Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Payment During Coronavirus
Firefly 06:03 AM 03-18-2020
I ended up closing my daycare for now and told parents I would be charging 50% of their normal rate during this time. Two seem okay with that, one never responded to me, and one said she can’t afford to pay me and someone else to watch her child until I reopen. She asked that I don’t charge her! I don’t even know how to respond. How did your parents react? Are any refusing to pay?
Cat Herder 08:05 AM 03-18-2020
If they don't pay their tuition on Saturday/Sunday for the week in advance, I don't allow attendance and terminate their contract on Monday. Unless they come with cash, in hand.

I don't have a grace period.

"I am sorry to hear that. I will apply your deposit to this week's tuition and waive the second week's notice period. I will have ____'s things and your 2020 W-10 ready for you to pick up this afternoon."

I don't make them pay a deposit, I take no money from them once they are terminated. With money comes their desire to get even with you for giving them a no. If they think they came out ahead financially, they just go away.
delferka 08:41 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Firefly:
I ended up closing my daycare for now and told parents I would be charging 50% of their normal rate during this time. Two seem okay with that, one never responded to me, and one said she can’t afford to pay me and someone else to watch her child until I reopen. She asked that I don’t charge her! I don’t even know how to respond. How did your parents react? Are any refusing to pay?
I'm afraid this will happen to me as well!
Gemma 09:40 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
If they don't pay their tuition on Saturday/Sunday for the week in advance, I don't allow attendance and terminate their contract on Monday. Unless they come with cash, in hand.
This!

If this would've happened years ago, I would've been overwhelmed with fear of disappointing/losing families, but not today (Thanks to this Forum)!
I'm standing behind my policy, and if it means starting over with all new clients, so be it, but I refuse to be tested and pushed around by parents.
tenderhearts 10:11 AM 03-18-2020
I am really unsure of what to do with this. I do not have anything in my contract about having to close in an emergency like this. Even though most parents are getting paid I just feel like since it's not in my contract I can't do that. My contract states they have to pay if I'm not given the 2 week notice OR if they will be absent from care for 3 or more weeks then they need to pay 1/2 tuition to hold spot, but that really doesn't apply in this situation. So unsure of what to do.
Cat Herder 10:22 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I am really unsure of what to do with this. I do not have anything in my contract about having to close in an emergency like this. Even though most parents are getting paid I just feel like since it's not in my contract I can't do that. My contract states they have to pay if I'm not given the 2 week notice OR if they will be absent from care for 3 or more weeks then they need to pay 1/2 tuition to hold spot, but that really doesn't apply in this situation. So unsure of what to do.
You really need to update your payment policy. Many of us have already gone through extended closures (flooding, power outage, hurricane, tornado, etc.) that is why our policies are cut and dry. It isn't because we are heartless and cruel. We were left hung out to dry by heartless parents and useless state supports enough times to look out for ourselves, first.

You can start today by telling parents you will meet them halfway since this is an unprecedented event for you. Some may leave, but I bet most will stay.
Gemma 10:22 AM 03-18-2020
Something of this magnitude has never happened (not in our carrier time), you can take this opportunity to write/change your policies to accommodate YOUR needs during this difficult time.
Ms.Kay 10:25 AM 03-18-2020
Im in the same boat. I only have 2 with me today..one said not coming for the rest of the week. Ironically....the 5 scheduled to come all have a parents working from home...and 4 or.the 5 have school agers at home as well. I will be sending info out tonite....I am closing...and will be asking for 50% from each family.. the ones that give me shit...I will take back until I find a replacement. Im tired of being screwed. Im risking my own health to help them.
Firefly 11:06 AM 03-18-2020
If I was open and someone didn’t pay I would term but since I’m closed is it unreasonable to ask for half? Are any of your families having to pay someone else as well to watch their kid? And she didn’t like that I don’t know when I will reopen but how am I supposed to know that with what’s going on?!!
delferka 11:10 AM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay:
Im in the same boat. I only have 2 with me today..one said not coming for the rest of the week. Ironically....the 5 scheduled to come all have a parents working from home...and 4 or.the 5 have school agers at home as well. I will be sending info out tonite....I am closing...and will be asking for 50% from each family.. the ones that give me shit...I will take back until I find a replacement. Im tired of being screwed. Im risking my own health to help them.
Let me know how you're wording your notice. I'm in the same boat. Most of my kids parents work in the school system and are getting full pay. I think they're all going to try to avoid paying me even though they SAY they appreciate me so much
Jupadia 11:18 AM 03-18-2020
I have one client in limbo right now, they called last weekend said they would not be comming for two weeks. I'm waiting to see what happens with them.

The other pretty much pulled her kid, she paying for this week and next. I'm keeping her deposit on hold. If I get enough new clients before she decides it's safe to come back then I'll let her know and she can deside to keep the spot and start paying or get a refund at that time. If I dont get anyone new, which is probable right now, then I have one kid at least when things start back up again. Either way she was leaving, so hopefully it works out.
I've got no kids left comming this week or next.
Cat Herder 11:19 AM 03-18-2020
If I was open and someone didn’t pay I would term but since I’m closed is it unreasonable to ask for half? Are any of your families having to pay someone else as well to watch their kid? And she didn’t like that I don’t know when I will reopen but how am I supposed to know that with what’s going on?!!
It is reasonable to ask for full tuition. Parents are still being paid or will be eligible for unemployment. We are the only ones who will go without. There are no provisions or back up for us. Only them.
Firefly 12:22 PM 03-18-2020
It is reasonable to ask for full tuition. Parents are still being paid or will be eligible for unemployment. We are the only ones who will go without. There are no provisions or back up for us. Only them.
So true! She implied I was being unreasonable asking for half because she had to pay for temporary care for her child while I was closed and I was already putting her in a bind by closing in the first place. Yet I keep hearing about all these businesses that are closing but will still be paying their employees.
megoddess444 12:31 PM 03-18-2020
I only have 2 families at the moment. Getting clients this last year has been tough!! We are in a “shelter in place” mode. Both of my families are home. I told them I still need payment cause unlike them, I cannot file for unemployment and they are still getting paid. Both families pulled their children, so now I have none and have zero income.
After 20 years of daycare this is what broke me. No more daycare for me. I’m over the disrespect and being expendable.
On to greener pastures.
And when they call me after the quarantine lifts... I will say “sorry I filled your sot”
sunshst 12:58 PM 03-18-2020
My contract addresses everything (natural disasters, epidemics, pandemics, power outages, etc.). Payment is still due regardless unless parents decide to terminate the contract in which case I will immediately replace them with another family. I have been getting calls for child care from pre k-4, and I will replace everyone with bigger kids who need to be supervised during remote learning times since schools are out (if need be) unless I get paid. It's that simple.
Firefly 01:58 PM 03-18-2020
What exactly would you say to a parent who said they can’t afford to pay you while being closed?
delferka 02:21 PM 03-18-2020
I'm in the same boat. Not sure what to ask of these parents. I don't think they get it!
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 03-18-2020
What exactly would you say to a parent who said they can’t afford to pay you while being closed?
How do they afford to pay when you are open or are they not working?

