Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice on Biting Behaviours
amtnk 06:50 PM 11-09-2013
I have an 18 month old who is in my care 2 days a week who is biting. The first incident was when he bit my daughter on the face. He bit her so hard (twice in the same spot) that she had blood drawn. I left the playroom for a pee break and I came back to him on top of my daughter biting her face. She was a year old.

Second time, same thing happened except it was to another 1 yr old, who is much smaller, developmentally behind (doesn't walk, no words). I looked away for a second, and next thing you know he's on top of her, biting her legs. She had long pants on, but actually was biting her on the flesh.

Third time now, same little girl, except on her face and I was able to dive to them before he drew blood on hers.

I'm a small home daycare and I have enforced shadowing, closer monitoring, talking to parents, etc. I also found out he bites his parents too. What on earth would you do? Bitee parents are upset and want me to kick him out.
JoseyJo 09:20 PM 11-09-2013
I would term. No way I would keep a child who has bit 3 other children, especially drawing blood.
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 11-10-2013
You almost HAVE to term. It's your job to keep everyone safe. If I were the bittee's parents I would pull my kid immediately if you didn't term the biter immediately.

There is NO way I would be willing to risk the safety of the other children in my care because of one kid who bites. Especially when you've already tried most the remedies providers can.

Some kids bite. It isn't always cut and dried as to why and it is a common misconception that providers HAVE to continue working with a biter.

Just because biting is a common issue in early childhood doesn't mean it has to YOUR issue.

Term the biter immediately before you lose any clients or worse yet....you get sued for damages.
Cradle2crayons 09:15 AM 11-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You almost HAVE to term. It's your job to keep everyone safe. If I were the bittee's parents I would pull my kid immediately if you didn't term the biter immediately.

There is NO way I would be willing to risk the safety of the other children in my care because of one kid who bites. Especially when you've already tried most the remedies providers can.

Some kids bite. It isn't always cut and dried as to why and it is a common misconception that providers HAVE to continue working with a biter.

Just because biting is a common issue in early childhood doesn't mean it has to YOUR issue.

Term the biter immediately before you lose any clients or worse yet....you get sued for damages.
I agree.

There ARE situations where the biting can be handled but you said this child is biting at home. Apparently the parents expect YOU to fix this. Put it back on them. TERM.immediately.And. Fast.
Tags:biting
Reply Up