Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD - Pricing B & A School Question
momofboys 10:32 AM 06-12-2010
I am trying to figure out in what manner to price my B & A school care. This past year I priced it fairly low & the price did not include school delay days, early release, cancelled days b/c of poor weather, etc. I was considering pricing the B & A price a bit higher & saying it included all of these things so there would be no extra fees. Good idea? Bad idea? Why or why not? My previous parent seemed perturbed (sort of) when she was charged additional amounts for early releases, delays, etc. So I thought this might be better since her price would not fluctuate. However, there is only 1 early release day a month. This past year we did have 7 weather cancellations & probably 4-5 delay days. Thanks for your thoughts. I just can't decide whether parents would like to see the price lower overall & know they will have to pay extra some days or if they would prefer knowing the price will never change.
mac60 10:47 AM 06-12-2010
I don't understand why a parent should/would think that we should watch their child all day for free.

My school age rate is $35 per week. If there is a no school day, I add $10 to the weekly fee for each day school is cancelled. If school is delayed 1 or 2 hours due to fog or bad roads, I don't charge extra. Our schools are going to a 3 hour delay system in the fall, I may have to rethink this.
momofboys 11:01 AM 06-12-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I don't understand why a parent should/would think that we should watch their child all day for free.

My school age rate is $35 per week. If there is a no school day, I add $10 to the weekly fee. If school is delayed 1 or 2 hours due to fog or bad roads, I don't charge extra. Our schools are going to a 3 hour delay system in the fall, I may have to rethink this.
Wow, 3 hr delays! I wonder if we will be implementing that also since we now have so few calamity days available.
mac60 11:49 AM 06-12-2010
We used to have 2 bus runs each morning/afternoon. 1/2 kindy. Next year they are going 1 morning/afternoon bus run, staggering the different school start times by like 10 minutes, and I heard going to 3 hour delays so we don't have to make up days. It will also extend our school day on those days.
Chickenhauler 12:18 PM 06-12-2010
I think that a reasonable person would be amenable to paying for the services they receive, pay an additional fee on a snow day, no school day, etc vs a school day, or for a delayed start or early closing.

This is one of those cases where hourly rating systems work out in everyone's favor, it's hard for a parent to argue when the hours the child was in care are right there in front of them.
Rachel 10:21 PM 06-12-2010
I do school age care this year. The regular fee includes some days there is no school (they are spelled out specifically in the contract), and days the school closes early for parties, etc. (parents' responsibility to notify me in advance). I also write out if school is closed for any other reason, I may be able to provide care on other days for an extra fee. Then I list some examples such as structural problems with the school, acts of G/d, strikes, etc.
momma2girls 06:32 AM 06-13-2010
I have done school aged children before and after school- my fee is $50.00/week per child. Then you'd add $3.00 per hr. for early outs and late starts. Also if they have a day off, or cancelled- then tack on $15.00 for the rest of the day- to equal out $25.00 per day.
AfterSchoolMom 08:03 AM 06-13-2010
I have a base rate, then charge extra for everything - delays, early release days, and school holidays. I have it in my contract that parents pay whether or not they bring their kids, but if they're not here during a holiday, I don't charge the extra money. I've never had a parent complain about paying extra, though some of them leave the kids with Grandma or someone else to avoid the extra fee - which is fine with me, since I'm getting paid the regular amount anyway. My regular rate plus added fees equal out to 30ish per full day.
momma2girls 09:09 AM 06-13-2010
You do have to make sure you have everything spelled out, on all the different charges though. If not, you will be wondering, and if the parents don't pay extra, you will not be paid correctly!!!
Pammie 12:57 PM 06-13-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
You do have to make sure you have everything spelled out, on all the different charges though. If not, you will be wondering, and if the parents don't pay extra, you will not be paid correctly!!!
EXACTLY!

I have to spell it all out clearly for the parents of my school-age kids. I opt just to charge extra for the days that extra hours are needed:

------------------------------------------------------------------
Before School Only (7am-9am) - $8/day includes breakfast

After School Only (3pm-5pm) - $8/day includes pm snack

Before AND After school care on the SAME day (7-9 and 3-5) - $12/day includes breakfast and pm snack

Days when full day care is needed when school is canceled or closed (7am-5pm) $25/day includes breakfast, lunch and pm snack

Early Release Days (2pm-5pm) - $10/day, includes pm snack

Delayed Start Days -1 or 2 hour delay (7am-11am) - $10/day includes breakfast
-----------------------------------------------------------------

This way they know that they are ONLY paying for time that their child is actually at daycare - and there's no squabbling about amount of the check at the end of the week.
Hope this helps!
momofboys 06:23 PM 06-13-2010
Thanks everyone for your replies! That did help me! I think I will leave it the way I have it but add a LOT more clarification. Pammie, I like how you have that broken down. I may use that to explain the costs.
Tags:pricing
Reply Up