If they are working, then they can afford to pay and if they aren't working I understand but I would have to let them go then as I have financial obligations regardless of whether a child is in attendance or not and like others have said self-employed business owners don't have the option of filing for unemployment benefits.
Cat Herder 03:19 PM 03-18-2020
I would tell them that their power, water and internet bills have been halted, no cut-offs are allowed until the State of Emergency is over. That I am their only bill that has no protection or federal reimbursement plan, therefore I cannot afford to not be paid.

Check out what your state is currently offering parents and see if you still feel sorry for them. They will also be able to apply for unemployment income until they go back to work. Not us. We are still out of luck, we can't even write off our lost income like other small business owners. Exactly why is that?
Firefly 04:29 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How do they afford to pay when you are open or are they not working?

If they are working, then they can afford to pay and if they aren't working I understand but I would have to let them go then as I have financial obligations regardless of whether a child is in attendance or not and like others have said self-employed business owners don't have the option of filing for unemployment benefits.
I’m sorry, let me clarify. I closed my daycare but she is still working. Since she has to find other care arrangements for her child she feels she shouldn’t have to pay for care that’s not being provided.
Ariana 04:39 PM 03-18-2020
It is such a stressful situation for both parties! Some are getting laid off and can’t afford to pay but providers can’t afford to not charge. Everyone who is employed however can get government funding.

Here in Canada we are going to be able to apply for emergency funding. $900 biweekly for 15 weeks. We are also getting child benefits.
WBee 06:40 PM 03-18-2020
I'm not charging. I was open and got paid this week and no one came. I can't afford to lose clients when this is over so if it's only for three weeks then I will just deal with it. I'm going to be closing my daycare this summer and don't want to start any new kids before then anyways so I'll keep the families I have by doing so. Going back to school to get my Masters degree in teaching. So done with the issues of this business. My husband doesn't want to deal with any of it anymore either.
Unregisterebonsiababy 06:56 PM 03-18-2020
I totally get where she is coming from. It would be different if she was off work and still wanting to send her child. But she is working and to ask her to pay double daycare fees because you choose to close it probably doesn't seem fair to her and really puts her in a financial bind. You run the risk that if she finds someone else to take care of her child anyway then you are out of money long term. Giving her a 50% discount now would be a compromise she might go for,
I’m sorry, let me clarify. I closed my daycare but she is still working. Since she has to find other care arrangements for her child she feels she shouldn’t have to pay for care that’s not being provided.

Lil_Diddle 07:57 PM 03-18-2020
Originally Posted by Unregisterebonsiababy:
I totally get where she is coming from. It would be different if she was off work and still wanting to send her child. But she is working and to ask her to pay double daycare fees because you choose to close it probably doesn't seem fair to her and really puts her in a financial bind. You run the risk that if she finds someone else to take care of her child anyway then you are out of money long term. Giving her a 50% discount now would be a compromise she might go for,
I agree, if the family has proven to be good to you, it might be time to look at it through her eyes? Do they seem financially able to handle the strain of extra childcare?
dmulcahy729 02:01 AM 03-19-2020
I'm in the same boat. I am unable to only request 50% payment though. All of my parents are still working (from home) and getting paid, no one is paying someone else to care for their kids. I need help in how to word a letter telling them that tuition still needs to be paid otherwise I need to close
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by dmulcahy729:
I'm in the same boat. I am unable to only request 50% payment though. All of my parents are still working (from home) and getting paid, no one is paying someone else to care for their kids. I need help in how to word a letter telling them that tuition still needs to be paid otherwise I need to close
If you are open I would simply tell parents that fees are due like normal. Fees are based on enrollment not attendance or time used.

I explained to my families that regardless of whether kids are present or not, the child care still has financial obligations that need to be paid.
Firefly 07:14 AM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Unregisterebonsiababy:
That’s what I’m doing, charging 50% and that’s what she didn’t like.
DaddyDaycare 01:05 PM 03-19-2020
I don't own a daycare (thought about opening one last year). We live in California (Orange county), which is under similar shelter in place orders. We pay ~$2k/month for our 13-month daughter. Our daycare is a chain and not an in-home or small center.

Our daycare closed this week and next. This was communicated to us right before more formal government guidance were released, and there's just a note that we'll figure out billing later. We're not sure what happens after next week and I'm sure our daycare doesn't either. We're OK with that for now as we love our teachers and wouldn't want them to not be paid during this time. But we also wouldn't want to continue in our present situation for too long.

My wife and I are now both working from home, and it's a challenge. We're lucky our income isn't affected but we also have demanding jobs. We're currently taking turns using PTO and have arranged for a nanny a few days a week. We're essentially paying an extra $500-$600 per week for supplemental daycare.

