities to thrive. The opportunity for utmost flexibility with minimal interference and individualized guidance is exactly the point.

It truly CAN work for all kids.
AmyKidsCo 12:42 PM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
But that's exactly why Montessori works....because it *isn't* a mold but rather an approach that allows children with all different learning styles and abilities to thrive. The opportunity for utmost flexibility with minimal interference and individualized guidance is exactly the point.

Right, but I'd still go with Montessori-Inspired to avoid any potential problems with parents who might think they're not getting the "real thing" because she isn't trained in Montessori, registered with a Montessori organization, etc. But I tend to err on the side of caution...
Starburst 05:32 PM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:

If that's what you believe or have experienced that's fine, but I had a terrible experience with a Montessori elementary class when I was a field trip tour guide. They were rude and aggressive! They threw popcorn at the peacocks (as well as threatening the peacocks) and one little boy took a little girls lunch bag and jumped on it until she cried. I had groups of all ages from home daycares, centers, and other private/public elementary schools and they were the worst group I ever worked with! And it wasn't just my group, the other tour guides who had that school said they were also rude and aggressive.

IK it's only one experience but that was enough for me!
Cradle2crayons 06:50 PM 07-03-2013
If that's what you believe or have experienced that's fine, but I am had a terrible experience with a Montessori elementary class when I was a field trip tour guide. They were rude and aggressive! They grew popcorn at the peacocks (as well as threatening the peacocks) and one little boy took a little girls lunch bag and jumped on it until she cried. I had groups of all ages from home daycares, centers, and other private/public elementary schools and they were the worst group I ever worked with! And it wasn't just my group, the other tour guides who had that school said they were also rude and aggressive.

About an hour from here there is a Montessori private school and I toured it once and my daughter took a class there when I home schooled her for first grade.

I LOVED their program. All of the kids there were very well mannered. I love how their fine arts program was structured as well. Each class was very small and had kids of various ages in there, all separated in rooms by their intellectual abilities and speed of learning.

Their entire program was awesome and it inspired me in my home schooling of my daughter as well.
Starburst 08:08 PM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
About an hour from here there is a Montessori private school and I toured it once and my daughter took a class there when I home schooled her for first grade.

I LOVED their program. All of the kids there were very well mannered. I love how their fine arts program was structured as well. Each class was very small and had kids of various ages in there, all separated in rooms by their intellectual abilities and speed of learning.

Their entire program was awesome and it inspired me in my home schooling of my daughter as well.
Again, that was just my experience so maybe that school had a weird approach to it. But for the field trip they were outside, not in an enclosed room. And they combined two teacher's classrooms so there was 30 kids total- that could have contributed to their wild streak.
Artsandcrafts 08:50 PM 07-03-2013
If that's what you believe or have experienced that's fine, but I had a terrible experience with a Montessori elementary class when I was a field trip tour guide. They were rude and aggressive! They grew popcorn at the peacocks (as well as threatening the peacocks) and one little boy took a little girls lunch bag and jumped on it until she cried. I had groups of all ages from home daycares, centers, and other private/public elementary schools and they were the worst group I ever worked with! And it wasn't just my group, the other tour guides who had that school said they were also rude and aggressive.

Any school can be called Montessori even if they are not following Montessori principles. No school will get a lawsuit for calling themselves Montessori even if they do not have anything to do with Montessori learning. I have visited several schools that call themselves Montessori and I have seen huge differences between them. Just a few of them look closer to what Maria Montessori told about in her books.
Tags:montessori
Reply Up