Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sleeping Arrangements
Indianadaycare 08:24 AM 07-17-2014
Wondering how you all handle naps in your home daycare. Do all your dck sleep/nap in same room? Is it a bedroom and a quiet room only for sleeping? Do any sleep in your main play area?
I have just one bedroom in my walk out basement (which is where I have my daycare) so all kids sleep in there. There's no other place for them to sleep, really, unless it was in the main playing room. I don't want them in the main room bc I think it's better for them to have a quiet bedroom. However I have different ages/different needs for sleep. When 12 month wakes up, he screams to get up. I don't want to wake the baby, so I get him right up. Before baby came, I would let him fuss for 10-15 minutes, and he'd always fall back asleep for another hour (or even two!) so I know he needs more sleep.
What do you do?
Blackcat31 08:53 AM 07-17-2014
My kids sleep wherever. I'm lucky enough to have a toddler room, a preschool room and a main play room.

Sometimes I put all the kids in one room to nap and sometimes, I split them up. Depends on who is here on a particular day, whether the older kids are going to play outside or not and whether I put music or an audio book on for the kids during nap.

My infants are trained to sleep in the middle of chaos. My PNP is in the middle of the house and when the baby needs sleep, the baby gets put down at whatever time of the day it is and goes to sleep.

The noise has never been an issue.

I vacuum when the kids are sleeping and no one is bothered by it.
Meeko 09:23 AM 07-17-2014
I have 16 kids. Bigger kids sleep on the playroom floor. Little ones sleep in cribs in the nursery which is just off of the playroom.
cara041083 09:24 AM 07-17-2014
I have been lucky enough to have 1 kid per room. However over the past month I have put them all in one room. I basically added 1 kid at a time. I liked having them in there own room but I had the gas company replacing all the gas lines on my street and I had a moment when I needed to get everyone outside do to a small leak and I found that in an emergency situation it was hard to go to each room while nap time to get everyone. Now that I have them in 1 room it's much easier if something was to happen. And to be honest I had never done a drill during nap time to see that before
coolconfidentme 09:37 AM 07-17-2014
I am lucky to have a boys nap room & a girls nap room. Girls have pink sparkly lights hanging along the walls & the boys have blue lights. No babies right now.
hope 09:38 AM 07-17-2014
I have a separate room I use for dc supplies and for pnp's for babies that a dark quiet room. Most of my babies can sleep wherever though. I have been known to prop up a pnp in my dining room or kitchen for real little ones so I can be around them while they sleep verses checking in by monitor or popping head in other room. Once a child is out of the pnp they can sleep in the playroom or spare room with the babies if good. Really depends on the day.
My3cents 10:02 AM 07-17-2014
I am a one room schoolhouse....lol.

My kids all have a special place to rest, if that doesn't work they get moved.

Come rest time they are all so tired it usually doesn't take long to get them down for nap and they know the routine. When a new kiddo comes in I start the regulars first so the new child can see how we work rest. Rest/quiet time is a non negotiable thing we do here. Its part of our routine

Best-
Play Care 10:03 AM 07-17-2014
I am able to keep my infants separate from the bigger kids. I would totally keep baby in the bedroom and nap the others in the bigger room - if legal in your state.
Meyou 10:49 AM 07-17-2014
Big kids sleep in the playroom and babies sleep in my family room.
BabyMonkeys 11:48 AM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My infants are trained to sleep in the middle of chaos. My PNP is in the middle of the house and when the baby needs sleep, the baby gets put down at whatever time of the day it is and goes to sleep.
How do you train your infants? When the babies get put down do they cry? I've seen lots of people talk about sleep training their infants, I just have no idea where to even start.
daycarechick 12:49 PM 07-17-2014
good question.... I have one 19mo that is used to sleeping alone, and in quiet. now I need to bring in 2 newbies. been so many years since I had multiples in one room am not sure how to do it now!! what to do about chatter, crying, slow dozes, early wakes... please, step-by-step advice.... (they will all be in cribs)
Blackcat31 12:59 PM 07-17-2014
Originally Posted by angelw2babies:
How do you train your infants? When the babies get put down do they cry? I've seen lots of people talk about sleep training their infants, I just have no idea where to even start.
I don't do the training.

Parents do. When they interview with me, I let them know right up front what "group care" means and what my licensing requirements for infants are (within sight AND sound at all times) and let them know that they need to figure out how to have baby on a regular schedule and have the ability to sleep through noise.

I suppose each parent does what works for them, but just knowing I won't keep an infant that can't sleep under those circumstances.

I do put the babies down for nap awake and alert. Part of learning to be independent is learning "how" to fall asleep. So I recommend to all interested parents of infants to NEVER rock their baby to sleep or hold them until they are a sleep before putting them down as part of their regular sleep routines.

I explain that infants will get put in bed awake.

I share as much resources and info I have with them about this.

Infant care (especially sleep issues) are one of the BIGGEST issues child care providers deal with and I prefer to "train" parent/clients on what my expectations are here verses having train their child once they get here.
Tags:naps
Reply Up