Of course we want to support our daycare but this is a lot of extra spending on our end for what is essentially services not rendered. We're willing to wait until end of the month to reevaluate, but if the daycare will be closed for another month, I'm not sure we'll be willing to keep paying full tuition. It'll depend on how much, and for how long.

When we discussed this, we thought about a few angles: Is there loss of use insurance for a business? Will there be assistance from the government for businesses like these that are hard hit? We don't know how we'll handle this but thought I'd share a perspective from the parent/consumer side. It isn't like we're chilling out at home - we're also frustrated trying to figure out our new normal.
GuestParent 01:31 PM 03-19-2020
This is going to be a difficult situation all around.

As someone whose immediate income won't be affected, I'm happy to pay full fee (or close to it) for some reasonable period. In my mind, that is 2 - 4 weeks.

We are working remotely. The work is still there. In order for my income not to be affected, both my husband and I are working nights/evenings/weekends to get our hours in and using paid leave to make up the difference. (We aren't yet willing to hire a nanny/sitter due to wanting to limit exposure.) In addition to loving the stimulation / development / teaching that happens in care, the reason we pay a lot of $$ for childcare is because we cannot do this long term. We'll run out of paid leave and energy. I fear the closures are going to go on for 12-18 months. I cannot pay for childcare I can't use for that long, even if we both keep our jobs. I haven't made any decisions based on this fear yet.

Many parents are already suffering loss of income or know that it is imminent.

I hope the (forced) closures are shorter than I'm imagining. Very few parents will be able/willing to pay for months on end if you are closed (by choice or by law). I hope that the government comes up with an emergency plan to help childcare businesses stay afloat / survive if it extends out. I don't see any other reasonable solution that can work for both parents and providers. This is pretty unprecedented.
GuestParent2 02:31 PM 03-19-2020
So I'm a parent in the same boat. We've been asked to pay up 50% of tuition next week even though the owner (three centers) has told his entire staff to go get unemployment.

So I sent him a note saying that sounds unfair because it is.

25%, sure - you have to pay yourself and the rent. But 50% when none of the staff is being paid? That's just not right. That's taking advantage of a bad situation to line your pockets.
CountryRoads 02:56 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by GuestParent2:
So I'm a parent in the same boat. We've been asked to pay up 50% of tuition next week even though the owner (three centers) has told his entire staff to go get unemployment.

25%, sure - you have to pay yourself and the rent. But 50% when none of the staff is being paid? That's just not right. That's taking advantage of a bad situation to line your pockets.
Personally, I think 50% is very fair.

They are a business and still have expenses whether kids are in attendance or not.
Cat Herder 03:18 PM 03-19-2020
Centers just finished paying for their employee's recertifications, training hours, background checks and extra costs associated with QRIS assessment and Accreditation. Many also provide free childcare for employees year round. It could not have hit at a worse time financially for so many.

They will be paid in full for the subsidy kids, but there will be no reimbursement for private pay kids. None.
Unregistered 08:03 AM 03-20-2020

As the owner of a large daycare center who will be laying off our employees today due to State-mandated closure, I can tell you labor represents 60% of our expenses. The only expenses we're not incurring during this open-ended closure is labor, food and supplies. All other expenses continue to accrue: rent, debt service, utilities, insurance, etc. We're asking for 50% and I think that's more than fair. However, we're not going to get it as most are using their accrued vacation for the first two weeks. I predict parents begin dropping like flies when the vacation runs out. Good luck asking us to come back - that is if we're still here. I'm terrified our business won't survive this.
Annalee 09:19 AM 03-20-2020
Centers just finished paying for their employee's recertifications, training hours, background checks and extra costs associated with QRIS assessment and Accreditation. Many also provide free childcare for employees year round. It could not have hit at a worse time financially for so many.

They will be paid in full for the subsidy kids, but there will be no reimbursement for private pay kids. None.
QRIS is put on hold here. We are receiving no licensing visits, either, unless there is a complaint. We have NO ratios at this point as long as we have volunteers. I am not taking any new kids but many are advertising about daily part-time care.

I have 12 kids but only 8 parents and I'm hoping the small group will be a good thing helping to survive this crisis.

We were closed Thurs and Fri for spring break anyway this week.

I do think there will gradually be a 14 day shutdown implemented but so far my parents are working from home and I'm getting paid. I have been down on children so I hope the communication/working together continues.

To be honest, my crew have been very good thus far. Hoping it continues!
Cat Herder 04:06 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
QRIS is put on hold here. We are receiving no licensing visits, either, unless there is a complaint. We have NO ratios at this point as long as we have volunteers. I am not taking any new kids but many are advertising about daily part-time care.

I have 12 kids but only 8 parents and I'm hoping the small group will be a good thing helping to survive this crisis.

We were closed Thurs and Fri for spring break anyway this week.

I do think there will gradually be a 14 day shutdown implemented but so far my parents are working from home and I'm getting paid. I have been down on children so I hope the communication/working together continues.

To be honest, my crew have been very good thus far. Hoping it continues!
Nothing has changed for us.

I have been open, every one autopay's, everyone comes. I closed today, but they have all known about this planned closure for 24 months, now.

The risk of the state forcing me to close seems to be over. They have asked me to take in more kids but I promised my clients I would not. All of them have been here since their first were newborns. All are 18 months and up, now. All are open to close with few absences, so are more like siblings at this point, anyway.

All of my clients (4 families/sibling groups) are working from home now, but all intend to be here every day. They all feel their kids are safer here with us (DH and I) with our medical training and supplies. It is so different than I expected it to go. I am well prepared to shelter in place with all 6 kids for up to 3 weeks if needed. All the grocery stores have stayed open so far and the local farms are taking appointments, so I don't see us hitting true hardship. I will need my spring break vacation, though. I guess I will have to make it a staycation, now, though.
Annalee 05:01 PM 03-20-2020
Nothing has changed for us.

I have been open, every one autopay's, everyone comes. I closed today, but they have all known about this planned closure for 24 months, now.

The risk of the state forcing me to close seems to be over. They have asked me to take in more kids but I promised my clients I would not. All of them have been here since their first were newborns. All are 18 months and up, now. All are open to close with few absences, so are more like siblings at this point, anyway.

All of my clients (4 families/sibling groups) are working from home now, but all intend to be here every day. They all feel their kids are safer here with us (DH and I) with our medical training and supplies. It is so different than I expected it to go. I am well prepared to shelter in place with all 6 kids for up to 3 weeks if needed. All the grocery stores have stayed open so far and the local farms are taking appointments, so I don't see us hitting true hardship. I will need my spring break vacation, though. I guess I will have to make it a staycation, now, though.
I'm expecting our governor to impose "shelter in place" order any time. Maybe I'm wrong but we are having more persons to test positive rapidly increasing??? Maybe I'm wrong but
Cat Herder 05:34 PM 03-20-2020
I'm expecting our governor to impose "shelter in place" order any time. Maybe I'm wrong but we are having more persons to test positive rapidly increasing??? Maybe I'm wrong but
They expected that. The tests just got here. It is, so far, following predicted spread to my knowledge.
flying_babyb 10:10 AM 03-21-2020
I fear a shelter in place too, but alas my center will be open, were essential and take care of medical,first reponder kids (and were asked by state if we would consider going 24/7 which would mean I can get some good hours lol)
delferka 12:16 PM 03-21-2020
Originally Posted by dmulcahy729:
Same exact boat!!!
Unregistered 09:42 PM 03-21-2020
This is all so hard to decide what to do. One or both of all my parents are working from home, some are off and all still getting paid. It is in my contract that in emergency closures, regular tuition is due. Half my payments were late but I did receive all the families tuition checks last week. I will just see how it goes. A couple weeks is one thing but if it’s decided we have to close longer than that, I know people are going to not be happy about it. I plan to continue with full tuition and if they decide not to pay I will explain that the spot will not be available when it’s time to return. That should encourage everyone to pay. It’s only fair. Stay strong everyone. Praying we stay healthy and this is over soon.
dmulcahy729 02:45 AM 03-23-2020
I sent a letter and told them that in order for me to remain open, tuition is still due. I still have expenses to keep the daycare operating, insurance, heat, electricity, etc. Out of my 4 families, 2 were AMAZING. One ignored the email (we'll see what happens this week if payment is made), and one had a response of "sure".
Unregistered 06:29 AM 03-23-2020
As a parent I'd walk. You aren't the first care giver on this thread to state that "the parents are still getting paid". You realize they are doing a job for the money, right? And on top of doing that job they've either had to take on the full role of caregiver or find alternative home-based care? The kids didn't just vanish.

After reading through the thread and talking with the center director my own kids are enrolled with, 50% seems like a good compromise. It'll keep the center open and, honestly, most states who've mandated daycare closures have updated their unemployment insurance benefits to include daycare owners. I encourage you to take a look. If it is, that usually accommodates the recipient with 75% of pay - which is better for you in the long run.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This is all so hard to decide what to do. One or both of all my parents are working from home, some are off and all still getting paid. It is in my contract that in emergency closures, regular tuition is due. Half my payments were late but I did receive all the families tuition checks last week. I will just see how it goes. A couple weeks is one thing but if it’s decided we have to close longer than that, I know people are going to not be happy about it. I plan to continue with full tuition and if they decide not to pay I will explain that the spot will not be available when it’s time to return. That should encourage everyone to pay. It’s only fair. Stay strong everyone. Praying we stay healthy and this is over soon.

Cat Herder 06:48 AM 03-23-2020
As a parent I'd walk. You aren't the first care giver on this thread to state that "the parents are still getting paid". You realize they are doing a job for the money, right? And on top of doing that job they've either had to take on the full role of caregiver or find alternative home-based care? The kids didn't just vanish.

After reading through the thread and talking with the center director my own kids are enrolled with, 50% seems like a good compromise. It'll keep the center open and, honestly, most states who've mandated daycare closures have updated their unemployment insurance benefits to include daycare owners. I encourage you to take a look. If it is, that usually accommodates the recipient with 75% of pay - which is better for you in the long run.
The majority of the posters here are those "alternative" home-based providers. There is no help for us. If we go away, what would you guys do then?
Unregistered 07:18 AM 03-23-2020
I have no idea. But I think saying that parents are still making money so they should pay 100% is hurtful and damaging to the relationship. It's not something I say particularly lightly either. If it were up to me then this crisis wouldn't have begun in the first place -- but here we are! And everyone is suffering.

And while I appreciate the general audience of this board, I don't think anyone like to make decisions in an echo chamber. That's why I spoke up. Yes - I think I can speak for all parents and say I appreciate what you do for us and our children. But it's really hard to make a full childcare payment when we're hemorrhaging money ourselves.
Annalee 07:22 AM 03-23-2020
I have no idea. But I think saying that parents are still making money so they should pay 100% is hurtful and damaging to the relationship. It's not something I say particularly lightly either. If it were up to me then this crisis wouldn't have begun in the first place -- but here we are! And everyone is suffering.

And while I appreciate the general audience of this board, I don't think anyone like to make decisions in an echo chamber. That's why I spoke up. Yes - I think I can speak for all parents and say I appreciate what you do for us and our children. But it's really hard to make a full childcare payment when we're hemorrhaging money ourselves.
From a daycare provider standpoint: it can be damaging to the relationship if the client doesn't pay as well.
Unregistered 08:09 AM 03-23-2020
From a daycare provider standpoint: it can be damaging to the relationship if the client doesn't pay as well.
I'm not saying that the client shouldn't pay anything -- unless this goes for months. In which case there's some serious issues with our government safety net. (Yes - I know there are a million issues here... but that's not the clients fault either).

Given the circumstances 100% just seems like too much. 50% seems more than fair considering that we aren't talking about the parents taking an extended vacation here... they're needing to self-isolate because of a world pandemic.
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 03-23-2020
I'm not saying that the client shouldn't pay anything -- unless this goes for months. In which case there's some serious issues with our government safety net. (Yes - I know there are a million issues here... but that's not the clients fault either).

Given the circumstances 100% just seems like too much. 50% seems more than fair considering that we aren't talking about the parents taking an extended vacation here... they're needing to self-isolate because of a world pandemic.
I feel I am being fair to my clients. I am open, all of them are working from home and all of their kids are here. Full tuition is being paid and full services offered. If they choose not to come, they still pay.

If I choose to close, I won't charge.

If I am forced to close, I will charge 50%.

Anyone who chooses not to pay their invoice based on the above will be terminated, immediately. I have met them halfway.
Annalee 09:23 AM 03-23-2020
I feel I am being fair to my clients. I am open, all of them are working from home and all of their kids are here. Full tuition is being paid and full services offered. If they choose not to come, they still pay.

Anyone who chooses not to pay their invoice based on the above will be terminated, immediately. I have met them halfway.
I don't plan on choosing to close unless my family or families in my care are diagnosed with coronavirus, but if I'm forced to close then I will expect full payment.
Gemma 10:28 AM 03-23-2020
I'm still open there for I expect payment in full, even from the families that choose to keep their child home.
I did suggest that they use vacation time, since I allow 4 weeks at no charge, I was surprised only 1 family went for it.
GuestParent2 10:57 AM 03-23-2020
That's an ENTIRELY different situation Cat Herder! And yeah - if your state hasn't shut down chid care centers yet, sure! But I'm referring to all the places where care has been temporarily (but long term) shuttered for all but essential personnel. In those cases, asking for 100% tuition is INSANE to me, because there's nobody there. They aren't allowed to be.

So there are two different conversations happening I think - one where care is still open and if parents choose not to attend then they don't have to but normal rules apply (although - I'm not certain keeping daycares open or attending is smart.. but that's my opinion). The other is care in states where it has been shut down by the state. In those places it needs to have a cost reduction and those carers need to apply for unemployment (as such as the states have changed their usual approval mandates to approve these claims.. which is many).

Blackcat31 11:33 AM 03-23-2020
The other is care in states where it has been shut down by the state. In those places it needs to have a cost reduction and those carers need to apply for unemployment (as such as the states have changed their usual approval mandates to approve these claims.. which is many).
Those providers in those states are not eligible for unemployment benefits. That is where the issue lies for so many of these providers.

Many would choose to stay open but they aren't allowed.

I don't see them charging full tuition as the wrong thing to do.
Cat Herder 11:39 AM 03-23-2020
That's an ENTIRELY different situation Cat Herder! And yeah - if your state hasn't shut down chid care centers yet, sure! But I'm referring to all the places where care has been temporarily (but long term) shuttered for all but essential personnel. In those cases, asking for 100% tuition is INSANE to me, because there's nobody there. They aren't allowed to be.

So there are two different conversations happening I think - one where care is still open and if parents choose not to attend then they don't have to but normal rules apply (although - I'm not certain keeping daycares open or attending is smart.. but that's my opinion). The other is care in states where it has been shut down by the state. In those places it needs to have a cost reduction and those carers need to apply for unemployment (as such as the states have changed their usual approval mandates to approve these claims.. which is many).
Then you will just love what my state is doing.

They gave permission for owners to only close the subsidized classrooms guaranteeing full state pay for those kids without attendance. Then they are encouraging those centers to fill those slots/classrooms with private pay clients of essential employees.

Many shut down and laid off employees because they made the decision before the "will still be paid for state clients" announcement, here. It was their choice, though. No one was mandated to close, here. The opposite, they are asking us to take on more kids.
GuestParent2 12:16 PM 03-23-2020
And my republican friends laugh at me when I say daycare should part of the public school system and free for everyone who needs it.

What you folks are going through is insane. There are no words of wisdom (except, really, look at the updated unemployment and hope that those stimulus checks come through).

But, if nothing else, there's an understanding - everyone is going through a tough time right now. Everyone. And if you aren't right now, you soon will be.

Hope you and your families all stay safe and healthy!!
Cat Herder 12:21 PM 03-23-2020
And my republican friends laugh at me when I say daycare should part of the public school system and free for everyone who needs it.
If that were the case, no one would have childcare right now. I also would never buy another home.
e.j. 12:34 PM 03-23-2020
and, honestly, most states who've mandated daycare closures have updated their unemployment insurance benefits to include daycare owners. I encourage you to take a look. If it is, that usually accommodates the recipient with 75% of pay - which is better for you in the long run.
May I ask where you got your information?
This is what I just received from EEC in my state which has mandated that most day cares close:

"Currently self-employed individuals and 1099 contract employees are not eligible for unemployment benefits. If the President of the United States makes a disaster unemployment declaration for Massachusetts or nationwide, the self-employed and 1099 contractors would become eligible for unemployment assistance. This is already coded into the DUA system and would be available immediately upon declaration and press release announcement."

I sure hope the President makes a disaster declaration if it means I'd be eligible for unemployment benefits but so far, that's not the case.
GuestParent 02:34 PM 03-23-2020
There isn't a good answer. You shouldn't lose your income because of a global disaster, and have no safety net. Parents shouldn't pay for childcare they can't use for weeks/months on end. Parents are now working round the clock trying to keep up with their full time jobs, while also doing (a part of) the job they usually pay you to do.

I have confidence unemployment rules will be adjusted as they are indicating - but they need to move faster so providers can make plans without jeopardizing themselves.

Until more is known, I hope that parents who can afford to pay, do pay, at least for some reasonable closure period. I hope that providers that are able to give parents a break, do give parents a break on tuition. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 03-23-2020
Originally Posted by GuestParent:
There isn't a good answer. You shouldn't lose your income because of a global disaster, and have no safety net. Parents shouldn't pay for childcare they can't use for weeks/months on end. Parents are now working round the clock trying to keep up with their full time jobs, while also doing (a part of) the job they usually pay you to do.

I have confidence unemployment rules will be adjusted as they are indicating - but they need to move faster so providers can make plans without jeopardizing themselves.

Until more is known, I hope that parents who can afford to pay, do pay, at least for some reasonable closure period. I hope that providers that are able to give parents a break, do give parents a break on tuition. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!
For months, yes I agree but paying for child care isn't just about paying for the day to day services they receive.

That line of thinking is why this is such a dilemma for so many on both sides.
Unregistered 03:19 PM 03-24-2020
If I remember correctly you have to be an S Corp in order to become an a “employee“ that you can pay yourself and pay into the unemployment insurance.

Originally Posted by e.j.:
May I ask where you got your information?
This is what I just received from EEC in my state which has mandated that most day cares close:

"Currently self-employed individuals and 1099 contract employees are not eligible for unemployment benefits. If the President of the United States makes a disaster unemployment declaration for Massachusetts or nationwide, the self-employed and 1099 contractors would become eligible for unemployment assistance. This is already coded into the DUA system and would be available immediately upon declaration and press release announcement."

I sure hope the President makes a disaster declaration if it means I'd be eligible for unemployment benefits but so far, that's not the case.

Unregistered 03:21 PM 03-24-2020
You do realize schools are closed so nobody would have daycare.

What you folks are going through is insane. There are no words of wisdom (except, really, look at the updated unemployment and hope that those stimulus checks come through).

But, if nothing else, there's an understanding - everyone is going through a tough time right now. Everyone. And if you aren't right now, you soon will be.

Hope you and your families all stay safe and healthy!!

Firefly 06:35 AM 03-26-2020
Since I am closed I told parents I would charge 50%. How long is fair to keep doing this? I really have no idea how long I will be closed until I see how this all plays out. I’m not comfortable being open right now and I know sooner or later I won’t have any income.
LITTLESTARS 06:56 AM 03-26-2020
I have sent a letter home with the mandatory closing which was from march 23 to april 6th now my Governor Charle Baker has extended closure for schools and Daycares till MAY 4TH OMGGG . I had parents calling and texting me at all times last night didnt pick up or replied to my parents since I too dont know what to do . I'm currently brainstorming. I did tell parents the the first two weeks closures are to be pailed in full and if this is extended I would require 50% . I had one parent call me saying it's unfair to charge full time. I had another parent tell me yesterday that she was played off untill this passes she can even do the 50% of the tuition. Today I have all these parents trying to talk me out of the 50% payment which I'm keeping valid no matter what. What should I do.
Cat Herder 07:28 AM 03-26-2020
Originally Posted by LITTLESTARS:
I have sent a letter home with the mandatory closing which was from march 23 to april 6th now my Governor Charle Baker has extended closure for schools and Daycares till MAY 4TH OMGGG . I had parents calling and texting me at all times last night didnt pick up or replied to my parents since I too dont know what to do . I'm currently brainstorming. I did tell parents the the first two weeks closures are to be pailed in full and if this is extended I would require 50% . I had one parent call me saying it's unfair to charge full time. I had another parent tell me yesterday that she was played off untill this passes she can even do the 50% of the tuition. Today I have all these parents trying to talk me out of the 50% payment which I'm keeping valid no matter what. What should I do.
I always lean on the side of enforcing your policies consistently. Stick with what you told them and don't waiver.

I am so sorry.
Unregistered 07:47 AM 03-26-2020
I think it would be beneficial for many to watch the seminar that Tom Copeland presented on Dealing with the financial side of the coronavirus. It is free. I found it very interesting and informative. When you think of the money youre charging as a "holding fee", it makes much more sense.

I also understand why some of the parents don't want to pay for care while their not using it, but to be so rude and belittling about it is unacceptable. To them I would say, "fine, walk then". Who wants someone like this in their day care? Keep the ones that love and appreciate you and to heck with the others.
Msdunny 08:28 AM 03-26-2020
Our area is going into mandated self-quarantine tomorrow. I sent parents an email, asking them to pay 1/2 rate minus 25% for the next month (I do not have any parents deemed 'essential to the infrastructure'). That came to $80/week for families. 2 thought it was more than fair, 1 is ok with it for the time being (her husband may lose his job in all this),and one hasn't replied. She will most likely get a full-rate invoice today so maybe I can get some kind of response from her.

Thankfully, my husband can work from home, and he started working at Target over the holidays part-time. He loves keeping busy at Target, so he will stay there even if his full-time job shuts down for a while. We have savings, so I am ok to just ask for place-holder tuition for a while. I did tell parents that if I don't have any income, I will most likely have to go to Target also, and my not re-open at the end of all of this. I am bored every day, though, with no kiddos here - the aggravation is worth the brain activity!
Cat Herder 10:30 AM 03-26-2020
My state just closed schools for another month "at least".

This is only going to get more complicated. Parents are contacting licensing to get them involved in how we charge. That will go over like a lead balloon if they get involved.
Annalee 10:41 AM 03-26-2020

This is only going to get more complicated. Parents are contacting licensing to get them involved in how we charge. That will go over like a lead balloon if they get involved.
Yes; parents are on the news here complaining about the pay. So far licensing has stood their ground stating its a providers choice how they charge. 👍
Annalee 10:45 AM 03-26-2020

One parent said it was the daycares fault because she was trying to work from home and her two preschoolers were getting too much screen time cause her daycare was closed.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 03-26-2020
One parent said it was the daycares fault because she was trying to work from home and her two preschoolers were getting too much screen time cause her daycare was closed.
We have one complaining that her poor kids are acting out violently at home because school is closed. She simply can't take much more of this behavior, public schools should think about the children. What about the childrens needs??

The first response said "The state didnt have yall kids. You the Parent did it all by your self. Now you deal with it. It's time for parents to do there jobs.Some of these Parents is really about to get to know there kids . Maybe this Order want be such a bad thang after all. Now parents get a second chance to learn more about your family."

And then I laughed so hard I accidentally spit water all over my keyboard, it stopped working and I had to set up my husband's old one as a backup until my new one arrives. Still worth it.
getnsmart 07:39 AM 03-27-2020

all about putting back for rainy days. This is included when you have children
Unregistered 09:31 AM 03-30-2020
As a parent, I’d be OK paying full tuition for two weeks, 50% for the other two. If it goes beyond that, I will pull my child. After all this is over, I will enroll my child at another daycare, maybe even pay extra elsewhere, for a better daycare business. Daycares here are a dime a dozen.

Luckily our current daycare is not pulling this full tuition even if things like “epidemics, pandemics, or hell on earth” happens type of crap.
CountryRoads 10:16 AM 03-30-2020
Our governor ordered closures for all daycares. I could choose to care for essential employees kids', but I personally didn't feel it was worth it to stay open for 1, maybe 2 kids.

I'm not charging for when I'm closed. It originally was a 2 week closure, now it has been extended to 4 weeks.

I was really hoping that parents would see how much of a loss I'm taking from something that is out of my control and pay me more than what I billed for, but silly me for thinking that would ever happen! All of them are still working and I feel like I do so much for them and their children. Even paying for an extra couple days would have been amazing. *sigh* Oh, well. At least most of them paid me right away instead of waiting until last minute. I know I shouldn't expect families to think about the position I'm in, but it sure makes me feel unappreciated. I did get one thank you from a parent for staying open as long as I did, so that was nice
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 03-30-2020
As a parent, I’d be OK paying full tuition for two weeks, 50% for the other two. If it goes beyond that, I will pull my child. After all this is over, I will enroll my child at another daycare, maybe even pay extra elsewhere, for a better daycare business. Daycares here are a dime a dozen.

Luckily our current daycare is not pulling this full tuition even if things like “epidemics, pandemics, or hell on earth” happens type of crap.
Hopefully your provider talks to other providers.

I know after this is said and done, the first question of parents calling for care will be why they left their previous provider.

Attitude about this situation will be the deciding factor for me and your last sentence says alot about how much you care about and/or respect the person caring for your child(ren).

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/child...b6eab77944237a
Cat Herder 10:48 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Our governor ordered closures for all daycares. I could choose to care for essential employees kids', but I personally didn't feel it was worth it to stay open for 1, maybe 2 kids.

I'm not charging for when I'm closed. It originally was a 2 week closure, now it has been extended to 4 weeks.

I was really hoping that parents would see how much of a loss I'm taking from something that is out of my control and pay me more than what I billed for, but silly me for thinking that would ever happen! All of them are still working and I feel like I do so much for them and their children. Even paying for an extra couple days would have been amazing. *sigh* Oh, well. At least most of them paid me right away instead of waiting until last minute. I know I shouldn't expect families to think about the position I'm in, but it sure makes me feel unappreciated. I did get one thank you from a parent for staying open as long as I did, so that was nice
I am so sorry. Ours still only has the "no more than 10 people" rule. What reason did he give for the change today?
Cat Herder 10:50 AM 03-30-2020

I know after this is said and done, the first question of parents calling for care will be why they left their previous provider.

Attitude about this situation will be the deciding factor for me and your last sentence says alot about how much you care about and/or respect the person caring for your child(ren).

Right? Our local providers' groups already know who to avoid and why.
daycarediva 11:14 AM 03-30-2020
I am remaining open.

Parents who are quarantined or decided to NOT have their child attend had two options.

-Terminate contract, pay final tuition bill
-Pay 1/2 rate for the duration of the pandemic.

I may be the odd provider out, but I disagree with closing AND charging 100% tuition. If the parent is working/working from home they may be paying double for care. If they aren't working they may/may not be being paid. I also don't incur 100% of costs when the kids are (all) absent. I would meet them halfway at 50%.

All of our centers are shut down and I am almost full but with essential personnel. I could replace, they even increased my license, but decided not to for the increased risk with more children present.

I have a child in private school and we are paying FULL tuition, the teachers are being paid 1/2. IMHO they aren't even incurring their regular expenses as they aren't paying their staff full wages.

I have 4-6 months in savings, (depending on expenses/taxes), both personal and business so I'm trying to hold out as long as possible with a full roster until I have to draw on that.
CountryRoads 11:18 AM 03-30-2020
I am so sorry. Ours still only has the "no more than 10 people" rule. What reason did he give for the change today?
We've been getting more and more cases the past couple weeks. It's not just daycares that have to close, but also all public spaces.
Annalee 11:20 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am remaining open.

Parents who are quarantined or decided to NOT have their child attend had two options.

-Terminate contract, pay final tuition bill
-Pay 1/2 rate for the duration of the pandemic.

I may be the odd provider out, but I disagree with closing AND charging 100% tuition. If the parent is working/working from home they may be paying double for care. If they aren't working they may/may not be being paid. I also don't incur 100% of costs when the kids are (all) absent. I would meet them halfway at 50%.

All of our centers are shut down and I am almost full but with essential personnel. I could replace, they even increased my license, but decided not to for the increased risk with more children present.

I have a child in private school and we are paying FULL tuition, the teachers are being paid 1/2. IMHO they aren't even incurring their regular expenses as they aren't paying their staff full wages.

I have 4-6 months in savings, (depending on expenses/taxes), both personal and business so I'm trying to hold out as long as possible with a full roster until I have to draw on that.
My parents are all working from home or within the hospital, or a teacher who is getting paid. I plan to charge if the state makes me close. I'm only having 4-5 per day since this started.
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
We've been getting more and more cases the past couple weeks. It's not just daycares that have to close, but also all public spaces.
Got it. We do, too. 2683 with 83 dead, so far. They are not going to close daycares, though. Well, not family providers, anyway. We can only keep 6 kids regardless so it had virtually no effect on us unless we chose to close or had several family members living in our homes.

The "10 per contained room rule" made many centers close. They are forcing them to pay the Pre-K teachers to stay home and also provide care for those same kids in the regular daycare for up to 6.5 hours per day if their parents are working. The centers get to keep the subsidy funds to cover those pre-k teachers and closed classrooms but not the teachers they are having to pay to watch the pre-k kids, now, or the paying kids they are forcing out. Many are reporting a loss of 60-70% of paid enrollment.

This is actually hitting the centers here much worse than private providers now. And they extended it until April 30th. I am really shocked by that. I expected there to more resources for centers since they provide so many jobs. Their employees are eligible for unemployment (if they made enough last year) but to my knowledge, the owners are not.
Meeko 01:38 PM 03-30-2020
Daycare providers that are FORCED to close by licensing ARE included in the relief package and are able to claim unemployment......as long as you can prove income and loss of it. So a tax return and a letter from your state licensing office telling you to close, would work.

If you CHOOSE to close, you are probably not eligible.
Cat Herder 01:57 PM 03-30-2020
Originally Posted by Meeko:
If you CHOOSE to close, you are probably not eligible.
That is my understanding as well. Most states declared us essential.

I have been looking at Facebook posts of these news stations and the biased reporting bashing providers that must still charge clients while closed, then also bashing us as money-grubbing if we stay open. Which is it? Will they only be happy if we all just start working for free? Unbelievable.

example: https://upnorthlive.com/news/local/t...rKxkOYbsK_-h10
MomBoss 02:06 PM 03-30-2020

I agree with this. I had 4 out of 5 families leave.
#1- Left because they are a teacher and are working from home and only needed care until the end of the school uear. So I understand.
#2- Part time child, keeping home due to childs autoimmune disease. Still paying full tuition. Parent is getting unemployment.
#3- Had to pull child because parent cant afford to hold the spot. Self employed, no unemployment. Want to re enroll if i have openings once this is all over. So I understand and will let them.
#4- part time child. Keeping home do to working from home. Paying full price (for now). Only needed care until the end of school year, so we will see...

Between the 1 kid actually attending and the 2 part times still paying, i cant pay all my bills. I need this childcare grant to come through!
Annalee 05:45 AM 03-31-2020
I am still open and considered essential even after the shelter-in-place for our state yesterday, but I did work with licensing developing a plan, then talk with attending children and clarified days/times each would be attending and will now be closing early to limit exposure/contact.

I have now placed it back on my clients where if they do not comply, then the only alternative is to CLOSE. Hopefully, this whole thing will end soon because each day seems to bring something new.
lblanke 06:12 PM 03-31-2020
Guidance in Tennessee is that self-employed will be eligible for panedemic unemployment.

https://www.tn.gov/workforce/covid-1...SOi6jXl25tQprI
Pestle 12:40 PM 04-02-2020
The mayor just pulled the trigger--I'm closed as of this Saturday. I've sent out a message to my families that I'll be charging partial tuition. I only have two enrolled families right now so I'm dependent upon my husband's income; my mother's job is secure right now (medical coding!) and my MIL has a federal pension, so we'll tap them if my husband's job is affected. Right now, his job is in high demand--he's working with longhaul truckers, and some of the loads are FEMA supplies. Best case scenario, our income will only be minimally disrupted.
Ac114 03:06 PM 04-03-2020
Those providers in those states are not eligible for unemployment benefits. That is where the issue lies for so many of these providers.

I am one of those providers! Can’t claim unemployment, been closed for 2 weeks and have 4 more to go...for now. I am the only one working in my family. My MIL is kindly helping us with groceries and we have a small emergency fund but that will be gone by next month.
Unregistered 02:55 AM 04-23-2020

Why? So my child is “black balled”? A sentence like that shows how it’s only a business and not really for the kids. I see it as a business too, you provide a service, I pay you. I don’t have to like you, respect you, but you will treat my child right, based on state guidelines.

A provider like you, I would tell you and your business to shove that contact up your ass. Another daycare will take my child in...money talks.
Josiegirl 03:40 AM 04-23-2020
Why? So my child is “black balled”? A sentence like that shows how it’s only a business and not really for the kids. I see it as a business too, you provide a service, I pay you. I don’t have to like you, respect you, but you will treat my child right, based on state guidelines.

A provider like you, I would tell you and your business to shove that contact up your ass. Another daycare will take my child in...money talks.
And that other daycare would be so lucky to have you.
Josiegirl 03:54 AM 04-23-2020
I have a question:
If a provider only has a very small percentage of their regular group of children and therefore not earning nearly as much as before to live on and pay bills, do they have any option to file for partial unemployment?

Just curious.
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I have a question:
If a provider only has a very small percentage of their regular group of children and therefore not earning nearly as much as before to live on and pay bills, do they have any option to file for partial unemployment?

Just curious.
My understanding is that they can earn up to $300 per week without interfering with full benefits.

I don't know anyone who was approved and actually receieving benefits, though.
Lil_Diddle 07:08 AM 04-23-2020
My understanding is that they can earn up to $300 per week without interfering with full benefits.

I don't know anyone who was approved and actually receieving benefits, though.
I was just approved for unemployment under the PUA just today, I still need to file some forms, I’m not sure how any of it works yet. My income was cut to 1/4 of what it used to be not enough to get by.
Ariana 09:25 AM 04-23-2020
WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER

Except for when I have to pay my daycare provider
Blackcat31 10:02 AM 04-23-2020

This is such an old worn out argument.

....blah blah blah....hopefully the provider that takes your child in because money talks makes a fortune and makes sure you know it IS all about the money for them.
Tags:coronavirus, covid-19, payment during emergency
Reply Up